• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

The Raven

Veteran
I think Stanley is absolutely on his way up, especially if he continues playing as he did down the stretch. I thought he had a stellar finish to his rookie campaign. On a slight general note, I don't know that Whitworth has been on the decline. He could very well be due for one given his age, but he's been a wall in recent years. Even last year, no other tackle allowed less disruptions per snap, and of the 61 OTs, he allowed a league-low 14, despite being 27th in pass blocking snaps with 562. Just wanted to show the big guy some love.
Oh I have always been a huge fan of Whitworth, but last year he seemed to take a step back. He's always been a freak.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Stanley has all pro potential and IDC what you say. He was super impressive his rookie year, not decent. That's a disservice. Especially how he finished down the stretch. Him, Yanda, and Jensen form a solid trio. Just super skeptical(and pissed off) with the other two spots right now

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Stanley a top 10 LT? After one decent season? Cmon

While I do believe Stanley is one of the top 5 most talented tackles. I do agree He has to play all year and establish it b4 being labeled a top 10 player over proven players. Especially after missing games as a rookie. So far his obstacle is playing every week.

He is probably adjusting to the muscle he added to his frame since his last college game. When I read about his busy college schedule and how he couldn't fit the weight room into his schedule like he wanted. And saw his tape dominating with technique, length athleticism and positioning. I decided once he can commit to filling out that long frame he would be better than Tunsil. Especially if he learned to be more aggressive as well from players like Yanda and Jensen. And Stanley put on that muscle pretty fast after he graduated. When he visited ravens facility the first thing he wanted to see is the weight room. He was so excited about being able to commit like he wanted. And went from a soft 310 lbs to a leaner 320 lbs. And he really dominated down the stretch with that power he put on to go with his elite athleticism length and technique he always displayed. He looks as big and strong as Cam Robinson now. Whom uses power and size to compensate for technique issues.

He was the player I liked us to draft over every player on the board all along. Well actually i liked Tunsil and Bosa best. But b4 spring my opinion was Stanley would be better than Tunsil. And preferring a great offense over great defense. And believing a dominant OLine should be No.1 priority on a team. I preferred Stanley over Bosa. So as much as I always liked Stanley. He needs to show it this year b4 being labeled a top player.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
If you were to name tackles better than Stanley, these are good picks, but even here there are some that I think Stanley is better than. Whitworth and Staley are on the decline, and Terron Armstead isn't that much better than Stanley thus far. Ronnie Stanley is in good company.
Armstead not much better? Man we cant let our fandom get besides us like that

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
LMAO. Bahktiari is a good LT but like Orr before him he is honestly not as good as Stanley. He's a better pass blocker(not by much. That's Ronnie's bread and butter and he's only going to get better) but isn't nearly as good of a run blocker as Stanley.

And yes, the disparity between Armstead and Stanley is honestly not much. Stanley is not only on the rise, but was extremely impressive last season. We're talking about a guy who could finish the season as a top 5 LT. I'd be surprised if he didn't tbh.

Stanley was the highest overall rated tackle in the NFL per PFF over the last five games of 2016. That's a hell of a feat.

Sorry buddy. I really don't think it's a debatable.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
LMAO. Bahktiari is a good LT but like Orr before him he is honestly not as good as Stanley. He's a better pass blocker(not by much. That's Ronnie's bread and butter and he's only going to get better) but isn't nearly as good of a run blocker as Stanley.

And yes, the disparity between Armstead and Stanley is honestly not much. Stanley is not only on the rise, but was extremely impressive last season. We're talking about a guy who could finish the season as a top 5 LT. I'd be surprised if he didn't tbh.

Stanley was the highest overall rated tackle in the NFL per PFF over the last five games of 2016. That's a hell of a feat.

2nd best left tackle to non other than Andrew Whitworth per signature stats over last 4 or 5 weeks.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

H not as good as stanley? Lol so stanley is better than penn,peters, and cordy glenn too huh.. cmon man there are a lot of LTs that i would choose over stanley right now. Now if we talking to start a franchise probably not

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
H not as good as stanley? Lol so stanley is better than penn,peters, and cordy glenn too huh.. cmon man there are a lot of LTs that i would choose over stanley right now. Now if we talking to start a franchise probably not
He's not making it up. He was rated hire then all of them the final 5 weeks. Outside of that rough game the week he game back from injury he was top notch and kept improving.

Now let's see what happens after a full season this year, because 5 to 8 weeks is not a season.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
He's not making it up. He was rated hire then all of them the final 5 weeks. Outside of that rough game the week he game back from injury he was top notch and kept improving.

Now let's see what happens after a full season this year, because 5 to 8 weeks is not a season.
Im talking about this past season performance. If he is better than guys next season it wont matter cause its not the case. Right now, if we were a GM and had game tomorrow there is no way that anyone of else selecting stanley to play left tackle over those guys that are mentioned above

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

You do realize that stanley run blocking isnt that great as his pass blocking right? And david is probably the best pass blocking LT in lg along with trent so how can you say " not by much".. its better if you actually watch football and not go 100% off these pff rankings.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
You do realize that stanley run blocking isnt that great as his pass blocking right? And david is probably the best pass blocking LT in lg along with trent so how can you say " not by much".. its better if you actually watch football and not go 100% off these pff rankings.
If you actually watched football you'd realize that stanley is actually a rock solid run blocker and is criminally underrated in that regard, and I know David is that good of a pass blocker(and I watch plenty of the packers). But Stanley honeslty isn't that far behind. Yes, I'd take Stanley over David. Easily. Penn? As of now I'll give you that(though if his game took a nosedive I wouldn't be surprised. He is getting old). But finishing as THE TOP TACKLE in all of football in the final five games showcases the fact that he's a top 10 LT in this league. Only bad game he had was his first game back. And yes, I'd take him over Glenn, a player I really like as well.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator

Truth be told, I wasn't sure what to make of Bakhtiari, but I'll give credit where it's due. He finished the year as a Top 5 LT if we're taking grades into account and gave up the 2nd least pressure per snap. I thought his 2nd-team All-Pro nod was more worthy in comparison.

Does anyone think Carl Davis and Ricard could make better interior offensive linemen? Davis wears down too fast to be anything more than a rotation guy and Ricard has some experience run blocking, the point is that these two are likely cut candidates and outside the roster bubble so they won't be contributing on the dline, but they both have physical traits that Hurst, Skura or Zuttah don't have.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Does anyone think Carl Davis and Ricard could make better interior offensive linemen? Davis wears down too fast to be anything more than a rotation guy and Ricard has some experience run blocking, the point is that these two are likely cut candidates and outside the roster bubble so they won't be contributing on the dline, but they both have physical traits that Hurst, Skura or Zuttah don't have.

it's something that should be tried more often IMO