• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

wrongbaldy

Practice Squad
the battles in TC are going to be awesome. imagine all the OL guys having to go against BWILL, suggs, c davis, pierce, judon, kaufusi, urban,wormley, timmy ALL SUMMER!!!!!!!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
My bad it was his OLine coach turner that said he is so strong hard and stout he could get run over and get up like nothing happened. He and Stanley are really gonna be ferocious on thatside
Do you have a link. Would be interesting to listen to it in its entirety

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
the battles in TC are going to be awesome. imagine all the OL guys having to go against BWILL, suggs, c davis, pierce, judon, kaufusi, urban,wormley, timmy ALL SUMMER!!!!!!!

Have to think that this will only make them better as a result. Looking forward to it!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You don't like Lewis at RT? Could he adjust and play well there?
@Sami84 im not a huge fan of Lewis at guard. Actually I thought he was a liability and feel he could be a strength at RT. He filled in adrmirably at LT when Stanley was out for four games. Go back and watch some of his college game tape as well.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Do you have a link. Would be interesting to listen to it in its entirety

I'll try but ipad having trouble with bigger links lately. I read it on espn. Try Eluemunor draft steal coach turner espn as search phrase and you should see it on front page. Interesting article that fronts a glimpse of how impressive of a specimen Eluemunor is. Turner is genuinely impressed by him. He was raw but played very well on sheer strength and athleticism. Many labeled him a powerful but isolated plodding player. Then really shocked by the way he moves. More experienced and he may of been top40 pick or better.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'll try but ipad having trouble with bigger links lately. I read it on espn. Try Eluemunor draft steal coach turner espn as search phrase and you should see it on front page. Interesting article that fronts a glimpse of how impressive of a specimen Eluemunor is. Turner is genuinely impressed by him. He was raw but played very well on sheer strength and athleticism. Many labeled him a powerful but isolated plodding player. And really shocked by the way he moves. More experienced and he may of been top40 pick or better.
Good article. It's written by Dan Arritt

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Good article. It's written by Dan Arritt

Yes it was. Great article. I believe coach turner made the right call telling Eli to not hide his inexperience from NFL teams. By end of year he was playing lights out for such an inexperienced player who recently learned the plays with only 10 starts at that level. So teams know he was playing that well to be a top5 tackle with only 10 starts.

He is probably athletic enough to play RT at a high level although length is his one knock at 6'3 1/2 335lbs and 33 1/2 arms. But his feet are very quick and explosive getting into blocks. He probably needs more experience and coaching before winning a job especially at tackle. However I wouldn't discount him winning left guard as a rookie. He is that strong and athletic that he could play well enough before gaining experience. Much like KO did as a rookie. He wasn't experienced enough for Tackle. But he dominated some all pro players as a guard including Wilfork. Eli has similar skills. Not as long as KO but slightly more athletic and faster movement.

If Eli wins left guard as a rookie it would mean we found a new promising mauling guard to replace KO as an enforcer. And it would mran a huge win for the draft, O-Line and offense. Stanley and Eli on the left side is ferocious. Then the next question is can Lewis play right tackle at least in the same league as Wagner. Which would leave center as the only hole. However it would leave a competition of young impressive players Urschel Jensen and Siragusa.

2015 320lb mauling athletic Jensen shows up the job is his without question. and Center is a plus position for the ravens. If undersized 2016 Jensen shows up it will be a battle for the starting center job. It wouldn't eliminate Jensen from contention but he will have to show consistent technique to fight off Siragusa a young strong athletic rookie. If Siragusa has trouble transitioning to center it brings Urschel into the mix. He can at least be a solid center but not the mauling dominant style Harbaugh is looking for at O-Line. The preferred scenario is the bigger 2015 version of Jensen shows up. Then the Offensive line is really in business.

It may sound like a string of if's. However it isn't a stretch or unreasonable to see the better version of Jensen. Then Lewis return to his natural position of tackle and play well. He blocks with great feel and instincts and was underrated in his draft class. Then Eluemunor is a rare physical specimen. It isn't a stretch for him to impress as a rookie. He was inexperienced but dominating by end of season. Is more physically gifted than Moton and Dawkins. But didn't have enough tape to justify a round2-3 pick. But if you judge him by his last couple games he is round2 all day. Terrell Davis was drafted in round6 based On 2 games he got in and played well. Very well actually. Shanahan said if he played in more games and his tape looked like that he was a top5 draft pick. Similar could be said of Eli. Maybe not top5 pick but You get Pic

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Chargers just released LG Orlando Franklin. Now he's battled injuries throughout his tenure with the Chargers but could he be a stop gap at LG if the rookies don't show anything and Lewis locks down RT? Or would you rather keep Lewis at LG, and sign King Dunlap and have him as a veteran stop gap at RT?

