• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
At this point I've totally lost paitence with Ozzie. I loved the rest of the offseason sans this to be honest. It was blatantly obvious that the oline was the biggest need on the team and Ozzie did nothing. That speaks mountains to me(And don't give me the "weak FA class" bullshit. We needed a guard and there were several servicable options avaliable, some in which were affordable. Warford, Tretter could play G, Leary, hell I'd be okay with paying top dollar for Lang or Zeitler). IT WAS OUR BIGGEST NEED BY FAR, AND IT WILL CONTINUE TO HURT US, AND WE STILL DID NEXT TO NOTHING.

I don't give a damn about the scheme change. It'll benefit Jensen sure, but LG is still a clusterfuck and Howard isn't in football shape yet which will make him a liability the first few weeks. And we can't afford that shit. We are facing 3 teams with good front 7s the first three weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost all three games, as Carlos Dunlap and Atkins are likely to shit on whoever we throw out there as Flacco is massacred because our run game sucks(yet again) and we have to heavily depend on the passing game. Sure, the Bengals Oline is worse, but they have firepower that might keep them competitive against us. The Browns will probably find a way to lose against us but will still give the offense a hard time, and the Jags front 7 is nothing to scoff at either.

I wouldn't be surprised if the oline is such a hinderence ala 2013 that it costs us several games.

I know that next year's free agency class and draft class for oline is much better. But still; ignoring it was fucking foolish and there is no denying it. Stop drafting your only dlinemen for once, and focus on the damn offensive line. You should be drafting one of each in at least every draft(if you ask me. Football is, and will continue to be won in the trenches for as long as it's played. Getting BOTH in every draft would be ideal. Too many drafts where we take flier on a late round olinmen which more often than not fails. Both should be mid rounders at the latest).

I swear to god. If we don't resign Jensen next offseason, pick up a LG, and draft at least THREE olinemen in the draft next year(one of them better be early too). I will lose my fucking mind even moreso than I already have. It might literally be our only need going into next year(if Flacco can SOMEHOW stay healthy) and there is a likelihood that Ozzie ignores this yet again to draft yet another defensive player in the first round, because our defense is clearly a weak point.

Einstein's definition of insanity is repeating the same shit over and over again and expecting different results. 3 of the last 4 years the line has been a hinderence to the team. And we've done next to nothing. That needs to change.

Fuck off Ozzie. If Flacco goes down, you deserve to be fired

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
At this point I've totally lost paitence with Ozzie. I loved the rest of the offseason sans this to be honest. It was blatantly obvious that the oline was the biggest need on the team and Ozzie did nothing. That speaks mountains to me(And don't give me the "weak FA class" bullshit. We needed a guard and there were several servicable options avaliable, some in which were affordable. Warford, Tretter could play G, Leary, hell I'd be okay with paying top dollar for Lang or Zeitler). IT WAS OUR BIGGEST NEED BY FAR, AND IT WILL CONTINUE TO HURT US, AND WE STILL DID NEXT TO NOTHING.

I don't give a damn about the scheme change. It'll benefit Jensen sure, but LG is still a clusterfuck and Howard isn't in football shape yet which will make him a liability the first few weeks. And we can't afford that shit. We are facing 3 teams with good front 7s the first three weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost all three games, as Carlos Dunlap and Atkins are likely to shit on whoever we throw out there as Flacco is massacred because our run game sucks(yet again) and we have to heavily depend on the passing game. Sure, the Bengals Oline is worse, but they have firepower that might keep them competitive against us. The Browns will probably find a way to lose against us but will still give the offense a hard time, and the Jags front 7 is nothing to scoff at either.

I wouldn't be surprised if the oline is such a hinderence ala 2013 that it costs us several games.

I know that next year's free agency class and draft class for oline is much better. But still; ignoring it was fucking foolish and there is no denying it. Stop drafting your only dlinemen for once, and focus on the damn offensive line. You should be drafting one of each in at least every draft(if you ask me. Football is, and will continue to be won in the trenches for as long as it's played. Getting BOTH in every draft would be ideal. Too many drafts where we take flier on a late round olinmen which more often than not fails. Both should be mid rounders at the latest).

I swear to god. If we don't resign Jensen next offseason, pick up a LG, and draft at least THREE olinemen in the draft next year(one of them better be early too). I will lose my fucking mind even moreso than I already have. It might literally be our only need going into next year(if Flacco can SOMEHOW stay healthy) and there is a likelihood that Ozzie ignores this yet again to draft yet another defensive player in the first round, because our defense is clearly a weak point.

Einstein's definition of insanity is repeating the same shit over and over again and expecting different results. 3 of the last 4 years the line has been a hinderence to the team. And we've done next to nothing. That needs to change.

Make no mistake, the sheer neglegence of the O line is proof ozzie has lost touch with reality.

We need a LG. I don't give a fuck if it means giving up a 3rd round pick. I gaurentee flacco will hit the deck 5 times at least in the season opener if he doesnt.

I dont necessarily give Ozzie 100% of the blame considering that we lost Siragusa, Urschel and Lewis in one freak offseason, as at least two of them would be upgrades on our current starting line.

I do however blame him for not bringing in a proven interior lineman like Zeitler or Brooks to replace KO, the dropoff has been massive.

