• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Waste of space players and other thoughts.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
THAT'S MY BOLD PREDICTION! Give it a decade.

And that's still technically 2.
Ok, technically it is. Bill Parcells and Joe Gibbs are the only ones. However I don’t believe it would have happened if Hostetler played a full season.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m going to lose it if it comes down to perriman or Tim white as our last WR to keep and we cut white

arnie_uk

Veteran
In terms of wastes of space I’m interpreting it as guys who are taking snaps from younger guys by being just ok enough but still not great:

For me that’s ZDS and Levine

I don’t mean to say they are bad just that they might be holding young guys back

Think about the way it took an injury to Brent urban and then to Brandon Williams to get willie Henry in the rotation

I like pierce but Williams, Henry and urban should be taking the iron man snaps on this dline this year
Harbaughs biggest fault. He seems reluctant to let the young guys go unless its necessity

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Alright. I have spent the last 72 hours extensivly watching as much film of every prospect we have drafted ( couldnt get anything on the last two though apart from tiny snippets so i wont bother with segnat or seiler)

Hayden Hurst: Very high floor and solid ceiling. Could be a slightly worse version of prime jeremy shocky. Borderline Pro Bowl caliber player. Zach Ertz standard is likely. I doubt he'll be a top 3 TE but def a top 10 in this league. Outstanding hands, rather special actually..Almost tempted to say cris carter like. B grade ( taking into account where we got him).

Lamar Jackson: This is a total wildcard. It's up to lamar. As of this moment, he isn't ready. His potential is off the charts if he is given the right system ( up to us) and works on his footwork/base and get's a better feel for short/mid-range passes ( which he should as we drafted two security blankets with him). Athletically he's the most exciting player i've seen, yes, he's more athletic than michael vick..i said it. Grade is undecided.

Orlando Brown: This pick will prove to be an awesome one. I love his attitude, his run blocking and pass protection from the bull rush, in particular, is second to none compared to every tackle in this draft. I have no doubts he'll be maxed by Saunders and the athletic crew and has just stated he wants to get to 325 although i think 330 is enough. He is currently 340. He completley obliterates bull rush. So he will handle guys like Bosa, C.Lawson etc but may struggle against elite speed rushers ala von miller. He's going to be dominant. His tape actually blows me away at times. I saw his whole game vs Nick Bosa who is likely a top 3 pick next year and he handled him easy. A+

Mark Andrews
People compare mark andrews to pitta and while I see some similarities as getting open and so forth with v polished routes I think pitta had an even better feel for spaces. Andrews is a WR imo and a good one at that. Andrews is bigger than pitta with more building up speed but pitta was more explosive in short spaces IMO.Value wise, this is an A- grade.

Anthony averett
Good film. Solid floor prospect but he'll never be anything more than an above average corner at best which is fine. Anything more can be considered an unlikely bonus. Stays with receivers and is always close but does lack ball skills and needs to turn his head around a bit more. Good athlete.Has gained 10 pounds which was required as he did seem lightweight for the next level. Solid pick. B

Jaleel Scott
No. For every jump ball win I see and inability to separate at a lower level and inconsistent hands. I'm not one for combine numbers but on film he doesn;t strike me as fast enough for the next level. D

Kenny Young
Urgh, whoever scouted this guy and pounded the table for him should be fired. Lousy football IQ, misses tackles and misreads gaps. Not quick enough recovery and is weak at the point of attack. Allows yards even after tackling. Slightly above average coverage skills but nothing to consider special. poor pick. F

Jordan Lasely
Now that i've watched more film i'm actually more impressed. Very good route runner who knows where to find soft spots and plays with an alpha attitude. Makes big plays and has immense stamina. Plays faster on film than combine suggests. Take away the ridiculous drops and attitude issues this guy is an easy 2nd round pick. B+

De'Shon Elliot
Terrific value pick. Has no real weak points . Soild tackler, v good instincts and solid athlete who identifies plays well. Not super rangy but in his space he'll make plays. For a 6th round pick this is an A grade.