The Raven

Veteran
I’ve heard it said the there is a difference between how the public views the O line situation and how the organization views it.

We only see about 1% of what goes on, but what we've seen of Hurst, Jensen and Urschel doesn't indicate to us that these guys are starter quality. If we make no moves, at least one of them will likely need to start - and one potentially at the critical C position. They didn't start last year and didn't play well when injuries forced them in the lineup. Having them fill in now feels like a downgrade from last year - and last year this unit was far from stellar as it is.

Is a new approach in terms of coaching staff going to change that? Maybe, but I'm not sure I'm buying. Perhaps Nembot or Wesley are better than we think, but starter-worthy? Elumenor is far to raw to imagine being more than deep depth. Siragusa could be a wild-card here, but I am not excited at the prospect of him taking the C position as a rook. We've seen that movie recently and it had a bad ending (Gino). Mangold seems like the obvious answer, but - again, since we only see the 1% - we have no idea what the FO sees in him and he could be a true liability from a health standpoint.

No matter how you slice it - the unit - at least for me - is still a major concern.

I think our coaching staff values certain traits in offensive linemen more than others, and I think that our run schemes often ask our linemen to do things they aren't suited for. Ryan Jensen and Jeremy Zuttah are the perfect examples. Zuttah was a top ten center in the wide zone (that hurt to type), but simply couldn't move people in a gap scheme. Jensen could, but he lacks the mobility and footwork that I believe the coaches liked in Zuttah.

Jensen is starting caliber. Our run game did better when he was on the field. But for whatever reason -- I suspect it's pass blocking -- he didn't see the field.

Now, dumping Zuttah without a clear replacement, and having Jensen in house, that makes it abundantly clear to me that our coaches are beginning to value different traits. Look at Alex Lewis, Siragusa, and Jermaine, and there's a clear trend now of favoring maulers who might have suspect athleticism. Jensen might find the edge in the center battle because of that.

As for Hurst, he's developed really well, and the only thing that really holds him back is a lack of size. I think he gets an undue amount of criticism after a horrid rookie year, but he really did take a big step forward in year two. I'd feel relatively okay with him being a swing tackle. He's not a mauler by any means, but his pass pro has gotten better.

Urschel has a lot of untapped potential. I just think he thinks too much on the field. He punished dudes in college but now, he's soft. Not sure what's up with that.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I think our coaching staff values certain traits in offensive linemen more than others, and I think that our run schemes often ask our linemen to do things they aren't suited for. Ryan Jensen and Jeremy Zuttah are the perfect examples. Zuttah was a top ten center in the wide zone (that hurt to type), but simply couldn't move people in a gap scheme. Jensen could, but he lacks the mobility and footwork that I believe the coaches liked in Zuttah.

Jensen is starting caliber. Our run game did better when he was on the field. But for whatever reason -- I suspect it's pass blocking -- he didn't see the field.

Now, dumping Zuttah without a clear replacement, and having Jensen in house, that makes it abundantly clear to me that our coaches are beginning to value different traits. Look at Alex Lewis, Siragusa, and Jermaine, and there's a clear trend now of favoring maulers who might have suspect athleticism. Jensen might find the edge in the center battle because of that.

As for Hurst, he's developed really well, and the only thing that really holds him back is a lack of size. I think he gets an undue amount of criticism after a horrid rookie year, but he really did take a big step forward in year two. I'd feel relatively okay with him being a swing tackle. He's not a mauler by any means, but his pass pro has gotten better.

Urschel has a lot of untapped potential. I just think he thinks too much on the field. He punished dudes in college but now, he's soft. Not sure what's up with that.

He punished dudes as a rook. He is getting to lean to play line dominant. As a rook the patriots defensive line mates were asking who is that dude!!! Jensen lost size to from 2015 to 2016. Last 4 games 2015 he was top rated guard in the league. He was as thick as Osemele. Then last yr he looked like an undersized zone center next to Stanley. If we get 2015 330lb yet athletic jensen he is a top 5 center. If it's smaller Jensen then 6'4 320lb Siragusa has a real chance to win center.