Serrell Tuggs

Practice Squad

Calm down. It looks like we've had two great drafts in a row, fixed the secondary, have unlimited D-line depth and found an undrafted starter in Hill and maybe two more who'll make the roster. Maybe we didn't draft an O-lineman early but we did last year. If we had you might be furious about our pass rush or secondary or whatever, instead.

I understand it's frustrating because the team looks like it could be so close without the glaring O-line problem but maybe it isn't such a problem. We saw the line fail to open any running lanes against starters in preseason, but that was mostly without Stanley and Yanda.

It looks like we need a LG but is it Ozzie's fault that Lewis, Siragusa and Urschel are out? Urschel's retirement also hurt our chances of finding a quality guard. We had to spend money on Zuttah because Skura couldn't have looked ready at centre and we needed someone to back up Jensen. So now we're probably left to pick up the best guard who gets cut. It's not ideal but not many teams could cope with three injuries at the same position?

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
If the offer is good enough Dallas could trade Byron Bell. He is big very strong and a pretty good athlete. He held up at LT. But is more ideal to play RT and guard. I think RT is a bigger problem than LG. But Bell can play RT and LG. He is better in technique than when he was inexperienced played LT for the panthers. I think he would be a better than average RT and guard. He is ideal for the plan of a bigger more powerful OLine.

If the OLine is that big of a problem. Ravens won't have any options but to part with a draft pick and trade for somebody that can play RT and LG at a high level. You can't excuse Ozzie with the injury excuse. To be honest I didn't care much for Siragusa. And i do like Lewis but he is yet unproven anyways. And if he played guard RT was gonna be a problem anyways. You can't let somebody the caliber of Osemele and Wagner walk while saying you OLine is gonna be a strength. Especially not investing higher draft picks to replace players that are a strength of the team.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Don't know that I see us trading for Byron Bell. He didn't play a snap last season and put forth below average performances in the previous two.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
As much complaining as there has been about the OL, things don't look terrible going forward. Yanda is the best guard in the NFL. Stanley is probably a top 10 LT at this point. Jensen and Hurst seem to have made some pretty big strides in their play. Howard definitely had a rough start, but looked like he was more comfortable last week. If Lewis and Siragusa had remained healthy, we'd probably be one of the stronger, deeper OLs in the league right now. Zuttah and Skura are solid enough depth players to get through the season.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
As much complaining as there has been about the OL, things don't look terrible going forward. Yanda is the best guard in the NFL. Stanley is probably a top 10 LT at this point. Jensen and Hurst seem to have made some pretty big strides in their play. Howard definitely had a rough start, but looked like he was more comfortable last week. If Lewis and Siragusa had remained healthy, we'd probably be one of the stronger, deeper OLs in the league right now. Zuttah and Skura are solid enough depth players to get through the season.
I definitely think this OL isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Problem is one injury and the team is screwed. Stanley and Yanda NEED to stay healthy. Plus it is scary thinking Yanda's regression will likely occur in the next 3 years could be this year could be in 2 years.

The Greek

Veteran
after the last preseason game is played tonight there will be loads of players cut these next 2 days. we will find some guys for the o-line. the sky hasnt fallen yet and not one regular season game has yet to be played.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I definitely think this OL isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Problem is one injury and the team is screwed. Stanley and Yanda NEED to stay healthy. Plus it is scary thinking Yanda's regression will likely occur in the next 3 years could be this year could be in 2 years.

Agreed on the injury front. Especially since the depth at every position but center is extremely suspect. But this clearly isn't only a Baltimore problem- we've seen two bad linemen (Cam Erving, Laken Tomlinson) moved for 5th Round Picks in the past 2 days. As everyone has accurately stated, losing Lewis, Siragusa and Urschel unexpectedly this summer really can't be overstated as a huge loss for OL depth.

The future, to me, doesn't look terrible post-Yanda. Siragusa is a compelling guy to see develop, and I think he'll be able to contribute once he gets back from rehab. I wouldn't expect Yanda to have some incredible drop off coming soon though, he's a guy who has always overcome his physical deficiencies with technique and preparation, and those guys tend to last longer than the straight-up meatheads and athletic freaks. It's never been harder than ever to find decent OL in free agency and the draft, but Siragusa, and to some extent Eluemunor, have been solid value draft picks focused on the future.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Stanley a top 10 LT? After one decent season? Cmon

O

OriolesMagicPlease

I am fearing for Joe's back and the rest of his body too. Sigh.

The Raven

Veteran
All seriousness
Joe Thomas
Whitworth
Smith
Peters
Staley
Lewnan
Armstead
Williams
If you were to name tackles better than Stanley, these are good picks, but even here there are some that I think Stanley is better than. Whitworth and Staley are on the decline, and Terron Armstead isn't that much better than Stanley thus far. Ronnie Stanley is in good company.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
If you were to name tackles better than Stanley, these are good picks, but even here there are some that I think Stanley is better than. Whitworth and Staley are on the decline, and Terron Armstead isn't that much better than Stanley thus far. Ronnie Stanley is in good company.
I think Stanley is absolutely on his way up, especially if he continues playing as he did down the stretch. I thought he had a stellar finish to his rookie campaign. On a slight general note, I don't know that Whitworth has been on the decline. He could very well be due for one given his age, but he's been a wall in recent years. Even last year, no other tackle allowed less disruptions per snap, and of the 61 OTs, he allowed a league-low 14, despite being 27th in pass blocking snaps with 562. Just wanted to show the big guy some love.