• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

Tank

Hall of Famer
who are you referring to?
You mentioned Daniels. Could have been creative with 1st and 2nd round picks, moved around, taken Price or Ragnow and still maybe somehow snagged Hurst. Point is they didn’t make it a priority. I hope I’m wrong but I’m afraid it may come back to bite us in the ass.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You mentioned Daniels. Could have been creative with 1st and 2nd round picks, moved around, taken Price or Ragnow and still maybe somehow snagged Hurst. Point is they didn’t make it a priority. I hope I’m wrong but I’m afraid it may come back to bite us in the ass.

if im honest i would have preferred will hernandez anyway even if he wasnt a center i think hes an insanely dominant prospect on the interior

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
if im honest i would have preferred will hernandez anyway even if he wasnt a center i think hes an insanely dominant prospect on the interior
You could've slotted Lewis at C and had a solid one with two dominant Gs. If we had found a way to draft Brown too, that's a dominant overall offensive line.

This is a dumbass decision by Harbaugh that could cost us games. It's fucking infuriating since a line of Stanley-Hurst-Lewis-Yanda-Brown Jr is a pretty solid one all things considered but that first line would be dominant.

Literally. Brown is a better run blocker by about a mile. That first oline I mentioned would have a dominant right side of the line run blocking wise with a solid left side.

Roman and Joe D have a lot of work to do thanks to the stupidity of Harbaugh.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You could've slotted Lewis at C and had a solid one with two dominant Gs. If we had found a way to draft Brown too, that's a dominant overall offensive line.

This is a dumbass decision by Harbaugh that could cost us games. It's fucking infuriating since a line of Stanley-Hurst-Lewis-Yanda-Brown Jr is a pretty solid one all things considered but that first line would be dominant.

Literally. Brown is a better run blocker by about a mile. That first oline I mentioned would have a dominant right side of the line run blocking wise with a solid left side.

Roman and Joe D have a lot of work to do thanks to the stupidity of Harbaugh.

im glad we got lamar at 32 but there was a huge part of me immediately at the time that kind of wished we'd traded up to 32 to take a guard lol (not for the position but for the player lol)

Tank

Hall of Famer
Having lived with the huge hole left after Birk’s retirement and then losing the only competent center we had since then I was sure they would address the need early in the draft.

While I think Hayden will be a good one for us, taking Ragnow or Price and Hernandez(which was totally possible)would have been huge and paid dividends for years to come. Hopefully things somehow pan out and make it all a moot point.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m actually more worried about Skura at C than Hurst at RT. Hurst hasn’t been a great player or even good but he’s okay. I actually thought he looked decent at RT in last year’s preseason; however, IIRC he didn’t play there long before getting moved due to an injury, I believe? Anyway, Skura is my real concern because we’ve seen what a bad C can do. I know people say Lewis but I don’t remember ever seeing him at C in a preseason game? Just training camp? Correct me if I’m wrong, but that would tell me maybe he wasn’t doing well there. Just my thoughts

This offense should still as a whole in theory be better. The receiving corps for this team is much better and at the very least we have 3 solid offensive linemen on this line. The problem lies within Skura being a potential Gino Gradkowski clone and well... We know how terrible Hurst has been at T. A league worst player. Seriously, Marty/Harbaugh's reasoning is stupid. Hurst does have more experience... of him being terrible and ruining multiple seasons of Flacco.

Stanley is very good with the potential to be great. Yanda is Yanda and should be Yanda still. Lewis looks like he's taken the next step and could be a rock solid G. So that's three good starters. The problem lies within Skura and Hurst being liabilities that we can likely neither scheme around.... When we have an option that looks really good in Brown at RT, and Lewis looking decent at C.. And knowing that Hurst is a passable G. What's frustrating is, we do have a lineup we could send out there that is a GOOD offensive line.. And we're not doing it for the dumbest possible reasons.
I like Brown but saw an interesting piece on reddit in an Interview that Brown gave in 105.7 the fan where even he himself admitted he was not ready yet as he has a lot left to learn as far as the playbook and language is concerned. This would obviously explain Marty refering Hurst's experience as a reason for his start. I feel once Brown has the playbook and chemistry down, that he will assume the starting role. I don't see Hurst as a long-term option at RT what so ever but for now you have to consider the fact that he has the entagibles down. Lewis is a much better fit at G then C because he doesn't have the leverage to handle consistant penetration or the bullrush. I think the Ravens shuffled the OL a lot and Yanda even said himself that he hasn't much time with the current OL, I'm pretty sure they experimented with Lewis at C and Brown at RT with Hurst at LG but it probably didn't look good.

