• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
sorry what? what did i miss? since when has eluemunor killed a mountain lion?

In his get to know me video before the draft he spoke of the unparalleled ''joy and thrill'' of killing dear and mountain lion.

hope someone does the same to him and frame him on a wall. Two shields...one with his face on it..the other with his big ass.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
In his get to know me video before the draft he spoke of the unparalleled ''joy and thrill'' of killing dear and mountain lion.

hope someone does the same to him and frame him on a wall. Two shields...one with his face on it..the other with his big ass.
To each his own

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
He was a stonewall in pass pro but average to below average in run blocking
True but Roman's scheme should help with that. I believe Lewis is a fine puller and that's a staple of Roman's running game. Roman will play him to his strength, that's one thing I'm certain.

jboy19

Pro Bowler

If it makes you feel better, freshly signed WR Griff Whalen is a vegan.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
True but Roman's scheme should help with that. I believe Lewis is a fine puller and that's a staple of Roman's running game. Roman will play him to his strength, that's one thing I'm certain.
Alex Lewis has one unfixable issue as a guard, leverage, he's tall for a guard, and a fixable issue is his footwork. Pulling takes a lot of finesse and agility on the playside steps, which is something he could stand to work on. So if his foot speed improves then I'm sure he could be a solid pull guard, but let's just say I wouldn't have wanted to see him pull constantly last season.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Alex Lewis has one unfixable issue as a guard, leverage, he's tall for a guard, and a fixable issue is his footwork. Pulling takes a lot of finesse and agility on the playside steps, which is something he could stand to work on. So if his foot speed improves then I'm sure he could be a solid pull guard, but let's just say I wouldn't have wanted to see him pull constantly last season.
I can considerate size an issue for a OG, but with all the college Tackles transitionning, Guards are taller and taller so you have to wonder if the issue of the leverage isn't overrated at times. KO, Scherff, even Martin is 6'4, so it's not like they're going to win a lot of low man battles, but I think you can win leverage if you have the correct positioning and some arm length to push back your guy before he starts touching you, elevating him in the process.

The Raven

Veteran
Alex Lewis is a 6'6 monster from the midwest and Harbaugh has him at guard. Still don't know why. He's the prototype RT in just about every way. He's tall and quick, but not exactly mobile or agile. Someone said he can pull and I think he can trap block with the best of em but pulling as a lead blocker is not Lewis's strong suit. He's not agile enough for that.

I can considerate size an issue for a OG, but with all the college Tackles transitionning, Guards are taller and taller so you have to wonder if the issue of the leverage isn't overrated at times. KO, Scherff, even Martin is 6'4, so it's not like they're going to win a lot of low man battles, but I think you can win leverage if you have the correct positioning and some arm length to push back your guy before he starts touching you, elevating him in the process.

The long arms do help make contact but they don't really do much for leverage. To get leverage you have to be under someone. Low man wins. It doesn't do you much good to be at full extension but not have leverage. Arms don't drive people. Legs do.

As far as KO being a 6'5 guard: His pad level was shit until year three. It took him a long time to get the flexibility to play with leverage as a giant.

Now, in a gap scheme, with Lewis not having to worry so much about footwork, leverage is less of a concern because he can focus more on being the low man and not about sealing his guy. I feel confident saying it's easier to win the leverage battle in gap than in zone. That could help Alex this year. But I still think his best position is RT.

On the other hand, Lewis could probably be the best pass blocking LG in the NFL this year. Not even exaggerating. Maybe that's why Harbaugh has him there.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
For better or worse, I don't expect to see Lewis at RT. It wouldn't make sense to have him take every first team LG snap during the offseason while a new scheme is being implemented and then switch him to RT at the last minute, especially when the coaching staff has been so vocal about not doing that.

The OT position is probably the most worrisome position on the team right now. Stanley is probably one of the best LTs in football right now and Hurst may be serviceable at RT. After that? we have Wesley and Nembot (and frankly we don't know shit about either. Neither is even a lock for a roster spot). There's a blaring weakness at the position and the FO/Coaching Staff is obviously aware of that- regardless of the amount of faith they have in Hurst.

I have no idea why they wouldn't have at least given Lewis some snaps at tackle if they viewed that as even an emergency option, so I don't really get what the plan is. I get that his play at tackle last year was not much better than Hurst's, if it was even better at all, but it's still a headscratcher for me. Hurst is in a contract year and might not be back after the season- either he'll suck and likely have run out of chances, or he'll be decent and demand a larger contract than he deserves (which he'd likely get elsewhere in today's NFL). If the plan is to have Lewis be the RT in the future, I don't get why the team would not give him a shot now.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
6'4" is acceptable, 6'6" is right in that territory of leverage becoming a problem. Also, Martin at 6'4"(a solid height for guard) played with great pad level and low hips, he dropped his core down low and drove off the ball low to the ground, scherff seemed more of a OT than Martin and I believe martins pad level was typically lower than his, and KO when he left here had great pad level as well.

Lewis is a little stiffer and doesn't get nearly as low as those guys.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Still patiently waiting for us to sign a RT, or a Center, or fucking anyone at this position. Seriously, anyone but Hurst.

SMH

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Still patiently waiting for us to sign a RT, or a Center, or fucking anyone at this position. Seriously, anyone but Hurst.

SMH
I am legitimately concerned about the center position. I just don't see much in the way of free agent options or possible cuts coming down the pike.

I would like Siragusa, (in the abstract)to get a look as both Jensen and Urschel seem only serviceable to me.

Heres a great discussion I came across, who was better Walter Jones or Jonathan Ogden? Obviously the homer in me takes Ogden every time with his unmatched size and ability but some of Walter Jones stats are incredible, he gave up 23 sacks in 5500 pass attempts over 13 years. Thats a rate of .0042%

The Raven

Veteran
Heres a great discussion I came across, who was better Walter Jones or Jonathan Ogden? Obviously the homer in me takes Ogden every time with his unmatched size and ability but some of Walter Jones stats are incredible, he gave up 23 sacks in 5500 pass attempts over 13 years. Thats a rate of .0042%
I'd need to know Ogden's rate to compare the two

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I'd need to know Ogden's rate to compare the two
I will say- Steve Huthinson and Walter Jones were a major reason for Shaun Alexander looking so good. His stats when running to the left and right were so drastic.

I also think that's what aids the sack stats- they were running so effectively and had that added protection to their name where teams had to account for run and pass equally.

But he's an absurd talent.