• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Running Game, The 4th Quarter and Everyone's Blood Pressure

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's been implied, at least.
By who? I'm pretty sure I'm the one who suggested it was an issue. And my suggestion wasn't to stop running them. My suggestion is I don't see how running more of them is a good thing, when the QB isn't highly accurate with those throws.

How about running routes like sideline curls, deep outs, or literally anything that isolates a receiver in man coverage on the perimeter? Slants only encourage the defense to do what they already do, which is flood the middle of the field and force Lamar to beat them outside the numbers (which historically he's not done well with).

Slants have value, but they're also better as a play action tool set (which is why they're hugely effective for us) or if the defense is giving the receivers significant cushion.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not sure anyone really is anymore lol
Idk i see a few of the regulars holding out making every excuse possible for GRo.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Idk i see a few of the regulars holding out making every excuse possible for GRo.
I mean lets just be fair. This team has probably the leagues worst WR and one great receiving TE. The kind of offense that you, I, and everyone wants to see is not even possible with what we got. So for me blame has to be analyzed in the following way.

Is it the case that EDC is doing EDC things and then when all is said and done, we find ourselves where we do and that's with a garbage WR corps, thus forcing GRo into 22 personnel?

Or is it that Roman is incapable of running the conventional offense and so given that the HC continues to employ this guy, EDC has given Greg what he has to try and maximize GRos success?

In one case I feel bad for Roman and think he's doing his best with that he's got. In the other he's gotta go.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I mean lets just be fair. This team has probably the leagues worst WR and one great receiving TE. The kind of offense that you, I, and everyone wants to see is not even possible with what we got. So for me blame has to be analyzed in the following way.

Is it the case that EDC is doing EDC things and then when all is said and done, we find ourselves where we do and that's with a garbage WR corps, thus forcing GRo into 22 personnel?

Or is it that Roman is incapable of running the conventional offense and so given that the HC continues to employ this guy, EDC has given Greg what he has to try and maximize GRos success?

In one case I feel bad for Roman and think he's doing his best with that he's got. In the other he's gotta go.
It's the 'other'. Even the Ravens FO said multiple times they are building the offense "to its strengths" during and after the 2019 season.

Stubbornly insisting on Roman has cost us the good receiver already. I'm afraid, Lamar is on the out, too unless that changes.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Emphasis on 'right now' and I think Lamar is the least of a problem here.
yea it's not Lamar closing its the team for sure.
imo it does feel the cycle is
big lead -> start blowing lead -> offense starts struggling -> defense finishes blowing lead -> (it splits 2 ways here!)

either 1. Lamar comes in and saves the day or 2. Lamar comes in and doesn't save the day

result: media blames Lamar, greg roman stays, we get blood pressure checks

so tough.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Outside of Allen and Mahomes, any other qb struggles with out wrs
not Lamars fault there, but also had to pay him those guy money and expect success

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
It's the 'other'. Even the Ravens FO said multiple times they are building the offense "to its strengths" during and after the 2019 season.

Stubbornly insisting on Roman has cost us the good receiver already. I'm afraid, Lamar is on the out, too unless that changes.
Man. Would be nuts if Lamar's entrie rookie contract was one big GRo experiment and we completely squandered it.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Your not wrong and the problem is multifaceted. It’s never just the coaches or players or front office etc.But the pessimism surrounding this offense and Roman doesn’t just stem from the last month. This mounting frustration can be traced back to 2020. GRos inability to expand this passing game has held back Lamar and this offense.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Your not wrong and the problem is multifaceted. It’s never just the coaches or players or front office etc.But the pessimism surrounding this offense and Roman doesn’t just stem from the last month. This mounting frustration can be traced back to 2020. GRos inability to expand this passing game has held back Lamar and this offense.
Yeah a quarterback should not be playing from 22 personnel 80% of his snaps. Like wtf

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Gro has called more good games than lamar has played this season.. dnt really care for gro but he can call the best game ever and lamar would stay make errors.. they both are inconsistent

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
yea it's not Lamar closing its the team for sure.
imo it does feel the cycle is
big lead -> start blowing lead -> offense starts struggling -> defense finishes blowing lead -> (it splits 2 ways here!)

either 1. Lamar comes in and saves the day or 2. Lamar comes in and doesn't save the day

result: media blames Lamar, greg roman stays, we get blood pressure checks

so tough.
It's sort of this way, yeah. I would say it's more like this...

1. Offense comes out explosive, scoring points
2. Defense holds its own but has cracks and breaks; not necessarily a lost war but some lost battles
3. Offense begins to struggle, costly turnovers or poor execution/calls cause stalled drives
4. Defense breaks more as Offense struggles

Part of me blames the defense because I'm not sure Peters looks great out there. He's been targeted a lot more than normal and he has had his struggles. Maybe with some pressure we get better. I actually think Humphrey has played outstanding TBH. Williams' loss was a HUGE one for us, IMHO. Any update on him btw? Losing Pierce has also been equally rough. Getting back Bowser and bringing in Ojabo will be huge for the cornerbacks. If we can get back Williams that will be grand. One of the biggest issues I see is our run defense. It is not good.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It's sort of this way, yeah. I would say it's more like this...

1. Offense comes out explosive, scoring points
2. Defense holds its own but has cracks and breaks; not necessarily a lost war but some lost battles
3. Offense begins to struggle, costly turnovers or poor execution/calls cause stalled drives
4. Defense breaks more as Offense struggles

Part of me blames the defense because I'm not sure Peters looks great out there. He's been targeted a lot more than normal and he has had his struggles. Maybe with some pressure we get better. I actually think Humphrey has played outstanding TBH. Williams' loss was a HUGE one for us, IMHO. Any update on him btw? Losing Pierce has also been equally rough. Getting back Bowser and bringing in Ojabo will be huge for the cornerbacks. If we can get back Williams that will be grand. One of the biggest issues I see is our run defense. It is not good.
Bring back Big Baby!

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
...and yet the fear of losing a franchise QB dictates we sign him regardless of any shortcomings.

...just saying. Careful with the criticism or doubt. You may be earmarked a troublemaker. ^_^
Every franchise quarterback has shortcomings. I would like to see a quarterback with no clear deficiency in his game.

Also, criticism of Lamar certainly isn't what started that, just so we're clear.