• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I sill can't figure out how he didn't repeat on Heisman as a sophomore when he literally doubled his stats. That was some major rigging.
Because some ESPN chumps wanted a half baked Baker to get it despite not even being close to Lamar's accomplishments. They didn't want him to hoist the Heisman twice but didn't think twice to let Tebow hoist it twice. There are so many elements of bigotry in the sports world still and its indisputable.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
EJG6hZ-X0AsJMeu

Eric Mangini looking seriously pissed

Bart finished with the comment - "take that Bill Polian", but at least Bill as of the NE game admitted he was wrong. Doesn't sound like Mangini is willing to go there, yet. As predicted, he discounted his performance yesterday because of Bengals sorry D. I loved the counter comment ... yes, Bengals D is bad, but Lamar is the kind of QB that can make a D like that look historically bad. Also that fact that same dude said, "the only people that don't have Lamar in their top 5 MVP list are people who predicted his failures and cannot admit they were wrong (and he's sitting across a desk from one right there)

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I fully understand the critiques that followed his college career with respect to the technical aspects. The narrow base, flat-footed attempts, sailed throws derived from the mechanical rawness. But what I cannot for the life of me understand is how it was questioned that he could even become a functional passer. I've always been intrigued into what those assessments were looking at. Me personally, I thought that his upside was at least that of a solid passer. His tape against Purdue sold me on that. It begun poorly with a sail on the nine route. But it was then littered with promising throws. There was a play right before the end of the first half where he scrambled, pump faked, scrambled to the sideline, and instead of taking the alley upfield, he squared his shoulders and threw a pass that traveled 30 yards to his TE Micky Crum that caught him in stride, in bounds, and landed just above the outstretched hands of the defender. It ended up as an incompletion, but that thing was on a rope. And it was far from the only throw to showcase the upside.

And that's where my issue lies. I'm merely referring to upside, potential. Was I worried about his floor? Yes. And that's coming from someone who took him in the 1st round of the FM. I thought that he needed polish to reach his upside. But I also thought that his concerns in that aspects were from the waist down. Far easier to fix than going from the waist up. I am very much relieved to not have quietly overblown what he could be. But I will perpetually struggle to comprehend why so many didn't even see the possibility of him being at least just a capable passer.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I fully understand the critiques that followed his college career with respect to the technical aspects. The narrow base, flat-footed attempts, sailed throws derived from the mechanical rawness. But what I cannot for the life of me understand is how it was questioned that he could even become a functional passer. I've always been intrigued into what those assessments were looking at. Me personally, I thought that his upside was at least that of a solid passer. His tape against Purdue sold me on that. It begun poorly with a sail on the nine route. But it was then littered with promising throws. There was a play right before the end of the first half where he scrambled, pump faked, scrambled to the sideline, and instead of taking the alley upfield, he squared his shoulders and threw a pass that traveled 30 yards to his TE Micky Crum that caught him in stride, in bounds, and landed just above the outstretched hands of the defender. It ended up as an incompletion, but that thing was on a rope. And it was far from the only throw to showcase the upside.

And that's where my issue lies. I'm merely referring to upside, potential. Was I worried about his floor? Yes. And that's coming from someone who took him in the 1st round of the FM. I thought that he needed polish to reach his upside. But I also thought that his concerns in that aspects were from the waist down. Far easier to fix than going from the waist up. I am very much relieved to not have quietly overblown what he could be. But I will perpetually struggle to comprehend why so many didn't even see the possibility of him being at least just a capable passer.
I believe too many were set in their ways, like Polin who asked him to work out as a WR and didn't feel he could be a QB. He was only considering pocket passer and to be honest, he is a pocket passer, a pocket passer with the ability to use his feet. Then you have the lazy media who only spouts out what others are saying without doing the research. You also have the football fans that don't know any better and believe everything they read and hear from the media.

Anyway, it all goes back to lazy scouting...

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am having a fun conversation on the Browns forum about Baker vs Lamar

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Love Lamar. I can't put him ahead of Russell. That team would probably be a bottom 6 or 7(bottom 4 any other year) team if not for him. We're not perfect, but a much better situation than Russ is in. If it wasn't for him, I'd definitely say Lamar is running away with it.

What do you think we would be without Lamar? Lol

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
You will probably get banned. I got banned from the Steelers forum.

I am not poking fun or being disrespectful. I am just pointing out the facts. one of them is trying to convince me that Baker has a harder time because of complex offensive schemes in a pass happy offense and that Lamar is successful because his legs take him out of the pocket (which by the way, is misleading, most of his throws are from the pocket. Also note this, Baker has thrown more passes from outside the pocket than Lamar.)

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

You know why, the answer is, sadly very obvious.