Last edited:

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Alright. I have spent the last 72 hours extensivly watching as much film of every prospect we have drafted ( couldnt get anything on the last two though apart from tiny snippets so i wont bother with segnat or seiler)

Hayden Hurst: Very high floor and solid ceiling. Could be a slightly worse version of prime jeremy shocky. Borderline Pro Bowl caliber player. Zach Ertz standard is likely. I doubt he'll be a top 3 TE but def a top 10 in this league. B grade ( taking into account where we got him)

Lamar Jackson: This is a total wildcard. It's up to lamar. As of this moment, he isn't ready. His potential is off the charts if he is given the right system ( up to us) and works on his footwork/base and get's a better feel for short/mid-range passes ( which he should as we drafted two security blankets with him). Athletically he's the most exciting player i've seen, yes, he's more athletic than michael vick..i said it. Grade is undecided.

Orlando Brown: This pick will prove to be an awesome one. I love his attitude, his run blocking and pass protection from the bull rush, in particular, is second to none compared to every tackle in this draft. I have no doubts he'll be maxed by Saunders and the athletic crew and has just stated he wants to get to 325 although i think 330 is enough. He is currently 340. He completley obliterates bull rush. So he will handle guys like Bosa, C.Lawson etc but may struggle against elite speed rushers ala von miller. He's going to be dominant. His tape actually blows me away at times. I saw his whole game vs Nick Bosa who is likely a top 3 pick next year and he handled him easy. A+

Anthony averett
Good film. Solid floor prospect but he'll never be anything more than an above average corner at best which is fine. Anything more can be considered an unlikely bonus. Stays with receivers and is always close but does lack ball skills and needs to turn his head around a bit more. Good athlete.Has gained 10 pounds which was required as he did seem lightweight for the next level. Solid pick. B

Jaleel Scott
No. For every jump ball win I see and inability to separate at a lower level and inconsistent hands. I'm not one for combine numbers but on film he doesn;t strike me as fast enough for the next level. D

Kenny Young
Urgh, whoever scouted this guy and pounded the table for him should be fired. Lousy football IQ, misses tackles and misreads gaps. Not quick enough recovery and is weak at the point of attack. Allows yards even after tackling. Slightly above average coverage skills but nothing to consider special. poor pick. F

Jordan Lasely
Now that i've watched more film i'm actually more impressed. Very good route runner who knows where to find soft spots and plays with an alpha attitude. Makes big plays and has immense stamina. Plays faster on film than combine suggests. Take away the ridiculous drops and attitude issues this guy is an easy 2nd round pick. B+

De'Shon Elliot
Terrific value pick. Has no real weak points . Soild tackler, v good instincts and solid athlete who identifies plays well. Not super rangy but in his space he'll make plays. For a 6th round pick this is an A grade.
What do you think about Mark Andrews?

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just added. I'm not sure about andrews because I see a WR not a TE. A good WR btw..

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
Flacco is still a qb, if Alex smith can net a first flacco should get a 2nd at worst. But I'm just asking for a 3rd.

And cbs are in such demand in this day and age that even cap figure and injuries can be brushed aside for a cb of jimmys caliber. Fans don't know jimmys name, nfl coaches and players know it very well, as evidenced by offenses avoiding him like the plague

And I ustilize that cap by signing high end players across the board for a well rounded squad. Keep the OL, pass rush, and secondary strong, don't break the bank for a superstar but never have a player on the field who isn't starting caliber

I think Flacco would need to have a season similar to 2014 under Kubiak to net a two 2nd rounders, but even with that he’s probably going to get 3rd & 4th with that contract still attached to him.

