• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I am not poking fun or being disrespectful. I am just pointing out the facts. one of them is trying to convince me that Baker has a harder time because of complex offensive schemes in a pass happy offense and that Lamar is successful because his legs take him out of the pocket (which by the way, is misleading, most of his throws are from the pocket. Also note this, Baker has thrown more passes from outside the pocket than Lamar.)
Yeah, he's jumpy like that. Scared of big men intending to hit him because he knows he's slow.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Love Lamar. I can't put him ahead of Russell. That team would probably be a bottom 6 or 7(bottom 4 any other year) team if not for him. We're not perfect, but a much better situation than Russ is in. If it wasn't for him, I'd definitely say Lamar is running away with it.
Respectfully disagree with you. Lamar has done more to get his team to where they are than Russell Wilson has.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Baldy's Breakdown

Baldy is so funny in this breakdown. Love his breakdowns

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I fully understand the critiques that followed his college career with respect to the technical aspects. The narrow base, flat-footed attempts, sailed throws derived from the mechanical rawness. But what I cannot for the life of me understand is how it was questioned that he could even become a functional passer. I've always been intrigued into what those assessments were looking at. Me personally, I thought that his upside was at least that of a solid passer. His tape against Purdue sold me on that. It begun poorly with a sail on the nine route. But it was then littered with promising throws. There was a play right before the end of the first half where he scrambled, pump faked, scrambled to the sideline, and instead of taking the alley upfield, he squared his shoulders and threw a pass that traveled 30 yards to his TE Micky Crum that caught him in stride, in bounds, and landed just above the outstretched hands of the defender. It ended up as an incompletion, but that thing was on a rope. And it was far from the only throw to showcase the upside.

And that's where my issue lies. I'm merely referring to upside, potential. Was I worried about his floor? Yes. And that's coming from someone who took him in the 1st round of the FM. I thought that he needed polish to reach his upside. But I also thought that his concerns in that aspects were from the waist down. Far easier to fix than going from the waist up. I am very much relieved to not have quietly overblown what he could be. But I will perpetually struggle to comprehend why so many didn't even see the possibility of him being at least just a capable passer.

i started off skeptical mostly because i wasnt 100% sure we were getting a qb but i was 100% sure we werent getting any of the other 4 guys with our first pick (and if Allen had dropped i didnt want him anyway) but with every game i saw things that got me buying in more and more and i realised that i wasnt worried about anything athletic or mechanical with him - his arm strength was good, when he threw on the run his mechanics were sound so there was a clear pathway to better mechanics as a passer in the pocket too and that made me more comfortable with him - but the 2 traits that made me fall in love with him as a prospect:

1) the way he moved in the pocket was magical with that poise and efficient movements - always looking smooth and in control
2) the way he read the field from inside the pocket hi-low in a pro-style passing game in a scheme that relied on him to make decisions and understand and manipulate what the defence was giving him

and having had flacco as the only ravens qb ive ever known those 2 things had me falling for lamar more and more as a prospect - i was heart-broken when i thought we'd passed on him at 25 for Hurst, and when we traded back in at 32 I literally couldn't believe we'd done something so bold

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I remember when I first signed up, recently, they asked for money but I never gave my info. I think it was for some VIP shit.

I don't pay though.
I don't know how you do it (try to reason with stupid motherfuckers I mean).
I only have a patience for Steelers fans, their team earned them right to be stupid.
Seahawks board is good.
But these idiot Clowns fans are just unbearable.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know how you do it (try to reason with stupid motherfuckers I mean).
I only have a patience for Steelers fans, their team earned them right to be stupid.
Seahawks board is good.
But these idiot Clowns fans are just unbearable.

they are fighting each other in this one thread about drafting Lamar over Baker and what a mistake that was not doing so.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
EJG6hZ-X0AsJMeu
Soooooo.....I wonder what his score was against the Dolphins this season.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I took my wife to lunch at Jason's Deli today. We ran into a Steelers fan and his wife as well. Then that cat said to me; "Hey man! Y'all need to stop running that QB before he gets hurt!" Then I replied; "Really? Naw! That's what ALL OF Y'ALL WANT US TO DO BECAUSE Y'ALL CAN'T STOP HIM OR OUR OFFENSE! We're not going to do your jobs for you-PICK YOUR POISON! YOU STOP IT!"

His wife (a Cowboys fan) laughed and then said; "They aren't ready for y'all. That Steelers win yesterday just took him off of suicide watch!"

Then that cat said; "Hey man! I really love y'all QB!" Then I said; "OF COURSE YOU DO!"

Then, I rolled out representing the rest of my CATS ("THE FLOCK") like a boss!

np3kjTX.jpg

rossihunter2

Staff Member
For the peace of the board I'll leave this alone.

I think our current team is better than the Seahawks if you simply take away the qbs. I think you grab random qb off any team they would rather play on ours. We have a better roster.

the way i look at it though is what happens when you take the player out of the team - if russell wilson gets taken away from the seahawks they get a lot worse yes but they also can still run the same offence and the same defence and the same style of football just at a lower level - if lamar jackson gets taken out of this ravens team the offence literally doesnt function the same at all because there is no one else in the league with the skillset that lamar jackson brings to this offence and to the scheme here and we also lose the ability to play ball control so our defence plays more snaps and we saw what that does to the defence pre-bye last year (with possibly the best ravens defence in a decade) - they were gassed all the time when good offences kept them on the field - lamar structurally changes how we can play football and the team doesnt function without him - russell is a great player but their team still functions if he's not there

redrum52

Hall of Famer
the way i look at it though is what happens when you take the player out of the team - if russell wilson gets taken away from the seahawks they get a lot worse yes but they also can still run the same offence and the same defence and the same style of football just at a lower level - if lamar jackson gets taken out of this ravens team the offence literally doesnt function the same at all because there is no one else in the league with the skillset that lamar jackson brings to this offence and to the scheme here and we also lose the ability to play ball control so our defence plays more snaps and we saw what that does to the defence pre-bye last year (with possibly the best ravens defence in a decade) - they were gassed all the time when good offences kept them on the field - lamar structurally changes how we can play football and the team doesnt function without him - russell is a great player but their team still functions if he's not there

I get what you're saying and disagree. You can't just put any qb behind that line and have that offense function and their defense is terrible. I know how much Lamar does for this team, but I don't think people really grasp how bad that Seahawks team would be if Russell wasn't there. Here's my question. Pretend both teams play the same schedule, which team do you think would finish with a better record?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think baker is just having a bad year.he has potential just looking like shit this year

they also need an offensive analyst because their personnel this year has all been wrong for their success and part of that is down to the njoku injury but they really should have been playing a lot less 11 personnel even with their wr group

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Respectfully disagree with you. Lamar has done more to get his team to where they are than Russell Wilson has.
Its a tough one.. Russ has been a top qb his whole career and it seems like he hasnt gotten his respect till this season. He has always been better than luck and if you take him off that team they would be terrible. Its a good debate though between him and lamar but right now id give it to russ