• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Waste of space players and other thoughts.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Skins gave a one for Alex smith.

Flacco was a super bowl MVP who went 11:0 in that run. None of these "all we need is a qb so here's a first round pick" guys have that resume.
that is certainly true. for 11 games flacco was outstanding.

to get anything for him now he would have to demonstrate he's still got it. that will not be taken on faith alone. flacco had a LOT of team around him in those years and though more than a game manager he was merely a cog in that machine. the other working parts that surrounded flacco don't exist now and joejoe will not demonstrate enough next year to trade him the following one. We better have a viable QB lined up though if that is the plan.

anyway this is my last post for a very long time. I'm not going to get wrapped up in anticipating football season this year. The spring is lovely and theres much to do. Because the season looks dismal theres no reason to hype. See you when the games start. Take a break. theres nothing to see here now.

signed,

rayrayraven, the bestest and smartestly raven fan ever

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Um what? If that's the case why would the Skins trade for Smith. Or the Browns trade for Landry? Or literally any other trade like that. They happen all the time I don't know what the hell you're questioning. If you don't trade for the player it's no sure thing that they would even sign with you later.

The skins lacked leverage. Their starting WB was leaving and everyone knew it so they NEEDED to get another and the Cheifs did not neef to start over. Next year the Ravens will need the cap space and everyone knows it. I'd be happy with a 2nd.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
that is certainly true. for 11 games flacco was outstanding.

to get anything for him now he would have to demonstrate he's still got it. that will not be taken on faith alone. flacco had a LOT of team around him in those years and though more than a game manager he was merely a cog in that machine. the other working parts that surrounded flacco don't exist now and joejoe will not demonstrate enough next year to trade him the following one. We better have a viable QB lined up though if that is the plan.

anyway this is my last post for a very long time. I'm not going to get wrapped up in anticipating football season this year. The spring is lovely and theres much to do. Because the season looks dismal theres no reason to hype. See you when the games start. Take a break. theres nothing to see here now.

signed,

rayrayraven, the bestest and smartestly raven fan ever
11 TDs to 0 ints in 4 playoff games vs 2 outstanding defenses, jackass.

Also, you just admitted he can play big and win big games with a good team around him, I'm clearly suggesting that a good team with SB aspirations but lacking a qb would trade for him..

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The skins lacked leverage. Their starting WB was leaving and everyone knew it so they NEEDED to get another and the Cheifs did not neef to start over. Next year the Ravens will need the cap space and everyone knows it. I'd be happy with a 2nd.
But then you enter a bidding war and are at risk of missing out.

The skins could have been in play to draft a qb but instead did what they did so they wouldn't have to get thrown into the frenzy.

Teams do it. Idk why you're acting like it's some unfounded idea

c'ville i'm beginnin to think you put one of our "1st round" draft picks up as an avatar no matter who it is!
Please take that avatar down. It reminds us of your multi season matt elam avatar!!! Better yet, can you put the Matt Elam avatar back up with "lamar Jackson" printed under it? ^_^

I'm gonna rest on Lamars final college game where he caught a little pressure. (Something he'll never see in the NFL right?) and he tossed amazing throws in his best Jamis Winston impersonation. He had just thrown for a whopping percentage against Kentucky prior to that game, but he came back down to earth as quickly as DeCost is gonna reenter from his orbit. (DeCost I'm calling you out buddy for what you really are!!!!! you better start packing!) How dare you squander those second rounders like that. DeCost, you coulda drafted him in the 2nd round! And if he wasn't there so what.

Lamar's last collegiate game. Hey he did run well though. Hey, maybe Lamar can Read Option his way to the starting job!!!!

I love collegiate running QB's this is so much fun!!!! Though a really good running college QB can literally transform a college team into a BCS contender all by hisself!
Yes I do that. I'm a fan and I'll continue to do that bust or not. I'd rather do that than have an avi of Ed Reed in a jets jersey but hey I guess I'm not cLaiReVoyAnt enough to call every player they draft a bust before they even play.

Even with those misses, that draft has the potential to yield some very good players.

