• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I mean really though... what’s to say pierce couldn’t learn to play guard... physically he’s the most imposing player on this roster lol

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
never understood why a powerful interior D linesman couldn't do something decent at the guard position tbh

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
never understood why a powerful interior D linesman couldn't do something decent at the guard position tbh
My opinion as to why the two positions are not necessarily as compatible as one would like to think is the same reason a great WR wouldn't make a great CB. The WR and DL positions only attack knowing the moves they make. The more difficult positions are CB and OL where they have to defend against the pass or pass rush mirroring movement which requires incredible twitch and study. At least that is my best guess. Of course the situation flips a little bit when OL run blocks but still....

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ronnie Stanley always works a two point stance when he pulls. He'll sometimes block from two point in obvious passing sets or if he's worried about a spike in B gap while he needs to get outside but he always works from two point on pulls.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
don't know what he's thinking here
GT stanley.gif

makes amends later I suppose
counter gt.gif

Maybe on run plays but what about pass sets in a two point stance going backwards?

On another topic I think our offense is going to suffer this season without a quality LG. With Jackson and Ingram we needed to establish consistency and a tempo with a strong interior oline

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe on run plays but what about pass sets in a two point stance going backwards?

On another topic I think our offense is going to suffer this season without a quality LG. With Jackson and Ingram we needed to establish consistency and a tempo with a strong interior oline

I really hope they give Powers a fair shake at the job but I dunno. How could they not start Brown Jr at RT at the beginning of the season. We might be armchair guys but anybody with common sense could tell he earned that job.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

I think we may have a serviceable LG in Bozeman or Powers. Skura at Center will be our Achilles heel.

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
Ronnie Stanley always works a two point stance when he pulls. He'll sometimes block from two point in obvious passing sets or if he's worried about a spike in B gap while he needs to get outside but he always works from two point on pulls.

In posting this, I hope you understand I'm not trying to put down anyone's observations, but I saw this comment and was very interested to see if this was true. While it is common for him to pull from a 2-point stance, particularly to the right, I didn't note it as an exclusive tendency. From my own charting and checked his pulls from the first 5 weeks and found these 4 pulls from a 3-point stance (among 7 total pulls):

(W3, Q1, 6:55)
(W4, Q4, 2:17)
(W4, Q3, 6:34)
(W5, Q1, 15:00)

Given the claims by the Chargers after the playoff game, I'm interested in checking tendency claims about Stanley or the Ravens linemen in general.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
In posting this, I hope you understand I'm not trying to put down anyone's observations, but I saw this comment and was very interested to see if this was true. While it is common for him to pull from a 2-point stance, particularly to the right, I didn't note it as an exclusive tendency. From my own charting and checked his pulls from the first 5 weeks and found these 4 pulls from a 3-point stance (among 7 total pulls):

Given the claims by the Chargers after the playoff game, I'm interested in checking tendency claims about Stanley or the Ravens linemen in general.
Have you watched Melvin Ingram's filmstudy session with Baldy? He basically said they knew what was coming from the OLs stance and alignments.
I hope this was addressed in their "new" playbook

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

No problem at all. It is not a surprise to me that I might have missed something so I'm very glad for it to be pointed out.
I'm referring to each time he is a lead block on counters or in his pulling to the right specifically as opposed to runs outside of him and to his side. I'll admit to having watched the Lamar (as opposed to the Joe stuff) more closely and even then its possible I missed something but I can't recall seeing one pull to the right where he is in three point which could be a tell. ( also the 3rd quarter Pitt play looks like 2 point to me for what it's worth).
Have you seen any pulls to the right where he is in 3 point?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Filmstudy
In going over The Lamar games (not including playoffs), I found these:
vs. Cin:
RS pull 1- 8:13 (2pt)

vs. Raiders:
3rd Q - 11:48 , 8:55, 2:13 (2 pt)

vs. falcons:
3rd Q - 11:50, 10:32, 1:41 (2pt)

