• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Waste of space players and other thoughts.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I was thinking about how pathetic carl davis has been and looking at our roster in general i'm concerned by the lack of star quality. I don't scroll down any of our players under 30 and think '' wow this guy is a bit special''.

Although Hayden hurst has some great qualities such as cris carter like hands he will not be a special TE. He'll be good but i'd have been happier even picking a guy like Hernandez over him.

imagine this O line

Stanley Hernandez C Yanda Brown

I am not an Alex Lewis/ James Hurst fan and i'm skeptical about siragusa coming back from that horror injury. Don't get me started with the joke of jermaine elumenocrap

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Carl Davis

Career NFL statistics as of Week 14, 2017
Total tackles:
Sacks: 0.5
Forced fumbles: 0
Pass deflections: 2

since 2015.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Carl Davis fell for a reason during the 2015 draft. Remember there was talk about him being a 1st rounder. No pass rush and he still lacks consistency. I didn't like our package with Williams Pierce and Davis. But we had to play him because there wasn't a guy good enough to replace him. He only plays in our 3 dl package. But Kaufusi is even worse. I was clicking through the workout pictures on the ravens website and it seems Kaufusi didn't pack enough more muscles during the offseason. Did we sign any DL-UDFA who are more than just camp bodys? At least Sieler looks promising
Overall I'm glad Ozzie got trade happy, it's about time to get rid of all the dead weight we amassed over the last couple of drafts.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Baltimore Ravens 2015 NFL draft selections

Ozzie'' The batlimore ravens are a better football team''

Harbaugh '' our scouts are amazing, what a draft, god bless america etc''
Don't take this statements too serious. What do you expect them to say? Biscotti admitted they made mistakes in the past and they're hiring new scouts. None of these picks have made a significant impact. 2013 class at least brought up Williams Juszczyk and Wagner in the later rounds. Awful from top to bottom.

Don't take this statements too serious. What do you expect them to say? Biscotti admitted they made mistakes in the past and they're hiring new scouts. None of these picks have made a significant impact. 2013 class at least brought up Williams Juszczyk and Wagner in the later rounds. Awful from top to bottom.
Don’t forget about the awful picks of KC and Kaufusi in 2016. KC hurts the most. Could have had Myles Jack instead of trading down. Even after the trade down could have had Deion Jones. That pick was just awful.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Don’t forget about the awful picks of KC and Kaufusi in 2016. KC hurts the most. Could have had Myles Jack instead of trading down. Even after the trade down could have had Deion Jones. That pick was just awful.
Ozzie drafted a lot of athletic guys that year because they wanted to get faster on defense. Correa, Kaufusi and Judon. I can understand why they were afraid of drafting Jack after the Perriman disaster. But Jones should've been the pick, but we don't draft LSU players. At least Judon worked out.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
That 2015 Draft was just horrible looking back on it now. Maybe Williams can still do something but that was a bad draft for everyone all around. Allen may actually be our best pick from that entire draft, which is a bit sad. I do think we’ll have to see what happens because maybe we can still get some ROI from guys like Davis, Williams, Smith, and Allen. If we can I would certainly consider and look into trading some of them to get some type of ROI but I’m not sure anyone would trade for them and I have no idea what we would be able to get. Probably a swap of failed picks. Maybe we can swap 1st round busts with the Patriots and send them Perriman for Dorsett.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i dont see why you think hayden hurst cant be special. hes the most athletic AND most well rounded TE in the class, he does everything you want a TE to do at an extremely high level. no TE in the class blocks better, runs better routes, or catches the ball more consistently. gesicki can make a spectacular catch more often, andrews can sit in soft zones more consistently, but hurst is essentially OJ Howard with far more evidence of being able to produce in the passing game.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
on another note, "other thoughts" is in the title so i guess this is a good place...

what would you guys think about, if possible at the end of the season, trading joe flacco and jimmy smith for day 2 picks? i would imagine one of denver, miami, or jacksonville could be very interested if flacco has a solid season, which i think he should because a pissed off flacco tends to play well.

