• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JAAM

Hall of Famer
It’s such a breath of fresh air watching Lamar escape the pocket with ease before he gets sacked. Joe was such a statue back there. Having Lamar extend plays with his legs has been huge for us.

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
It’s such a breath of fresh air watching Lamar escape the pocket with ease before he gets sacked. Joe was such a statue back there. Having Lamar extend plays with his legs has been huge for us.
Joe used to extend plays! lol For a traditional tall pocket QB Joe was mobile enough to rollout and extend plays.

I would rather have a QB with better situational pocket awareness who is a little less mobile, than the opposite. Go watch the mile high miracle play in Denver, Flacco felt the blitz quickly stepped up in the pocket to avoid pressure and hit Jacoby on a 70yard bomb and the rest was history.

I know Lamar is a freak athlete but he has done absolutely zero to prove he can be a functional passing QB in this league, and our coaches and coordinators know that. Which is why they refuse to design extensive passing plays, deep shots down field, and so far I haven't seen Lamar look to audible a the line or change things up pre snap.

I'm by far not a Lamar Jackson hater, he has plenty of time to develop into a better passer, but you would think that would take some priority after a year like last year where we put up one of the historically worst offensive/passing performances in playoff history.

Great having a QB with 4.3 speed and Barry Sander jukes, but running only gets you so far. He is young though, I'll give him that. Just don't want to see this guy go the way so many other 1trick pony mobile QBs go.

Last edited:
Fun fact.

Joe Flaccos average regular season passing yards per game = 235
Lamars average passing yards in 2019 = 254

He can definitely improve, but let's not pretend he hasn't improved.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Joe used to extend plays! lol For a traditional tall pocket QB Joe was mobile enough to rollout and extend plays.

I would rather have a QB with better situational pocket awareness who is a little less mobile, than the opposite. Go watch the mile high miracle play in Denver, Flacco felt the blitz quickly stepped up in the pocket to avoid pressure and hit Jacoby on a 70yard bomb and the rest was history.

I know Lamar is a freak athlete but he has done absolutely zero to prove he can be a functional passing QB in this league, and our coaches and coordinators know that. Which is why they refuse to design extensive passing plays, deep shots down field, and so far I haven't seen Lamar look to audible a the line or change things up pre snap.

I'm by far not a Lamar Jackson hater, he has plenty of time to develop into a better passer, but you would think that would take some priority after a year like last year where we put up one of the historically worst offensive/passing performances in playoff history.

Great having a QB with 4.3 speed and Barry Sander jukes, but running only gets you so far. He is young though, I'll give him that. Just don't want to see this guy go the way so many other 1trick pony mobile QBs go.

Sure buddy... Flacco had GREAT pocket awareness.

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
Fun fact.

Joe Flaccos average regular season passing yards per game = 235
Lamars average passing yards in 2019 = 254

He can definitely improve, but let's not pretend he hasn't improved.
Probably because of how run dominant we were during Flaccos time, we were always a run first team and had to fire Cam Cameron due to him running the ball too much and not committing to the pass nearly at all. Once we had Jim Caldwell who designed a more uptempo offense, no huddle and let Flacco do his thing, it was a more balanced offense that helped us win a super bowl. Lamar Jackson has played 5 games this season one of which he dropped a lot of his yards 324yards against the worst team in football. Versus Flacco's years and years of regular season stats where again we were always run heavy, 5 games for Lamar, versus Flacco's hundreds of games so that's not a fair comparison. Yes Lamar still has room to grow but when you break down his mechanics throwing flat footed/untraditional style that they tried to fix at Louisville...he has a lot of improving to do as a passer.
Sure buddy... Flacco had GREAT pocket awareness.
You must have missed our super bowl run the one where Flacco was in the same conversation as Joe Montana for how mistake free he played Typical fair weather fan, same ones who wanted to start Tyrod Taylor over Flacco back in the day

Flacco was not perfect, one of the most hated, and disrespected QBs in NFL history for being "mediocre". There were times where it felt that was the case. But you can't deny a guy who bet on himself in a contract year and won a frickin super bowl MVP, and did it with his arm and when he was finally able to have more independence as a QB. He did have good pocket awareness and again I will point to the mile high miracle throw to Jacoby. Flacco got pressured but stayed cool and strong in the pocket and made the throw of his career.