I think there was something similar said in 2013...
2013 had a lot of different issues though. We didn't aquire Monroe until mid-season and K.O suffered a season ending injury. If we had a line of Monroe-K.O-Gradowski/Shiply(Yeah they both suck)-Yanda-Oher, then I don't think the line would've been nearly as bad. Obviously the OL we had to begin with was horrible but I think we overestimated Mckinney and Oher after their spectacular playoff performances.

We literally had an OL with only two players worth starting and one of them ending up missing the entire season.

I’m actually more worried about Skura at C than Hurst at RT. Hurst hasn’t been a great player or even good but he’s okay. I actually thought he looked decent at RT in last year’s preseason; however, IIRC he didn’t play there long before getting moved due to an injury, I believe? Anyway, Skura is my real concern because we’ve seen what a bad C can do. I know people say Lewis but I don’t remember ever seeing him at C in a preseason game? Just training camp? Correct me if I’m wrong, but that would tell me maybe he wasn’t doing well there. Just my thoughts
Same here, I'm more worried about Skura. I don't think Hurst is a long-term option at RT and once Brown gets the scheme and language down, that he will be our starting RT and a solid one at that. Skura worries me because a bad C as you said is probably the worst thing you can deal with in an OL. I don't see a replacement solution to Skura because everyone behind him is just as bad if not worse.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Having lived with the huge hole left after Birk’s retirement and then losing the only competent center we had since then I was sure they would address the need early in the draft.

While I think Hayden will be a good one for us, taking Ragnow or Price and Hernandez(which was totally possible)would have been huge and paid dividends for years to come. Hopefully things somehow pan out and make it all a moot point.

we would have had to take ragnow or price at pick 16 because they were both gone by 22...

which means we would have swapped price/ragnow for hurst+andrews+Lasley+senat+Bozeman+some of Jackson

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Lewis had a few drives at C where he looked decent but he looks like a rock solid LG and much better there. He's taken the next step and is what I would refer to as a quality starter.

I like Brown but saw an interesting piece on reddit in an Interview that Brown gave in 105.7 the fan where even he himself admitted he was not ready yet as he has a lot left to learn as far as the playbook and language is concerned. This would obviously explain Marty refering Hurst's experience as a reason for his start. I feel once Brown has the playbook and chemistry down, that he will assume the starting role. I don't see Hurst as a long-term option at RT what so ever but for now you have to consider the fact that he has the entagibles down. Lewis is a much better fit at G then C because he doesn't have the leverage to handle consistant penetration or the bullrush. I think the Ravens shuffled the OL a lot and Yanda even said himself that he hasn't much time with the current OL, I'm pretty sure they experimented with Lewis at C and Brown at RT with Hurst at LG but it probably didn't look good.

2013 had a lot of different issues though. We didn't aquire Monroe until mid-season and K.O suffered a season ending injury. If we had a line of Monroe-K.O-Gradowski/Shiply(Yeah they both suck)-Yanda-Oher, then I don't think the line would've been nearly as bad. Obviously the OL we had to begin with was horrible but I think we overestimated Mckinney and Oher after their spectacular playoff performances.

We literally had an OL with only two players worth starting and one of them ending up missing the entire season.
Even then he can't be worse than Hurst is as a tackle. As a guard Hurst is a passable guy because he's a decent pass blocker but an atrocious run blocker. But at LG you can get away with that. Yanda is going to open up the run game a decent amount so I'm not the most worried about Hurst(Skura is a Gino Gradkowski level of bad just waiting to happen).

I would honestly trot out the line of Stanley-Hurst-Lewis-Yanda-Brown the moment he's ready. Which I think he is now compared to Hurst but still. Whatever the coaches think.

I swear to god we better go all offensive line next draft

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Same here, I'm more worried about Skura. I don't think Hurst is a long-term option at RT and once Brown gets the scheme and language down, that he will be our starting RT and a solid one at that. Skura worries me because a bad C as you said is probably the worst thing you can deal with in an OL. I don't see a replacement solution to Skura because everyone behind him is just as bad if not worse.

the issue with having a C with not a good enough anchor is that it can wreck your entire run game in a power system because if the C gets immediately pushed back he gets pushed into the pulling lane of any guards or TEs pulling past him which either means he blocks his own blockers or he forces them to go further to pull effectively

so much rests on him not getting destroyed immediately

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
the issue with having a C with not a good enough anchor is that it can wreck your entire run game in a power system because if the C gets immediately pushed back he gets pushed into the pulling lane of any guards or TEs pulling past him which either means he blocks his own blockers or he forces them to go further to pull effectively

so much rests on him not getting destroyed immediately
And Skura can't anchor for shit. Which is why I'm extremely worried.

