• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i remember more good than bad with lamar tbh.. i do remember all the ones he threw to the ground though lol. I got faith in him but as far now im gonna let his ass have it lol

i think honestly a lot of that gets fixed with more consistent footwork - he had a tendency to lose his footwork (and sometimes even his shoulders as well) even on those short easy throws and they'd come out too high/low because he's not driving the football through - that's a consistency thing and im almost 100% sure that its a major part of what hes working on down in florida - having his feet and shoulders working in tandem on a consistent basis even when faced with pressure up the middle

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i think honestly a lot of that gets fixed with more consistent footwork - he had a tendency to lose his footwork (and sometimes even his shoulders as well) even on those short easy throws and they'd come out too high/low because he's not driving the football through - that's a consistency thing and im almost 100% sure that its a major part of what hes working on down in florida - having his feet and shoulders working in tandem on a consistent basis even when faced with pressure up the middle
I never really noticed the way his shoulders were lined up because i guess that since i figured he was very mobile that they wouldnt be alinged all the time, so ill check that out... another thing is that i fucking hate the way he holds the ball, with his index finger basically closer to the point of the football.. im convinced thats why some of his throws wobble

Reactions: cdp

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
He had plenty of bad lol, and I’m not one to judge on highlights but one thing highlights do is let you see what someone does well, and lamar can throw, it’s just the inconsistency, and there’s a strong pattern there with it, when his mechanics are right he’s generally throwing well, and when his mechanics are off he throws ducks, if he can avoid reverting to the shit mechanics and if he progresses as a field reader then I think he’s gonna be ok, hopefully that all comes in due time but I’m ready to sit through the growing pains, and as long as he shows progress then I’ll have faith, and he showed a lot of progress to me last year, I watched a shitload of his college tape and he was vastly improved mechanically, but he had his moments where he reverted back.
The fact that we are seeing progress is good enough for me right now.. we all still gonna talk shit about him but at the end of the day we know its gonna be growing pains like you said lol

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I never really noticed the way his shoulders were lined up because i guess that since i figured he was very mobile that they wouldnt be alinged all the time, so ill check that out... another thing is that i fucking hate the way he holds the ball, with his index finger basically closer to the point of the football.. im convinced thats why some of his throws wobble
The way he holds the ball could also be part of why he fumbles as much as he does.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah his front shoulder points either downfield or the direction he’s running pretty consistently

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lamar has been criticized for his deep ball accuracy (especially outside the numbers). However, according Mark Chichester of Pro Football Focus, LJ had a QB rating of 86.5 from a clean pocket (Baker 100.2, Darnold 93.9, Rosen 80.9, and Allen 79.8) better than two of the other rookie QB’s taken in the first round a year ago. His deep ball QB rating ranked second at 93.8 (trailing only Mayfields mark of 107.6).

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar has been criticized for his deep ball accuracy (especially outside the numbers). However, according Mark Chichester of Pro Football Focus, LJ had a QB rating of 86.5 from a clean pocket (Baker 100.2, Darnold 93.9, Rosen 80.9, and Allen 79.8) better than two of the other rookie QB’s taken in the first round a year ago. His deep ball QB rating ranked second at 93.8 (trailing only Mayfields mark of 107.6).
Clean pocket being operative. Give him time in the pocket and a chance to get off his first read.....OLINE help please.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Clean pocket being operative. Give him time in the pocket and a chance to get off his first read.....OLINE help please.

The most encouraging thing about Lamar as a passer last year is that his accuracy improved the more time he had to get through his progressions

He obviously wasn’t perfect reading the field but he was more effective as a passer for every extra read he got through on a per snap basis which is not something rookies are notoriously good at

He has problems as a rookie passer that are atypical for rookie QBs traditionally

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

rossihunter2

Staff Member
No. I think he managed a dig in stride. Some of those outs and flats are high or behind...not pin point by a fair stretch on many of the throws.

i take solace in the fact that it didnt look like he was really putting any effort into throwing or anything - like basically was there for timing etc. to help out a mate - that's what i think (and hope)

also just random point - that field looks fucking awful lol

i do wish that even in random things like this he actually practiced his mechanics

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He looked very lazy on those throws lol zero rhythm or pace, I don’t think he was trying.

Not trying to make excuses, I worry very much about his progress and whether he can develop, but he was obviously just going through the motions there

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
yes, but I'm comparing apples to apples with the other rookie QBs. I understand its based on clean pocket.