Funny how you say if Alex Smith can net a 1st, Smith was actually traded for CB Fuller & 3rd round pick regardless with A.Smith a team knows what to expect limited turnovers, consistent play at QB.
Last 4 season comparison of Smith and Flacco
A.Smith 66.3% avg, 14,295 yds, 79 tds, 26 ints
61 games 39-22
Flacco 63.9% avg, 14,235 yds, 79 tds, 52 ints
58 games 30-28

I did Flacco a favor by including 2014 season.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

Hayden Hurst: Very high floor and solid ceiling. Could be a slightly worse version of prime jeremy shocky. Borderline Pro Bowl caliber player. Zach Ertz standard is likely. I doubt he'll be a top 3 TE but def a top 10 in this league. Outstanding hands, rather special actually..Almost tempted to say cris carter like. B grade ( taking into account where we got him).

Mark Andrews
People compare mark andrews to pitta and while I see some similarities as getting open and so forth with v polished routes I think pitta had an even better feel for spaces. Andrews is a WR imo and a good one at that. Andrews is bigger than pitta with more building up speed but pitta was more explosive in short spaces IMO.Value wise, this is an A- grade.

Anthony averett

Jaleel Scott

Kenny Young

Jordan Lasely

De'Shon Elliot

Holy ****... Someone call poison control.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor

Mark Andrews

Anthony averett

Jaleel Scott

Kenny Young

Jordan Lasely

De'Shon Elliot
All of your grades are pretty fair I think. Good write up. I think Scott might surprise people though.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

Mark Andrews

Anthony averett

Jaleel Scott

Kenny Young

Jordan Lasely

De'Shon Elliot
I actually can't believe you love Orlando

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Mark Andrews

Anthony averett

Jaleel Scott

Kenny Young

Jordan Lasely

De'Shon Elliot
For someone who thought this was an awful draft you have a lot of optimism. Glad you went back to watch the film. Think you did the same with Humphrey last year as well, if I’m not mistaken.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
For someone who thought this was an awful draft you have a lot of optimism. Glad you went back to watch the film. Think you did the same with Humphrey last year as well, if I’m not mistaken.

Indeed. I still think we could have done two things.

- Genard Avery instead of kenny young
-Wyatt Teller instead of Jaleel Scott

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hayden Hurst
Lamar Jackson
Orlando Brown
Mark Andrews
Anthony Averrett
Genard Avery
Wyatt Teller
Jordan Lasley
De'Shon Elliot

that would have been super ideal. A far better all round ILB prospect and a superb gaurd prospect who could play C or G at a higher level than alex lewis or matt skura respectively. Seems like our FO forgot to scout virginia tech :/

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
btw one player i didnt bother with is bozeman because he was so meh i wanted to forget him. Gave that pick a D- grade

The guys who won't make it are

Kenny Young
Jaleel Scott
Bozeman
Senat ( the new nembot)

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have O line concerns. It could be a lot better than it is. In particular down the middle. LG and C havent been upgraded. Boy if we had an extra early 2nd round pick and picked hernandez i'd feel so amped but we're stuck with alex lewis and james hurst and an unkown quantity at C.

Stanley, Hurst, Lewis, Yanda, Brown

Stanley, Lewis, Skura, Yanda, Brown

Wished for : Stanley, Hernandez, Yanda, Lewis, Brown

fuck..always something missing with our O line.

With lamar jackson it's important we have a really good C to maximize his potential. We have none. that sucks.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I have O line concerns. It could be a lot better than it is. In particular down the middle. LG and C havent been upgraded. Boy if we had an extra early 2nd round pick and picked hernandez i'd feel so amped but we're stuck with alex lewis and james hurst and an unkown quantity at C.

With lamar jackson it's important we have a really good C to maximize his potential. We have none. that sucks.
Alex Lewis is average but way better than you claim him to be.

So PFF just did a study measuring guard play and they came to the conclusion that there isn’t much of a difference between elite guard play vs average guard play. As long as we’re average at LG we should be fine. I’m not a big fan of their player grades but it’s hard to go against their studies which involve a lot of different variables. Also the difference between an elite C and an average one is 15 whole plays in a season