• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
which makes marty's justification for starting hurst absolutely absurd and all the more infuriating

i thought we were gonna see Stanley-Lewis-Skura-Yanda-Brown and then a lot of Hurst as the 6th lineman in stead of a tight end because hayden hurst is out
That lineup would at least be somewhat smart. This lineup is going to ruin the season before it even begins. He's going against the likes of Jerry Hughes, Dunlap, Lawson, VON MILLER, and TJ Watt in the first four weeks. Von Miller can singlehandedly win that game for Denver ESPECIALLY with Hurst starting.

1-3 is now a realistic possibility when we have a superior overall roster than 3/4 teams that we play in the first four weeks. All because of one insanely idiotic coaching decision. Words cannot describe how pissed off I am over this.

I'm not mad at Ozzie. He did his job by drafting Brown in the first place.

And Harbaugh has been known to be ridiculously stubborn when it comes to these things. Expect him not to change this at all

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Skura @ C and Hurst @ RT. We're fucked. It would've been easy Stanley Hurst Lewis Yanda Brown. Now we also have to keep 3 Qbs active on gameday.

What? Brown will be the starter I guarantee it.
I really do like Brown but he's still a rookie. There's no telling how he will fare in a full time start against real competition, say what you want but sometimes throwing a guy into a fire isn't the best thing for him. I also think the investment the team made on Hurst makes it difficult to not have him on the line.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really do like Brown but he's still a rookie. There's no telling how he will fare in a full time start against real competition, say what you want but sometimes throwing a guy into a fire isn't the best thing for him. I also think the investment the team made on Hurst makes it difficult to not have him on the line.

we're not paying him starter money though - we're paying james hurst to be a 6th OL

I'm pretty sure they did some shuffling with the line all over TC and the pre-season. We saw Skura split time at G and even seen Bozeman at C. I really do think this might be the best performing line out of the bunch. With Yanda, Stanley and Lewis, I think the pass blocking will be solid but I think we're going to rely on various aspects schematically to run the Football.

I agree with Grim, I really wish we had another year of Jensen.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I know I'm not the only one to say this, but I'm not happy with Hurst starting at RT.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Hurst is admittantly one of our five best guys(which is pathetic in it of itself but whatever), but at GUARD where he's not a turnstile. Our five best olinemen are Stanley, Yanda, Lewis, Hurst, Brown. We played Lewis at C this preseason and Brown was good(with a couple of hiccups sure, he's a rookie though) at RT. Hurst, even in limited action at RT has always ALWAYS been a turnstile. I'd rather take a few up and down performances from a rookie than Hurst, who we know is a liability.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hate that I'm already having to speak on Lamars weaknesses. The ravens fan base is such a fucking cesspool. Simply point out that flacco looks better throwing the ball in the small snippets of OTAs stirs up a ravenous band of jackals to tell you how fast Lamar Jackson is and how flaccos time is done.

No... it's his team still. And before you sharpen your swords and spread your cheeks for Lamar Jackson, just know that I'm a fan and supporting him, but this isn't axis vs allies here, you don't have to take one side and burn the other...

Why are ravens fans like this?

That lineup would at least be somewhat smart. This lineup is going to ruin the season before it even begins. He's going against the likes of Jerry Hughes, Dunlap, Lawson, VON MILLER, and TJ Watt in the first four weeks. Von Miller can singlehandedly win that game for Denver ESPECIALLY with Hurst starting.

1-3 is now a realistic possibility when we have a superior overall roster than 3/4 teams that we play in the first four weeks. All because of one insanely idiotic coaching decision. Words cannot describe how pissed off I am over this.

I'm not mad at Ozzie. He did his job by drafting Brown in the first place.

And Harbaugh has been known to be ridiculously stubborn when it comes to these things. Expect him not to change this at all

This is the problem with the FO. They have little to 0 interest in really seeing and creating what an O line entails. I've said this before and i'll say it again, if your C is awful, you're not going to be a playoff team. If your RT is James Hurst, you have 1 game to get away with it.

Trade for ali marpet midway through the season with intent to extend

Stanley,Lewis,Marpet, Yanda, Brown JR

now tell me how much better this looks?

Reactions: cdp
Hurst is admittantly one of our five best guys(which is pathetic in it of itself but whatever), but at GUARD where he's not a turnstile. Our five best olinemen are Stanley, Yanda, Lewis, Hurst, Brown. We played Lewis at C this preseason and Brown was good(with a couple of hiccups sure, he's a rookie though) at RT. Hurst, even in limited action at RT has always ALWAYS been a turnstile. I'd rather take a few up and down performances from a rookie than Hurst, who we know is a liability.

Please stop talking like we're going to play Hurst at RT because the plausibility is freaking me out.

Not really a true 4th rounder though - he was a first rounder plain and simple who fell because of injury that’s it - an injury that has not followed him to the pros so far

So far. He has one season under his belt, he hasnt proven that hes suddenly a durable player let alone going to be the next Suggs.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
If the Ravens don't make the playoffs then we need a new coaching staff. Maybe we could get Teryl Austin to come back to the franchise, or possibly role the dice on Dan Campbell who learned under Parcells and Sean Payton.