Last edited:

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Probably because of how run dominant we were during Flaccos time, we were always a run first team and had to fire Cam Cameron due to him running the ball too much and not committing to the pass nearly at all. Once we had Jim Caldwell who designed a more uptempo offense, no huddle and let Flacco do his thing, it was a more balanced offense that helped us win a super bowl. Lamar Jackson has played 5 games this season one of which he dropped a lot of his yards 324yards against the worst team in football. Versus Flacco's years and years of regular season stats where again we were always run heavy, 5 games for Lamar, versus Flacco's hundreds of games so that's not a fair comparison. Yes Lamar still has room to grow but when you break down his mechanics throwing flat footed/untraditional style that they tried to fix at Louisville...he has a lot of improving to do as a passer.

You must have missed our super bowl run the one where Flacco was in the same conversation as Joe Montana for how mistake free he played Typical fair weather fan, same ones who wanted to start Tyrod Taylor over Flacco back in the day

Flacco was not perfect, one of the most hated, and disrespected QBs in NFL history for being "mediocre". There were times where it felt that was the case. But you can't deny a guy who bet on himself in a contract year and won a frickin super bowl MVP, and did it with his arm and when he was finally able to have more independence as a QB. He did have good pocket awareness and again I will point to the mile high miracle throw to Jacoby. Flacco got pressured but stayed cool and strong in the pocket and made the throw of his career.

You point to one play during an insane playoff run to judge a man's career? Cool. Flaccos pocket awareness sucked as a whole. Don't care if you agree because I've seen him play enough. You point to mile high and I can show you 20 more times he stood back there where a db could have been holding a sign saying he's blitzing and would completely ignore it... Or times he just stood there when the clock should have expired in his head and gotten rid of the ball just to fumble. But live in whatever fantasy world you choose to. I really don't even want to have this discussion cause he's gone but this take is just stupid and it's real clear what your motive is.

David Rockefeller

Practice Squad

Combined record of the team's the Ravens have beaten, 4-18-1.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I just realized this guy said we were a run dominant team during the Flacco era like that's changed. You guys...

You all must miss those 29 of 52 for 267 yards 1 td and 1 int powerhouse performances. Nothing like watching the offense stall out until the last 5 minutes of a game just to have hope and lose. Great times.

But continue...

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I just realized this guy said we were a run dominant team during the Flacco era like that's changed. You guys...

You all must miss those 29 of 52 for 267 yards 1 td and 1 int powerhouse performances. Nothing like watching the offense stall out until the last 5 minutes of a game just to have hope and lose. Great times.

But continue...
150-200 yards and 1 touchdown to 1 pick was always the norm for Joe lol

Of course a great day on the ground for Lamar will bring out the 1 trick pony commentary but I’d rather see him abandon the pocket and pick up 15 and a first than stand in the pocket forever and take a sack to try and prove his doubters wrong like he did several times in Pittsburgh.

Our oline has received among the highest grades in the league in pass pro but were at the bottom of the league in sacks. Lamar needs to be himself rather than what his doubters think he should be. When time is up and you still have an opening please Lamar by all means take off.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

Man just let it go! I understand the separation anxiety you must feel but seriously we all know who Flacco was, is and will continue to be. I'm just so glad that the football God gave us Lamar Jackson and for that I'm eternally grateful. We were a run first offense with Flacco but we aren't now under Lamar? Dude are you serious?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Of course a great day on the ground for Lamar will bring out the 1 trick pony commentary but I’d rather see him abandon the pocket and pick up 15 and a first than stand in the pocket forever and take a sack to try and prove his doubters wrong like he did several times in Pittsburgh.

Our oline has received among the highest grades in the league in pass pro but were at the bottom of the league in sacks. Lamar needs to be himself rather than what his doubters think he should be. When time is up and you still have an opening please Lamar by all means take off.
I don’t even care about that narrative anymore. It’ll probably be with him after this season if he throws for over 4,000 and the rest of his career by fat couch QBs that have never touched a football. If he has running lanes, by all means, take off and show those Madden jukes.

David Rockefeller

Practice Squad
Man just let it go! I understand the separation anxiety you must feel but seriously we all know who Flacco was, is and will continue to be. I'm just so glad that the football God gave us Lamar Jackson and for that I'm eternally grateful. We were a run first offense with Flacco but we aren't now under Lamar? Dude are you serious?
Look, USC would be 4-2 with the schedule thus far. Lets see how the next month or so goes.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

David Rockefeller

Practice Squad
I have a pretty good idea how the next month goes. The question is would you just disappear again if Lamar turns in good performances and we win?
As long as they win I don't care who the QB is. I don't worship athletes, I simply admire their abilities understanding they are also flawed human beings. Happy?