• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Forget the perceived talent, but am I glad we got Marlon Humphrey instead of Ramsey. The difference in talent between them is minimal with regard to talent imo, especially with a couple of years of experience, but the difference in character is humungous. And we have an awesome LT for years to come as a bonus for not trading up for Ramsey. Humphrey is a class act as is Stanley.

Tank

Hall of Famer
“Should’ve traded up for Ramsey!” -fan base of a team with the nfls best secondary and a top 5 LT

upload_2019-6-22_16-45-20.jpeg

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Forget the perceived talent, but am I glad we got Marlon Humphrey instead of Ramsey. The difference in talent between them is minimal with regard to talent imo, especially with a couple of years of experience, but the difference in character is humungous. And we have an awesome LT for years to come as a bonus for not trading up for Ramsey. Humphrey is a class act as is Stanley.

Yep we could have had either Ramsey or Tunsil *wipes sweat off the forehead*. The safe bet turned out pretty damn good.

@Ellicottraven Humphreys hasn't even peaked yet and he's better than Ramsey imo.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't go as far to say that Humphrey is better than Ramsay but in my eyes an elite shutdown corner isn't needed to for an elite secondary. I don't think Marlon is elite, but he's a top 15-25 corner in the league which is more than good enough. An A-tier player.

I don't want to hear it frankly about Ramsey. He's a better player than either Humphrey or Stanley, but Ramsey has destroyed his locker room.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't go as far to say that Humphrey is better than Ramsay but in my eyes an elite shutdown corner isn't needed to for an elite secondary. I don't think Marlon is elite, but he's a top 15-25 corner in the league which is more than good enough. An A-tier player.

I don't want to hear it frankly about Ramsey. He's a better player than either Humphrey or Stanley, but Ramsey has destroyed his locker room.
I wouldn't say Humphrey is elite but he is a damn good corner and I would take Stanley or Humphrey over Ramsay any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Ramsey had a down year and I think Ramsey is due for a decline, he’s showing all the signs, had one huge year on the most stacked D in the league, came out the next year and talked mad shit and made controversial statements and pissed people off, his play declined, his team was ass, he shit on his own teammates, and now he’s basically telling his team y’all fucked up and you won’t afford me when I hit free agency.

Players who go through this shit NEVER end up winning in the end, like never, these situations almost always seem to spark a decline. Ramsey honestly should’ve declared as a strong safety where his skill set was maybe the best I’ve ever seen, but I think he can be exposed as a corner, his mirror skills against quicker route runners are subpar.

That said, I think he’s in the top 3 until someone knocks him off, and I truly think Humphrey is one who could do that. I absolutely think Humphrey is elite and a top 5 corner, he doesn’t have the long track record for people to comfortably say that, but but I don’t see any corner playing with the same combination of speed, physicality, and raw bullish defender mentality that Humphrey plays with.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I knew Stanley would be a better player in pass protection than Tunsil because of his better footwork. I was very happy when we drafted him.
I actually thought tunsil would be the better pass protector but Stanley the better run blocker, at least from day one, because Stanley ran pro run concepts and tunsils run block reps were essentially no different than his pass block reps, because ya know... ole miss. I fucking hate that school so bad, so much talent and they refuse to prep players for the nfl.

purp

Practice Squad
Stanley over Tunsil was one of those quintessential actual GM vs. Armchair GM picks. What Stanley lacked in tangibles (very little) he more than made up for in intangibles coming out of college and it has been proven out over the course of the two rookie contracts.

Humphrey vs. Ramsey is different imo. Ramsey is a more talented football player in my eyes (Don’t get me wrong, Hump is an A- to Ramsey’s A+ purely from a talent perspective with the difference being ball skills), but Humphrey’s mental game is so much more mature than Ramsey’s that it makes them equal.

That said, I think the Ravens would be a better defense with Ramsey than with Humphrey simply because of coaching, scheme and aforementioned ball skills. However, I don’t think they would be a better team. Humphrey has more value because he’s 90% as talented but 70–80% of the cost. We should honestly thank Ramsey for tilting the market. Humphrey is prototypical and I’m glad he’s a Raven.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

and the reason, I'm glad we didn't trade up for him. I'd also say Hump is better than top 15-25 now, with a very real possibility of being top 10. Agree with your other statements as well.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
is this still the offensive line topic?
Absolutely. Rumor has it that Marvin has gained so much weight since the beginning of the recent conversation about Stanley, Tunsil, and Ramsey that he'll try out as G or C. Harbs hasn't commented on this yet.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Absolutely. Rumor has it that Marvin has gained so much weight since the beginning of the recent conversation about Stanley, Tunsil, and Ramsey that he'll try out as G or C. Harbs hasn't commented on this yet.
he could start if this is true

Tank

Hall of Famer
Marlon hangin’ with Pierce?