vs. KC:
2Q - 7:49, 1:59 (2pt)

vs. Tampa - not much - there is a near A gap fold block from 3pt

vs LA:
1Q - 2:50 (2pt)

vs. Cleveland - 1Q - 6:10 - (2pt)
2Q - 15:00 - (2pt)
3Q - 9:30 - 2pt

Of the 14 right side pulls I caught (assuming I haven't missed any), all 14 were out of a two point stance. I'm not certain how much much or what this means to a defense specifically. I have some thoughts about it but its really just an observation.
I'm curious if you have noticed Stanley perform RS pulls from three point from earlier in the season?
(along with these and over the course. of these games I also noted four leads left - two from 2pt and 2 out of 3pt)

edit: just checked the wild card vs LA: 1 pull of any sort...it was to the right and it was indeed from two point. (3Q - 9:52)

Last edited:

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Went through the Flacco term from 2018 looking for counters and pulls from LT to right side. Here is what I found: ( again, It's entirely within the realm that I missed something but...)

1) Ravens asked Stanley to pull left to right 18 times throughout the year. I counted only 4 while Flacco was QB. 3/4 were from a two point stance, 1 was from 3 point. ( vs Carolina - q1 @ 11;03) I'll note that on this pull, Stanley had two TE directly outside of him at/near the line. This was a nice call, though the play netted a loss. It was a direct pitch behind to the back and while Stanleys job was to kick, the end read the direct toss and Stanley who was flat and as a consequence, whiffed. The backside TE blocks did not hold up and the back was downed for a loss.

2) For the remainder of the season (w/Lamar), The Ravens asked the same of Stanley an additional 14 times. Each of the 14 were from 2 point.
I would consider 17-18 a tendency. It was almost certainly a tell or at the very least an alert call.
For example:

3) This is a difficult block, period and a near impossible blocking assignment for a center if a DE follows flat based on a pre snap key. The Chiefs made alert and crashed both DE flat while blitzing a DB and covering contain, while rotating a 3tech outside along with frontside linebacker flow/fill. In short, they watched the previous week vs Atlanta and saw it coming.

Stanley is being coached to play this call from two point so I'm not putting this on him. These pulls are staples of the spread/college offense and I would expect more of this. In a perfect world, Stanley could or would pull more from 3 ( to my mind) on these plays if only to obscure.

The fact of the matter, however is that if you build in the right tag or attach an RPO look and the QB makes the "right" read, You can continue favoring 2 point as a tendency and exploit the dickens out of a defense....which is where I would spend the work, if a given that they like Stanley from 2 point. For example:

film 1.gif

It appears here that Jackson could have read the DB blitz and thrown the screen to Willie with The Ravens having numbers on the perimeter.

Reactions: cdp
I noticed theres a few (average) linemen remaining in free agency like Chance Warmack and Jeff Allen, either would be an upgrade from Lewis and Hurst at LG. Allen can play 4 positions

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I noticed theres a few (average) linemen remaining in free agency like Chance Warmack and Jeff Allen, either would be an upgrade from Lewis and Hurst at LG. Allen can play 4 positions
Idk I'd rather trade for a G or C.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
But trade what? Any decent G or C will likely cost a 2nd in terms of picks or a quality player the Ravens can't afford to part with
Why can’t they afford to part with a 2nd? I’d rather spend a 2nd to get a sure fire high end starter at a gaping hole on this roster at a position that doesn’t cost THAT much contract wise, than have a 2nd round pick that honestly has like a 1/10 chance of panning out.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Why can’t they afford to part with a 2nd? I’d rather spend a 2nd to get a sure fire high end starter at a gaping hole on this roster at a position that doesn’t cost THAT much contract wise, than have a 2nd round pick that honestly has like a 1/10 chance of panning out.
Definitely, but who’s parting with a decent center. I’m afraid no one.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

High end starter is a 1st. I was saying mediocre starter to get a 2nd for that a team likely has a better option (after all no team is going to neuter their own offensive line without significant compensation).