The line has serious potential. But I really would of liked Lamp or Robinson late round one. Our Oline would potentially be the best with competition of young bulls across.

The Greek

Veteran
michael oher was released today and is still under the concussion protocol. if he is cleared by doctors is he worth a look? we as fans have no insight as to how the other guys are holding up yet

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
michael oher was released today and is still under the concussion protocol. if he is cleared by doctors is he worth a look? we as fans have no insight as to how the other guys are holding up yet
Eh, he has gotten worse every year. Maybe better than anything we currently have but if he keeps regressing then we're better off with James hurst.

If I'm wrong and truth wants to correct me, so be it, but I know when I've watched the panthers he stuck out like a sore thumb

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Eh, he has gotten worse every year. Maybe better than anything we currently have but if he keeps regressing then we're better off with James hurst.

If I'm wrong and truth wants to correct me, so be it, but I know when I've watched the panthers he stuck out like a sore thumb
lol I'm sorry. It does feel like I've went specifically after your posts at times, but I want to assure you that it isn't the case. I just touch base on what catches my eye. If it helps, I'm in agreement here. He was arguably solid as a pass blocker in 2015, but that was basically the highlight in recent years and he didn't fare well before the injury last year. He's had a torrid path after his rookie season. He's also played LT during the last two years, and the forced switches haven't been kind to him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
lol I'm sorry. It does feel like I've went specifically after your posts at times, but I want to assure you that it isn't the case. I just touch base on what catches my eye. If it helps, I'm in agreement here. He was arguably solid as a pass blocker in 2015, but that was basically the highlight in recent years and he didn't fare well before the injury last year. He's had a torrid path after his rookie season. He's also played LT during the last two years, and the forced switches haven't been kind to him.
wasnt implying that you go after my posts lol, you do it to everyone, its what youre here for! i need to be corrected on nfl stuff anyway because i havent been able to really watch football for the past 3 years(working 7pm-7am saturday night and sunday night does that to ya) and really ive just watched the ravens games DVR'ed when i wake up in a haze at 3:30pm on sunday lol. ive been able to watch college film in my free time, but football hasnt matched my schedule lately.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
wasnt implying that you go after my posts lol, you do it to everyone, its what youre here for! i need to be corrected on nfl stuff anyway because i havent been able to really watch football for the past 3 years(working 7pm-7am saturday night and sunday night does that to ya) and really ive just watched the ravens games DVR'ed when i wake up in a haze at 3:30pm on sunday lol. ive been able to watch college film in my free time, but football hasnt matched my schedule lately.
Ah, good. That's a relief, and you're absolutely right. It's been a hobby of mine to research compelling and intriguing posts; it gets me motivated to delve into the stats, tape, etc. A lot of times I chime in on people's posts with they're small tidbits that equal to minor adjustments. Could be considered nitpicking at times, though I'm just interested in offering a second opinion. I feel you with regards to the schedules. You are preaching to the choir. I can personally admit to being well behind during draft coverage in the past two years, and I haven't been able to do the tape reviews to the same extent as in the past. Doesn't help that the new interface for NFL GamePass lacks a search button. One of the many downsides of adulting.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Ah, good. That's a relief, and you're absolutely right. It's been a hobby of mine to research compelling and intriguing posts; it gets me motivated to delve into the stats, tape, etc. A lot of times I chime in on people's posts with they're small tidbits that equal to minor adjustments. Could be considered nitpicking at times, though I'm just interested in offering a second opinion. I feel you with regards to the schedules. You are preaching to the choir. I can personally admit to being well behind during draft coverage in the past two years, and I haven't been able to do the tape reviews to the same extent as in the past. Doesn't help that the new interface for NFL GamePass lacks a search button. One of the many downsides of adulting.
What do you use for looking at draft prospects? Or what would you recommend using if you had time? Draft breakdown? I want to start watching some of these guys so I can start having intelligent conversations here.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
What do you use for looking at draft prospects? Or what would you recommend using if you had time? Draft breakdown? I want to start watching some of these guys so I can start having intelligent conversations here.
I use draft breakdown. It generally gives you enough to form a basic opinion, and if you can't find tape on a player you can always find tape on another player and watch the matchup, like tj watt had almost nothing so I was watching OL film that he played against.

Something I always like to do is watch a few highlights before I watch film, I wanna see a player at his best before I see all the inbetweens, it helps you get an idea of the players niche and helps you find strengths even in plays they don't have an impact.