• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

flynismo

Practice Squad
Right there with you on everything. As long as the refs don't become a deciding factor, there's basically no way for me to get upset even if we lose a nail biter.

I can't put it into words on how elated I am to be back in the playoffs (AND we won the division too!). Like every team in the league, we have some glaring needs to address and I don't think this team is good enough to win it all. Though I will say that the playoffs are a different beast and anything can happen so who knows. Since I have nothing against the Bolts, this is going to be the first playoff game where I can watch it relaxed. Gosh....imagine saying that shit.

Every team has glaring needs. This team is every bit as capable of going all the way as the Chiefs or Saints are (sigh...both are teams that we lost to, although it is arguable that we should have won both if we didn't screw up in the final minutes).

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Every team has glaring needs. This team is every bit as capable of going all the way as the Chiefs or Saints are (sigh...both are teams that we lost to, although it is arguable that we should have won both if we didn't screw up in the final minutes).

Every bit is a stretch. Lets not pretend the Chiefs, Rams, and Saints are all not more likely to go all the way than the Ravens (I'm one of the few who has not wavered that this team has a Super Bowl level roster but still).

There is reason for hope but they are all still favored.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Every bit is a stretch. Lets not pretend the Chiefs, Rams, and Saints are all not more likely to go all the way than the Ravens (I'm one of the few who has not wavered that this team has a Super Bowl level roster but still).

There is reason for hope but they are all still favored.

the AFC is so open - good teams but the teams in the best form are in the lower seeds and maybe only the chiefs looked unstoppable at any point this season

id be more worried/nervous/down if we were in the NFC and had to run the gauntlet of Rams, Saints, Bears...

again not saying it will happen but the situation has been kind in some ways

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
the AFC is so open - good teams but the teams in the best form are in the lower seeds and maybe only the chiefs looked unstoppable at any point this season

id be more worried/nervous/down if we were in the NFC and had to run the gauntlet of Rams, Saints, Bears...

again not saying it will happen but the situation has been kind in some ways
if the chiefs went to the super bowl i would love to see them win. Andy Reid deserves s SB

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Regardless of how this team finishes, can we just all acknowledge how exciting it is to be a ravens fan right now...

Lamar was being asked to play wr, he refused, he is a talent who clearly should’ve went top 20 despite looking like he needed 1 or 2 years to develop, he tumbled and of every team we were the ones with the balls make the move for him, and it’s PAYING OFF, he is everything we hoped for, and is just getting started.

The ravens are taking the league by storm right now, lamar Jackson is the center of nfl headlines with his exciting play, every analyst says that we are the team everyone is scared of, it’s just insane.

The ravens have literally never seen something like this, just such a strange thing for this franchise, for an offensive risk in the draft to be paying off this much and to have such a hype machine. God damn I love it.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Regardless of how this team finishes, can we just all acknowledge how exciting it is to be a ravens fan right now...

Lamar was being asked to play wr, he refused, he is a talent who clearly should’ve went top 20 despite looking like he needed 1 or 2 years to develop, he tumbled and of every team we were the ones with the balls make the move for him, and it’s PAYING OFF, he is everything we hoped for, and is just getting started.

The ravens are taking the league by storm right now, lamar Jackson is the center of nfl headlines with his exciting play, every analyst says that we are the team everyone is scared of, it’s just insane.

The ravens have literally never seen something like this, just such a strange thing for this franchise, for an offensive risk in the draft to be paying off this much and to have such a hype machine. God damn I love it.
I enjoyed what Schlereth said here (starts at 6:15)

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

And people and media are talking about us - ALL THE TIME - it’s great and strange at the same time

What I like about it is that it’s getting more recognition for other parts of our team too because everyone wants to have the best Lamar take so they start watching ravens tape and then they see what’s actually happening on both sides of the ball but it means that gus Edwards is a household name after basically 7 starts as a udfa and guys like CJ who are already well known get talked about too

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I enjoyed what Schlereth said here (starts at 6:15)

