• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes, he’s not good at anchoring. That being said his previous games under Lamar were serviceable, but I credit the LJ for this 100%.
I’d like Skura at LG or Hurst there and Bozeman at C if he knows the calls. That latter part is the big question

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Think we may have found a player in Bozeman that can play LG or even C next season. Over the last couple weeks he has had major improvement in both run and pass blocking. His last two weeks PFF grades as a Pass Blocker have been 79.2 and 83.8 respectively and as a run blocker 70.1 and 71.9 respectively.

Bozeman has played a total of 48 snaps over the last two weeks. 27 vs. the Bucs and 21 vs. the Chargers, per PFF

Here's to our newest 'Bama starter or soon to be starter @allblackraven

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Think we may have found a player in Bozeman that can play LG or even C next season. Over the last couple weeks he has had major improvement in both run and pass blocking. His last two weeks PFF grades as a Pass Blocker have been 79.2 and 83.8 respectively and as a run blocker 70.1 and 71.9 respectively.

Bozeman has played a total of 48 snaps over the last two weeks. 27 vs. the Bucs and 21 vs. the Chargers, per PFF

If we hit on a good one in draft, we should be fine next year.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

The thing with Bozeman is it shows. PFF sometimes grades guys too well or not well enough but in this case I’d agree. The thing about OL is they typically struggle when they first start but should gradually improve and we’ve seen that. It would be amazing if we got two starters on OL in the same draft.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we hit on a good one in draft, we should be fine next year.
I would still look at IOL because Yanda could straight up retire and if he doesn’t I’d rather put Bozeman at LG than C if he hasn’t proven anything there. Bozeman could be our future Yanda replacement. I would still like one of Gaillard or Biadasz

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The thing with Bozeman is it shows. PFF sometimes grades guys too well or not well enough but in this case I’d agree. The thing about OL is they typically struggle when they first start but should gradually improve and we’ve seen that. It would be amazing if we got two starters on OL in the same draft.

And don’t forget that senat looked even better than Bozeman in preseason lol

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
And don’t forget that senat looked even better than Bozeman in preseason lol
I keep forgetting about him. I’m not getting my hopes up on him though because I’ve seen plenty of preseason HoF players in my time who did nothing. I appreciate what you’re saying, and I won’t write him off, but these IR-stash guys don’t excite me anymore. Hopefully Senat becomes another Jensen though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Oh look Bozeman is playing well.. He may have started off slow in pass pro but he's a rookie, development was inevitable for a player as smart as him...

You mean to tell me that we are still starting Skura at C despite him being a clear cut utter liability.... Guys, Bozeman was an excellent C in a power scheme in college, he's never going to be anything special, but he could be a ten year starter at C in the pros..... I mean FFS Harbaugh just because he's a rookie doesn't mean crap.... I don't care if Bozeman is raw, unlike Skura HE HAS UPSIDE... He's not going to develop on the bench. He has a reverse Lamar problem. Bozeman is mentally there, he's technically sound and well-coached, he's just an average NFL athlete... AT LEAST HE CAN ANCHOR.

Jesus H. Christ dude. Get it together. Had we played Brown and Bozeman from the get go we could have probably established a running game without Lamar.

This rookie class garners two possible starters at the oline and we start James Hurst and Matt Skura at RT and C respectively when clear cut probable upgrades who actually have long term upside are on the roster. I don't care if we make the postseason or not, I want Harbaugh FIRED over shit like this... It is becoming clearer and clearer to me that I have misdirected the actual blame. It's Harbaugh's BS that has led to this neglect, not Ozzie. @JoeyFlex5 is probably right. Come offseason time, Harbaugh says "his guys" are good enough when one of them is a liability at the most important position in the unit, and the other one is a competent G but also injured our franchise QB in 2015 and basically all of the blame for his decline can be put onto him. And when Ozzie DOES address the oline, Harbaugh misuses the talent(Lewis had all the makings of a competent RT or at the very worst a backup swing tackle. *Harbaugh moves him to guard, where he's basically a slightly better version of Hurst as a pass blocker but even worse as a run blocker*), or benches them in favor of his guys.