Ronnie Stanley
Tavon Young
Kenneth Dixon
Willie Henry
True but none of those players will be superstars imo. Stanley has the best chance but seems like he’s never 100%. Jones is probably already the best coverage LB in the NFL. He would have made a huge impact on this team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

The skins could have been in play to draft a qb but instead did what they did so they wouldn't have to get thrown into the frenzy.

especially now that with the salary cap as it is that teams are more inclined to trade in general - we've had a veritable tsunami of trades this year since before free agency started and it hasnt really stopped yet

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Not wasting time reading thru all that, but a 1 or 2 is highly unlikely. Like someone else said it's obvious we'll need the space more than a team the qb. Smith is also coming off one his best seasons while Flacco... TBD. That was also a decent rate for Smith, though I'm not sure what Flaccos hits will be after the guaranteed is taken off.

All I'm seeing is dollar signs for when Flacco, Jimmy, Weddle and Suggs are gone. We gonna have some new toys on offense. Would be my guess. Could trade for another difference maker like Boldin who's actually going into their prime for once.

Can't say people are busts before they actually play by the way. If that's the case I was very wrong on Goff and lesser degree Wentz.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
especially now that with the salary cap as it is that teams are more inclined to trade in general - we've had a veritable tsunami of trades this year since before free agency started and it hasnt really stopped yet

The pay scale changed everything. 1st round deals are easier to get out of now and people have no problem it seems going out to find replacement than just trying to stick it out with who they have. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a successful coach decides to start cycling qbs like any other player(unless they show something special).

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I would be surprised if we didn't find a trade partner I just expect its for a mid 2nd round pick. If they can get a mid 1st I won't complain obviously that just seems high.

Although the cap hit for the receiving team is fairly low.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I would be surprised if we didn't find a trade partner I just expect its for a mid 2nd round pick. If they can get a mid 1st I won't complain obviously that just seems high.

that's exactly the point - flacco would be exceedingly cheap compared to any non-rookie franchise qb to any team that trades for him because his salary and bonuses are much lower than his cap hit

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The pay scale changed everything. 1st round deals are easier to get out of now and people have no problem it seems going out to find replacement than just trying to stick it out with who they have. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a successful coach decides to start cycling qbs like any other player(unless they show something special).
Name one coach other than Joe Gibbs who won a super bowl with more than one qb. There isn’t one.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Name one coach other than Joe Gibbs who won a super bowl with more than one qb. There isn’t one.

Didn't Parcells technically win with 2 guys? And the league is changing. I could see a coach saying I'm not paying a marginal qb cap crippling money of they believe in their system and the context of the team around the position.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I mean... I did say a day 2 pick...

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not wasting time reading thru all that, but a 1 or 2 is highly unlikely. Like someone else said it's obvious we'll need the space more than a team the qb. Smith is also coming off one his best seasons while Flacco... TBD. That was also a decent rate for Smith, though I'm not sure what Flaccos hits will be after the guaranteed is taken off.

All I'm seeing is dollar signs for when Flacco, Jimmy, Weddle and Suggs are gone. We gonna have some new toys on offense. Would be my guess. Could trade for another difference maker like Boldin who's actually going into their prime for once.

Can't say people are busts before they actually play by the way. If that's the case I was very wrong on Goff and lesser degree Wentz.
I'm not sold on Goff. If McVay doesn't pre read the defense Goff still struggles to get the right read. Watch the plays where McVay gets the call in early vs. late.
I think we'll get a mid 1st rounder or a 1st for a 5th round if Flacco stays healthy. Our TE/WR core is much improved. Getting Yanda back is huge even if he's only 70%. No more Moore and Perriman. No more Boyle and Maxx TE sets.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
on another note, "other thoughts" is in the title so i guess this is a good place...

what would you guys think about, if possible at the end of the season, trading joe flacco and jimmy smith for day 2 picks? i would imagine one of denver, miami, or jacksonville could be very interested if flacco has a solid season, which i think he should because a pissed off flacco tends to play well.

jimmy, my favorite raven, is killing our cap to sit on the trainers table when we need him most. he plays like the best cb in the league for the first 2 months of every season and then goes down when we need to win 3 of the last 4 to make the playoffs, and guess why we usually miss the playoffs... eventually we need to try to get something for him, we have humphrey, carr, young, hill, averett, if we can recoup a 3rd for jimmy and clear that cap space, we can address the secondary in the draft next year and possibly not skip a beat.