Watched this earlier and I love it, he mentions something nobody realizes, the blocking, and the huge mismatches all over the box. People who obviously uneducated on football all say the same thing, “oh what happens when they stack the box? What happens when they spy him?” Dumbasses, every defense we’ve faced has stacked the box and spied him, we are plowing through 8 and 9 man fronts, lamar is leaving spies in the dust, and schlereth broke down why it’s working and how it can’t be schemed against, the ravens turn a 9 man front into a 6-7 man front and then break that front in half and give themselves 2 options based on the mismatch and leverage, you can scheme against a kaepernick or Rg3, you can’t scheme against lamar Jackson, because AFTER all those mismatches, even if you execute perfectly at the line of scrimmage, you still need to hope that a top 5 skilled runner in the league and top 5 fastest starter in the league won’t break one, and that’s hard as shit to do when he touches the ball every single snap.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Watched this earlier and I love it, he mentions something nobody realizes, the blocking, and the huge mismatches all over the box. People who obviously uneducated on football all say the same thing, “oh what happens when they stack the box? What happens when they spy him?” Dumbasses, every defense we’ve faced has stacked the box and spied him, we are plowing through 8 and 9 man fronts, lamar is leaving spies in the dust, and schlereth broke down why it’s working and how it can’t be schemed against, the ravens turn a 9 man front into a 6-7 man front and then break that front in half and give themselves 2 options based on the mismatch and leverage, you can scheme against a kaepernick or Rg3, you can’t scheme against lamar Jackson, because AFTER all those mismatches, even if you execute perfectly at the line of scrimmage, you still need to hope that a top 5 skilled runner in the league and top 5 fastest starter in the league won’t break one, and that’s hard as shit to do when he touches the ball every single snap.

But the real key is the system and Lamar combined makes it really difficult to consistently execute for a few reasons

1. To the defence if a RB is in the backfield then basically every snap is an option or play action which makes the play harder to predict pre-snap (adds an extra instant of hesitation) and on top of that we can run from an empty set too
  2. The motion pre-snap by a TE almost every snap makes it difficult for the defence to adjust to the numbers especially when that TE could just pull straight across the line
  3. That motion and the pullers adds deception to the play in that it holds defenders eyes which can do a couple of things: it makes it harder to work out who has the ball and it makes it harder to keep eyes on where the play’s going - eye discipline is so critical vs our offence but we make it so different to achieve for the defence
  4. Lamar is great at ball fakes - if anything you can criticise him for wanting to hold that mesh point too long and contributing to fumbles
  5. And all of this is before the pass even gets involved
  6. We can always create those numbers mismatches because Lamar’s so quick that there’s no threat that the unblocked backside blockers are gonna get him from behind - I think the only guy who’s managed it was geno Atkins in lamar’s first start
So perfect execution still isn’t a signifier or success - and all it takes a slight hesitation by a LB or a DE crashing down and not only do we get a positive play, we break a long one

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Jeff Saturday is the other guy that absolutely loves Lamar and what our offense is doing.
I guess O linemen are all the same and these two wish they are younger so they can block for a freak of nature that Jackson is.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jeff Saturday is the other guy that absolutely loves Lamar and what our offense is doing.
I guess O linemen are all the same and these two wish they are younger so they can block for a freak of nature that Jackson is.
That hopefully is one of the reasons why Yanda does decide to stay another year.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
some fun teams in both halves of the draw in the playoffs this year that would create some nice matchups

just please dont let it be the patriots or cowboys lol

Dead ass... I wouldn't watch a Patriots Cowboys SB.

I'd actually be forced to root for BB.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
@allblackraven Stink is one of the guys I actually enjoy listening to. Never seems to show bias and just tells it how he sees it with something usually backed by facts. Don't really consider him an analyst, but been fun to see his growth over the years at the position. He just knows the game.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not even just people uneducated on football - Merriman basically said all you’ve gotta do is put a LB in there to spy Lamar and that will make him one dimensional. No, you fuckin dumbass, what do you think no one has thought to spy him yet? That won’t stop him. Really hate when people talk out of their ass.