• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I do not think its fair to put losses or wins on the QB and while the QB position is very important I think its a tad crazy how analysts like to attribute a win/loss record to solely that position as though the QB does not have an OLine, receivers and RBs who help him succeed and a defense that he literally cannot contribute to (though its funny to watch certain "analysts" act like the reason some defenses are number 1 are because of the QB). Last year the Ravens had a top defense and a soft end of season schedule which is a big reason why the team did well.

The team doing well though is no more a mark for Jackson then the team doing poorly would be a mark against him. Lamar has looked a little off now for 4 games in a row passing but at least against the Bengals his running is on point. On the other hand, its crazy to say he has shown nothing that says he can be a functional passer unless the definition of that word redefines functional to the point where none of the 5 QBs drafted showed that. To be fair though none of the 5 QBs have established themselves firmly as "franchise" QBs. Some of them are closer then others, but there are none who have showed me that they are for certain "the guy" of the next 10-15 years.
you're right, it isn't fair to attribute wins or losses on the QB. It is a team effort. That being said, I don't think we would have that record if Flacco was QB. Last season in the same season he was 4-5 before getting injured with the same defense.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
you're right, it isn't fair to attribute wins or losses on the QB. It is a team effort. That being said, I don't think we would have that record if Flacco was QB. Last season in the same season he was 4-5 before getting injured with the same defense.

I get it. So what you're saying is put in RG3 so defense will play better.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Could I say the same about OBJ though? Also, its worth noting that those last 7 were significantly easier then first 9 in terms of schedule. The biggest upset was the Chargers which was one of the best defensive efforts I have seen in a win (the playoff game is definitely the best defense I have ever seen in a loss). The reason we all assumed Chargers game was a loss was because their offense was unstoppable but then it was not.

Also considering the exact same run happened the year before I am starting to think that the complexity of the Ravens defense lends itself to the team getting much better in the second half of the year vs the first and the same probably goes for the offense. I consider it similar to how the Pats are really on beatable in September except for the Ravens its September AND October because well Harbs is good but he isnt BB good.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Could I say the same about OBJ though? Also, its worth noting that those last 7 were significantly easier then first 9 in terms of schedule. The biggest upset was the Chargers which was one of the best defensive efforts I have seen in a win (the playoff game is definitely the best defense I have ever seen in a loss). The reason we all assumed Chargers game was a loss was because their offense was unstoppable but then it was not.

Also considering the exact same run happened the year before I am starting to think that the complexity of the Ravens defense lends itself to the team getting much better in the second half of the year vs the first and the same probably goes for the offense. I consider it similar to how the Pats are really on beatable in September except for the Ravens its September AND October because well Harbs is good but he isnt BB good.
I could see the complexity of the defense lending a hand to the team getting better in the second half. That being said hopefully this year part of that is Jimmy coming back. However with all the injuries in the secondary now, each week it is getting harder and harder.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
“He doesn’t throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field.” - who do we have that can get open downfield? After the second game they always leave a safety over the top for brown.

in this game missing his most explosive receiver he still had 7.15 yds/a which is around the league average over the season
for the season he's currently 10th in the league in this stat (a pretty useful one which takes into account both accuracy and downfield attempts)

as a pure passer lamar's in the top 15 and mostly around the top 10 in almost all useful qb metrics:

• 12th in pure yds
  • 15th in completion% : 65%(he's only that low because he was around 50% in that one game against the chiefs - he'd be 8th at nearly 70% if that chiefs game gets wiped from the record)
  • 8th in passing tds
  • 11th worst in ints (heavily impacted by the flukey ones in pittsburgh we'll see if that evens out or whether it continues)
  • 10th in yards/attempt
  • 11th in adjusted yards/attempt
  • 9th in yards/completion
  • 13th in rating
  • 6th in QBR
  • tied-6th in sacks (ironically with russell wilson - again another stat that's a bit disappointing but not unexpected given his style of play - mobile qbs take more sacks by trying to stay in the pocket longer - deshaun watson is 5th in this category, russell wilson is equal 6th, kyler murray is 4th

but here are some of the advanced stats that might dissuade people from explaining away the above stats as meaningless

• 12th in air yds
  • 10th in air yds/completion
  • 11th in air yds/attempt
  • 6th in average depth of target
  • 15th in YAC
  • 19th in YAC/completion
  • 34th in qb hits
  • 9th in times blitzed
  • 2nd in scrambles
  • 9th in yds/scramble
and on top of all this he's on target despite the slightly lower passing yardage total this week for over 4000yds passing with 30 tds and 1200 yds rushing with 5-6 tds

suggests to me that people who are complaining about him not passing to receivers down the field need to start criticising 25 starting qbs in the league

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Sorry sir. I wouldn't dare to be the least bit critical of your baby Jackson again.

Ok, let's see if that gets an "official warning".

I am looking at the last couple of pages in this thread and can't make any sense of what is going on and why are people talking to themselves.
Then I remembered! I am ignoring your ass and obviously for a reason.

Back to the hole with you.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
in this game missing his most explosive receiver he still had 7.15 yds/a which is around the league average over the season
for the season he's currently 10th in the league in this stat (a pretty useful one which takes into account both accuracy and downfield attempts)

as a pure passer lamar's in the top 15 and mostly around the top 10 in almost all useful qb metrics:

• 12th in pure yds
  • 15th in completion% : 65%(he's only that low because he was around 50% in that one game against the chiefs - he'd be 8th at nearly 70% if that chiefs game gets wiped from the record)
  • 8th in passing tds
  • 11th worst in ints (heavily impacted by the flukey ones in pittsburgh we'll see if that evens out or whether it continues)
  • 10th in yards/attempt
  • 11th in adjusted yards/attempt
  • 9th in yards/completion
  • 13th in rating
  • 6th in QBR
  • tied-6th in sacks (ironically with russell wilson - again another stat that's a bit disappointing but not unexpected given his style of play - mobile qbs take more sacks by trying to stay in the pocket longer - deshaun watson is 5th in this category, russell wilson is equal 6th, kyler murray is 4th

but here are some of the advanced stats that might dissuade people from explaining away the above stats as meaningless

• 12th in air yds
  • 10th in air yds/completion
  • 11th in air yds/attempt
  • 6th in average depth of target
  • 15th in YAC
  • 19th in YAC/completion
  • 34th in qb hits
  • 9th in times blitzed
  • 2nd in scrambles
  • 9th in yds/scramble
and on top of all this he's on target despite the slightly lower passing yardage total this week for over 4000yds passing with 30 tds and 1200 yds rushing with 5-6 tds

suggests to me that people who are complaining about him not passing to receivers down the field need to start criticising 25 starting qbs in the league
You could have said that in shorter form - ELITE.