jimmy, my favorite raven, is killing our cap to sit on the trainers table when we need him most. he plays like the best cb in the league for the first 2 months of every season and then goes down when we need to win 3 of the last 4 to make the playoffs, and guess why we usually miss the playoffs... eventually we need to try to get something for him, we have humphrey, carr, young, hill, averett, if we can recoup a 3rd for jimmy and clear that cap space, we can address the secondary in the draft next year and possibly not skip a beat.

im thinking this is the time to make all the classic "rebuild" moves. get rid of the big cap players who are doing us no favors on the field, and draft our future. and maybe, just maybe, next offseason we can make a big splash signing in FA

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
i dont see why you think hayden hurst cant be special. hes the most athletic AND most well rounded TE in the class, he does everything you want a TE to do at an extremely high level. no TE in the class blocks better, runs better routes, or catches the ball more consistently. gesicki can make a spectacular catch more often, andrews can sit in soft zones more consistently, but hurst is essentially OJ Howard with far more evidence of being able to produce in the passing game.

what do you imply as being ''special''.?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Even with those misses, that draft has the potential to yield some very good players.

Ronnie Stanley
Tavon Young
Kenneth Dixon
Willie Henry

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
We are due a superstar talent :/

Is there this rule in the castle where you're only allowed to be a v good player and preferably just solid. Elite not allowed?

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
Hang on, I think he's right

I think I see a few superstar talents still in FA this time of year, since, you know, they grow on trees. Which is why we call them "superstar" talents.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
on another note, "other thoughts" is in the title so i guess this is a good place...

what would you guys think about, if possible at the end of the season, trading joe flacco and jimmy smith for day 2 picks? i would imagine one of denver, miami, or jacksonville could be very interested if flacco has a solid season, which i think he should because a pissed off flacco tends to play well.

jimmy, my favorite raven, is killing our cap to sit on the trainers table when we need him most. he plays like the best cb in the league for the first 2 months of every season and then goes down when we need to win 3 of the last 4 to make the playoffs, and guess why we usually miss the playoffs... eventually we need to try to get something for him, we have humphrey, carr, young, hill, averett, if we can recoup a 3rd for jimmy and clear that cap space, we can address the secondary in the draft next year and possibly not skip a beat.

im thinking this is the time to make all the classic "rebuild" moves. get rid of the big cap players who are doing us no favors on the field, and draft our future. and maybe, just maybe, next offseason we can make a big splash signing in FA

It would be very helpful if we could trade Joe Flacco and Jimmy Smith. We would gain $ 20M in cap space by doing so. I think it will be hard to get day 2 picks for either of them unless that have sensational 2018 seasons. I agree with you that Joe will be inspired to produce and a quarterback needy team could possibly trade for him but I think a day 3 pick is the best we could hope for. I feel Jimmy Smith will be harder to trade. He has a $ 9.5M salary for 2019 and a history of injuries.

I think both will be gone next year and anything we could get in return would be a bonus. Could you imagine going into the 2019 season with between $ 60M and $ 70M in cap space? How would you utilize that kind of cap space?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It would be very helpful if we could trade Joe Flacco and Jimmy Smith. We would gain $ 20M in cap space by doing so. I think it will be hard to get day 2 picks for either of them unless that have sensational 2018 seasons. I agree with you that Joe will be inspired to produce and a quarterback needy team could possibly trade for him but I think a day 3 pick is the best we could hope for. I feel Jimmy Smith will be harder to trade. He has a $ 9.5M salary for 2019 and a history of injuries.

I think both will be gone next year and anything we could get in return would be a bonus. Could you imagine going into the 2019 season with between $ 60M and $ 70M in cap space? How would you utilize that kind of cap space?
Flacco is still a qb, if Alex smith can net a first flacco should get a 2nd at worst. But I'm just asking for a 3rd.

And cbs are in such demand in this day and age that even cap figure and injuries can be brushed aside for a cb of jimmys caliber. Fans don't know jimmys name, nfl coaches and players know it very well, as evidenced by offenses avoiding him like the plague

And I ustilize that cap by signing high end players across the board for a well rounded squad. Keep the OL, pass rush, and secondary strong, don't break the bank for a superstar but never have a player on the field who isn't starting caliber