If Hurst was at LG, I'd be upset but that's still 4 quality starters on an offensive line so it's a good unit.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
And Skura can't anchor for shit. Which is why I'm extremely worried.

If Hurst was at LG, I'd be upset but that's still 4 quality starters on an offensive line so it's a good unit.
I’m honestly dumbfounded that we are just seemingly content with Skura. It’s absurd.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I’m honestly dumbfounded that we are just seemingly content with Skura. It’s absurd.
He's Gino levels of bad and could singlehandedly make a good offensive line look bad.
Upon hearing the presser I kind of get why Hurst is starting there, but Skura? That's a joke. I'd rather sign Austin Howard again and keep Hurst at G and move Lewis to C

Tank

Hall of Famer
we would have had to take ragnow or price at pick 16 because they were both gone by 22...

which means we would have swapped price/ragnow for hurst+andrews+Lasley+senat+Bozeman+some of Jackson
lol.....could have meant a lot of things as all would have changed, but I get your point. The key piece was taking Jackson, and whether that was wrong or right they compromised their chances the next couple of years gambling on a project for the future.

Lewis had a few drives at C where he looked decent but he looks like a rock solid LG and much better there. He's taken the next step and is what I would refer to as a quality starter.

Even then he can't be worse than Hurst is as a tackle. As a guard Hurst is a passable guy because he's a decent pass blocker but an atrocious run blocker. But at LG you can get away with that. Yanda is going to open up the run game a decent amount so I'm not the most worried about Hurst(Skura is a Gino Gradkowski level of bad just waiting to happen).

I would honestly trot out the line of Stanley-Hurst-Lewis-Yanda-Brown the moment he's ready. Which I think he is now compared to Hurst but still. Whatever the coaches think.

He can be worse then Hurst if he doesn't know the entire playbook or language. How can you call the plays he doesn't know? What happens if you do? His communication, blocking assignment and overall aspect of how he approaches his blocks will be way off and you're going to have to make compensation in terms of your play book just to have him on the field. It's better for him to get a full understanding of the offense before putting him out there. Once he has the offense down then you can put him out there.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Hurst at RT after he was in noticeably better shape last preseason wasn't bad- PFF had him highly graded iirc. It's a small sample size, sure, but I don't think it's reasonable to think he's the same Hurst that he was in 2015.

Obviously I would prefer that Brown start. But I assume if the team is starting Hurst that Brown not knowing the entire playbook limits the offense more than Hurst's past struggles at tackle do.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He can be worse then Hurst if he doesn't know the entire playbook or language. How can you call the plays he doesn't know? What happens if you do? His communication, blocking assignment and overall aspect of how he approaches his blocks will be way off and you're going to have to make compensation in terms of your play book just to have him on the field. It's better for him to get a full understanding of the offense before putting him out there. Once he has the offense down then you can put him out there.
As much as I don't like Hurst, I agree with this 100%. Brown will be out there starting soon enough, lets make sure he knows the playbook first

Too many people are pointing fingers at Harbaugh saying this is Harbaugh being Harbaugh. I don't by that at all. Outside of Stanley, Alex Lewis started as a rookie on the oline.

Last edited:

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

Thanks, good to know. I couldn’t watch much of preseason this year. I was just too busy so I didn’t get to see Lewis at C. Yeah I trust Lewis at LG more than any other position.

He's Gino levels of bad and could singlehandedly make a good offensive line look bad.
Upon hearing the presser I kind of get why Hurst is starting there, but Skura? That's a joke. I'd rather sign Austin Howard again and keep Hurst at G and move Lewis to C
I’d rather not have Howard back here lol. I actually don’t think Hurst will be that bad but agree it’ll be Skura who is the problem. I’m not sure if Skura will be Gino-level because he had more problems than strength—he just couldn’t make the calls. The combination of being unable to make calls and being a bit weak led to his demise. I’m hopeful that Skura is at least more prepared to make the calls and that’ll be our saving grace with him because that’s a huge part of playing C.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
So, apparently Filmstudy is unwavering in this belief that Orlando Brown Jr WILL be the starter. He thinks all the coach speak is simply BS and thinks the depth chart is flat out wrong.