I'm sorry Ozzie. It's completely obvious now that the problem hasn't been you. You're fine. It's this BS where Harbaugh fits square pegs into round holes, benches rookies unless he has to, keeps on his friends for too long(see Marty, Cam, etc). And completely misjudged other hires(Trestman. I mean Wink is proving himself to be a good DC but this defense is far better suited for a 4-3 with the talent Ozzie has acquired over the years. Hell, even CJ would benefit). This Ravens team is talented enough to make a run..... Not sure if we can do it with Harbaugh.

Harbaugh with a good OC and DC(okay, Wink is a good DC but I'd like to see this D as a 4-3..... Not a complaint, just an opinion) is fine... But he has a terrible OC(with two more than capable replacements on the roster, one in which has been the OC of a super bowl team with a QB who was even more limited than Lamar) who could fuck up the development of the rookie QB we have. Please get rid of him... He won't get rid of Marty, and we probably won't get a new C either..... Or LG... We just have to hope Yanda doesn't retire....

rossihunter2

Staff Member
he's never going to be anything special, but he could be a ten year starter at C in the pros

i mean tbf that's a bit of an oxymoron - being a ten year starter at C in the NFL is pretty special but that's just me being a pedant...

in terms of Bozeman im not sure i want him moved to C, he's doing well at LG and I think he's going to keep getting playing time
@Filmstudy made a good point in his podcast that as a team we've facilitated change recently by using a rotation at certain positions (except OL) and allowed that process to find the starter or best combo...

i think that's what's kinda happening at LG (albeit partly due to injuries etc.) but i think it's becoming hard to deny what Bozeman adds to the line - he has some plus qualities that improve elements of our line play

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i mean tbf that's a bit of an oxymoron - being a ten year starter at C in the NFL is pretty special but that's just me being a pedant...

in terms of Bozeman im not sure i want him moved to C, he's doing well at LG and I think he's going to keep getting playing time
@Filmstudy made a good point in his podcast that as a team we've facilitated change recently by using a rotation at certain positions (except OL) and allowed that process to find the starter or best combo...

i think that's what's kinda happening at LG (albeit partly due to injuries etc.) but i think it's becoming hard to deny what Bozeman adds to the line - he has some plus qualities that improve elements of our line play
There’s no reason imo to not play him at C. We can either take a career center from a successful college program who’s known as a technically refined and heady kid and put him in his natural position(which is our biggest weakness) or we could do the harbaugh thing, draft a guy who played goddamn tackle in college, move him to G for a year, experiment with him at C the following year, see the failure, play our starting C as a backup G to hurst and keep skura starting until bozemans last year then finally start Bozeman, watch him play himself out of our price range.

This exact shit happened with Jensen, urschel, and zuttah. We should’ve had minimum 2 years of quality C play from Jensen but harbaugh insisted on zuttah and urschel over him and only went to him when he was the only possible option, and we saw that we were right and harbs was wrong all along.

The fact that Bozeman is playing this well yet isn’t replacing our biggest liability at his natural position is like fucking Groundhog Day.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There’s no reason imo to not play him at C. We can either take a career center from a successful college program who’s known as a technically refined and heady kid and put him in his natural position(which is our biggest weakness) or we could do the harbaugh thing, draft a guy who played goddamn tackle in college, move him to G for a year, experiment with him at C the following year, see the failure, play our starting C as a backup G to hurst and keep skura starting until bozemans last year then finally start Bozeman, watch him play himself out of our price range.

This exact shit happened with Jensen, urschel, and zuttah. We should’ve had minimum 2 years of quality C play from Jensen but harbaugh insisted on zuttah and urschel over him and only went to him when he was the only possible option, and we saw that we were right and harbs was wrong all along.

The fact that Bozeman is playing this well yet isn’t replacing our biggest liability at his natural position is like fucking Groundhog Day.

tbf the Jensen thing is not entirely on Harbs because just as he was coming on he had the whole sleep apnea thing which destroyed his progression and he basically had to start all over again

but i do see your point - and i dont mind either way - the 2 weak spots on our OL are LG and C and they seem to alternate bad games with each other no matter who's there so I'd like Bozeman to start at one of those two spots but which one I dont really care