im thinking this is the time to make all the classic "rebuild" moves. get rid of the big cap players who are doing us no favors on the field, and draft our future. and maybe, just maybe, next offseason we can make a big splash signing in FA

It would be very helpful if we could trade Joe Flacco and Jimmy Smith. We would gain $ 20M in cap space by doing so. I think it will be hard to get day 2 picks for either of them unless that have sensational 2018 seasons. I agree with you that Joe will be inspired to produce and a quarterback needy team could possibly trade for him but I think a day 3 pick is the best we could hope for. I feel Jimmy Smith will be harder to trade. He has a $ 9.5M salary for 2019 and a history of injuries.

I think both will be gone next year and anything we could get in return would be a bonus. Could you imagine going into the 2019 season with between $ 60M and $ 70M in cap space? How would you utilize that kind of cap space?

Flacco is still a qb, if Alex smith can net a first flacco should get a 2nd at worst. But I'm just asking for a 3rd.

And cbs are in such demand in this day and age that even cap figure and injuries can be brushed aside for a cb of jimmys caliber. Fans don't know jimmys name, nfl coaches and players know it very well, as evidenced by offenses avoiding him like the plague

And I ustilize that cap by signing high end players across the board for a well rounded squad. Keep the OL, pass rush, and secondary strong, don't break the bank for a superstar but never have a player on the field who isn't starting caliber
I think we can get a 2nd for Joe because he is a QB, as stated. He hasn’t played great but you can’t forget he is a QB and even bad QB get traded for decent value. Don’t forget also the poor QB class in both FA and the draft next year, and it’s very likely we could churn out a 2nd even for Joe. Someone out there will convince themselves they can fix him.

Jimmy I don’t think we get us more than a 5th if we’re lucky. He’s a CB but he’s older and he hasn’t had a healthy season in years. I think that dramatically kills his value and he’s paid rather high so like SEA in Sherman I don’t think we will get a lot for him.

I think we can get a 2nd for Joe because he is a QB, as stated. He hasn’t played great but you can’t forget he is a QB and even bad QB get traded for decent value. Don’t forget also the poor QB class in both FA and the draft next year, and it’s very likely we could churn out a 2nd even for Joe. Someone out there will convince themselves they can fix him.

Jimmy I don’t think we get us more than a 5th if we’re lucky. He’s a CB but he’s older and he hasn’t had a healthy season in years. I think that dramatically kills his value and he’s paid rather high so like SEA in Sherman I don’t think we will get a lot for him.
Not sure if the QB class is as poor as you think next year. Will Grier and Ryan Finley were talked about often before they went back to school. I’m sure team needs are going to even push them up higher on draft boards. The value of a rookie QB on a rookie contract plus the potential outweighs a veteran QB on a ridiculous salary and knowing what type of player he is.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not sure if the QB class is as poor as you think next year. Will Grier and Ryan Finley were talked about often before they went back to school. I’m sure team needs are going to even push them up higher on draft boards. The value of a rookie QB on a rookie contract plus the potential outweighs a veteran QB on a ridiculous salary and knowing what type of player he is.
It doesn't look good to me. You may have a guy or two next year, but I'm not sure it is anything worth writing home about compared to other years. Next year looks to be amazing for defensive linemen on the edge and interior, but I'm unimpressed by the QBs. I think 2020 will be a good one but we're a ways away from that. The QB FA class is horrid, honestly. I think we could get something for Joe, but we'll be competing with the Eagles because they will likely look to unload Foles then should they have buyers. They have admittedly had very good success trading QBs compared to us. We will see, though.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Didn't Parcells technically win with 2 guys? And the league is changing. I could see a coach saying I'm not paying a marginal qb cap crippling money of they believe in their system and the context of the team around the position.
Only due to Phil Simms getting injured, but Hostetler wasn’t the qb for most of the season.

I doubt that would happen, atleast not a coach who is going to be coach for long.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Only due to Phil Simms getting injured, but Hostetler wasn’t the qb for most of the season.

I doubt that would happen, atleast not a coach who is going to be coach for long.

THAT'S MY BOLD PREDICTION! Give it a decade.

And that's still technically 2.