• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If we had a real center we would've been able to run the ball with Flacco. Hell, if we had an AVERAGE center we could run the ball. Sure, Flacco made his mistakes, but make no mistakes at all. Skura was the biggest detriment on this offense and it's not even close. He made the offense way too one dimmensional. Had we had an average center we probably are able to establish the run more and we probably win the division handily with how pathetic the Steelers look, how injured the Bengals are, and how young the Browns are. But nope, the FO continues to neglect the oline and Skura is a high character guy so Harbaugh loves him and probably told the FO "nope, we don't need to replace Jensen".

Skura is average my ass. With an average center, next to Yanda nonetheless, we would've been able to run the ball with Lamar. This FO sucks and Harbaugh needs to go.
How has James Daniels done this year?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
He's playing at guard and is ranked #34 per PFF with an average grade, but his overall grade as a blocker is still higher than Skura's which is maddening, especially since I strongly believe that this is the best Skura is ever going to be, and that Daniels could be a quality ten year starter at the NFL level. Maybe not a pro bowler or anything, but a good ten year starter is a great get in the second round

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Bears coach specifically mentioned Daniels when talking about who was the key part of limiting Aaron Donald to only one QB hit. Daniels is going to be very good and he’s starting to play like it.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we had a real center we would've been able to run the ball with Flacco. Hell, if we had an AVERAGE center we could run the ball. Sure, Flacco made his mistakes, but make no mistakes at all. Skura was the biggest detriment on this offense and it's not even close. He made the offense way too one dimmensional. Had we had an average center we probably are able to establish the run more and we probably win the division handily with how pathetic the Steelers look, how injured the Bengals are, and how young the Browns are. But nope, the FO continues to neglect the oline and Skura is a high character guy so Harbaugh loves him and probably told the FO "nope, we don't need to replace Jensen".

Skura is average my ass. With an average center, next to Yanda nonetheless, we would've been able to run the ball with Lamar. This FO sucks and Harbaugh needs to go.
I think you've hit on it. It isn't as if Skura isn't busting his butt trying to get the job done.
I remind myself that our FO watched Gradkowski through an entire year of practice and development and decided we were good with him at center.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He's playing at guard and is ranked #34 per PFF with an average grade, but his overall grade as a blocker is still higher than Skura's which is maddening, especially since I strongly believe that this is the best Skura is ever going to be, and that Daniels could be a quality ten year starter at the NFL level. Maybe not a pro bowler or anything, but a good ten year starter is a great get in the second round
Yeahh I understand taking a well rounded TE in the first but we would’ve been better off taking lamar at 25 and then jumping ahead for James Daniels, will Hernandez, or most importantly Anthony miller just because he’s my favorite prospect maybe ever

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Yeahh I understand taking a well rounded TE in the first but we would’ve been better off taking lamar at 25 and then jumping ahead for James Daniels, will Hernandez, or most importantly Anthony miller just because he’s my favorite prospect maybe ever
I liked miller but Hernandez would've essentially given us an elite run blocking oline from the get go with Skura as the only notable liability assuming Brown Jr. would still start at RT at some point even with James fucking Hurst on the team.

Seriously, this oline makes me think Harbaugh has more power in the war room than he should

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I liked miller but Hernandez would've essentially given us an elite run blocking oline from the get go with Skura as the only notable liability assuming Brown Jr. would still start at RT at some point even with James fucking Hurst on the team.

Seriously, this oline makes me think Harbaugh has more power in the war room than he should
I’ve always thought Harbaugh had a big say in the war room, and yes James hurst, Alex Lewis, Gino gradkowski, and skura are prime examples of why, those are all Harbaugh guys and we ignore needs because harbs believes in them

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ve always thought Harbaugh had a big say in the war room, and yes James hurst, Alex Lewis, Gino gradkowski, and skura are prime examples of why, those are all Harbaugh guys and we ignore needs because harbs believes in them
Werent skura and hurst undrafted......

doesn’t fit your narrative

Last edited:

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
You were on Miller early. I liked him too but I think you had him as our pick at sixteen in one of your mocks, unless I 'm mixing that up.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I could see it now.

Ozzie: I would like to draft Will Hernandez. Since we know we are going to trade up for Lamar Jackson, I would like to partner a guard up with Yanda so we have a quality successor when it comes to this.
Eric: I agree, seems logical
Harbaugh: What are you talking about? We have James Hurst and Alex Lewis. Hurst is one of the best pulling guards in the league(Hint: He never was) and Lewis is quality as well.
Ozzie: Oh bullshit, we need to upgrade the line. Right Steve?
Biscoitt: *too busy focusing on his business and calculating the money Lamar Jackson jersey's are going to make him*.. Erm, listen to John, he knows the team best.
Ozzie: I fucking hate all of you

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Werent skura and hurst undrafted......

doesn’t fit your narrative
You’re misunderstanding. Those are all Harbaugh guys, so Harbaugh tells Ozzie to fuck off when he goes to draft a center or G because Harbaugh isn’t gonna play them anyway.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
You’re misunderstanding. Those are all Harbaugh guys, so Harbaugh tells Ozzie to fuck off when he goes to draft a center or G because Harbaugh isn’t gonna play them anyway.
Hell, Ozzie drafted Orlando Brown Jr. and didn't play him at first anyways in favor of James fucking Hurst

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Which leads me to this - we have two undrafted free agents starting on the Oline. That should never happen. Put more resources into the damn line

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Even though he has “gotten better” recently, he still gets consistently bulled into the pocket multiple times a week. He needs to be replaced.
I’d like him to be replaced as well, but he is definitely serviceable