• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We resigned rg3 because he is familiar with the gimmicky offense. I just dont wanna see that same wack offense as lasr yr.

no we re-signed him because he has similar play-style and abilities to lamar, has a comfort level with our organisation and its coaching staff, and has a relationship with lamar, and because he played ok enough in the limited snaps he did get (and in preseason)

you're going to have to explain what you mean by "gimmicky" because RGIII doesnt play gimmicky offence

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
they arent allowed to have contact about stuff like the playbook at this point in the offseason - but i would if there wasnt a discussion after the chargers game about what Lamar liked/disliked/thought would work/what he wanted to work with etc. in terms of scheme around him - i mean they definitely had a discussion about his development and what he needed to work on because that's what he's off in florida working on right now with snead and lasley so i would expect there was some discussion of scheme etc. that they'll take into account

i expect there'll be some flexibility in terms of emphasis as well and what plays lamar likes the most but that will be something they work on when they actually get back into the building for OTAs etc

but yeah per the CBA they cannot be talking to him right now (while they are developing the new playbook) - i imagine stuff like this will change after the next CBA (there seems to be interest from both the coaches and the players to have rules that allow players to spend more time in the building and improving themselves with help in the offseason periods when they arent allowed to have contact under the current rules
I think Lamar has the ability to nail down some plays they ran last year. That shouldn't affect the CBA at all. All they had to do in the exit interview with Lamar and the receivers is to tell them to practice some plays and get their timing down. How those plays fit into the new scheme and nomenclature can always be discussed when they can bring them in during OTAs. So I'm sure they had a clear plan laid out to the QB and receiving corps including TEs to help them improve their skill sets and rapport with one another. At least this is what I would've done if the CBA was a limiting factor and it is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Lamar has the ability to nail down some plays they ran last year. That shouldn't affect the CBA at all. All they had to do in the exit interview with Lamar and the receivers is to tell them to practice some plays and get their timing down. How those plays fit into the new scheme and nomenclature can always be discussed when they can bring them in during OTAs. So I'm sure they had a clear plan laid out to the QB and receiving corps including TEs to help them improve their skill sets and rapport with one another. At least this is what I would've done if the CBA was a limiting factor and it is.

honestly they'll have given him some mechanical pointers maybe and some stuff to work on but will have left almost all of it up to lamar and his offseason coach

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I honestly hate this offense that we are running with a passion. Imagine going up against BB in the playoffs running this kinda offense
Well, the Ravens did once destroy the Pats in the playoffs by running straight at them a lot. That isn't too much different than what we did this past season.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I honestly hate this offense that we are running with a passion. Imagine going up against BB in the playoffs running this kinda offense
First like @rossihunter2 said we don't what our offense gonna look like until the start of the regular season.
you're right that they're building towards a run first offense. Run first these days doesn't mean 60% run and 40%pass. We'll see.
If you want to win the sb you have to pass, running is the ball isn't the answer. Every smart coach can stop one dimensional run offenses.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
no we re-signed him because he has similar play-style and abilities to lamar, has a comfort level with our organisation and its coaching staff, and has a relationship with lamar, and because he played ok enough in the limited snaps he did get (and in preseason)

you're going to have to explain what you mean by "gimmicky" because RGIII doesnt play gimmicky offence
I mean he ran the read option while with redskins lol.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well, the Ravens did once destroy the Pats in the playoffs by running straight at them a lot. That isn't too much different than what we did this past season.
The reason why i think we were always able to compete with pats is cause BB could never key in on our offense like how could everyone else. I feel like there was never just one single aspect on our offense that made us who were were, we always had different styles to rely on. Not to mention our defense for the most part always played them well. However.. trying to play against BB in playoffs with these TE sets and these mostion wr plays aint gonna work at all. If chargers locked us up BB def can. our defense would have to be amazing in order for us to be successful if we gonna run this same offense as last yr

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
First like @rossihunter2 said we don't what our offense gonna look like until the start of the regular season.
you're right that they're building towards a run first offense. Run first these days doesn't mean 60% run and 40%pass. We'll see.
If you want to win the sb you have to pass, running is the ball isn't the answer. Every smart coach can stop one dimensional run offenses.
i just want the best for lamar. I want us to do everything there is for us to get the best out of him.. i dnt mind run first offense but atleast dont make it obvious like last season

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Only his 1st season. Then it was just a few plays a game. Besides we didn't run much read option or rpo at all towards the end of the season. They were mostly traps
I just dont wanna see the same offense from last year and at this point does it not seem like it will be? thats all im saying. id rather run 5 wide for most of game than to see that shit again

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I just dont wanna see the same offense from last year and at this point does it not seem like it will be? thats all im saying. id rather run 5 wide for most of game than to see that shit again
they have already said the offense is being building an entirely new offense from the ground up. So no, it doesn't seem that way.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
i just want the best for lamar. I want us to do everything there is for us to get the best out of him.. i dnt mind run first offense but atleast dont make it obvious like last season

I trust Roman to run our offense way more than I trusted Marty. I think we'll use Andrews and Hurst more effectively and I don't think we'll be as predicable on offense either. I would still expect to see some RPOs sprinkled in from time to time, but I highly doubt that they'll remain the focal point for us.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
honestly they'll have given him some mechanical pointers maybe and some stuff to work on but will have left almost all of it up to lamar and his offseason coach
Can I ask you a question? Does the CBA stop Roman from speaking with a personal coach that an NFL player may hire to help? If it doesn't then he's the perfect back channel to keep the coaching going by the backdoor no?