• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Two NFC Asst Coaches who spoke on anonymously don't think it is possible to stop LJ a the level he is currently playing

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...o-to-try-to-stop-lamar-jackson-and-the-ravens
One coach said he's seen defenses throw all kinds of mixed coverages at Jackson, and assorted blitz packages, and Jackson "eats them for breakfast."

"He's an exceptionally quick thinker," the coach said.

This is a huge reason Jackson has been so successful throwing the football. It's not just the accuracy; it's digesting how the defense is attacking him and acting accordingly.

Hang on a bit - what happened with his Wonderlic?

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I remember an interview he did with Mayock at this pro day. Mayock asked him about different game scenarios and Jackson told him what play he'd run, the protection and the area he'd attack. From that moment on I knew Jackson had football smarts.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Two NFC Asst Coaches who spoke on anonymously don't think it is possible to stop LJ a the level he is currently playing

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...o-to-try-to-stop-lamar-jackson-and-the-ravens
that reading the field part is what made me think he was an intriguing prospect and a legitimate qb to begin with. the way he stood in the pocket and would read all of his progressions from high to low and throw based off of what the defense gave him, was his biggest indicator as a passer. idk why any of this surprises anyone

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
that reading the field part is what made me think he was an intriguing prospect and a legitimate qb to begin with. the way he stood in the pocket and would read all of his progressions from high to low and throw based off of what the defense gave him, was his biggest indicator as a passer. idk why any of this surprises anyone
I saw these attributes as well and always scoffed at people who would call him a run first quarterback. That being said, seeing his transformation right in front of my eyes and so quickly is just insane. He sees the field as good if not better than any young QB in the game today.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I saw these attributes as well and always scoffed at people who would call him a run first quarterback. That being said, seeing his transformation right in front of my eyes and so quickly is just insane. He sees the field as good if not better than any young QB in the game today.

Tbh I didn't think he was gonna progress this fast as a passer but he was my 2nd ranked QB in the draft. He's always loved his TE's first and foremost and Roman is genius on the way a great scheme for Lamar. It wouldn't shock me after Lamar gets his 2nd contract and becomes more of a pocket passer and a damn good one at that ala Steve McNair.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Earlier in the week there was an article on how the Ravens kept it a secret that they liked Lamar Jackson and didn't want other teams to know that they had him on the draft board. I accidentally came across this on twitter this morning.

✔@JohnKryk

#Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome on #Louisville QB Lamar Jackson: “I don’t know what other teams think about him but on our board he’s a quarterback.”
10:51 AM - Mar 2, 2018
I read that. Pretty interesting that Ozzie and EDC kept it a secret and nobody else including coaches even had a clue about it! That tells me that the draft is basically up to EDC and Ozzie. John may have input but is not a decision maker or huge influencer with draft decisions. Thank goodness we got him. I shudder to think what would've happened had we lost him to another team like the Steelers!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I read that. Pretty interesting that Ozzie and EDC kept it a secret and nobody else including coaches even had a clue about it! That tells me that the draft is basically up to EDC and Ozzie. John may have input but is not a decision maker or huge influencer with draft decisions. Thank goodness we got him. I shudder to think what would've happened had we lost him to another team like the Steelers!
Yeah, I was worried about the Steelers drafting him once we traded down, but the team I was worried the most about were the Patriots, because they had two first round picks and their were rumors that McDaniels really liked Lamar Jackson, plus the Patriots run an updated version of the Erhardt-Perkins scheme, with spread, which is the same system LJ used in college.

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, I was worried about the Steelers drafting him once we traded down, but the team I was worried the most about were the Patriots, because they had two first round picks and there were rumors that McDaniels really liked Lamar Jackson, plus the Patriots run an updated version of the Erhardt-Perkins scheme, with spread, which is the same system LJ used in college.

My God, that scenario is right now playing out in an alternate universe and the collective football world is MISERABLE! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I was worried about the Steelers drafting him once we traded down, but the team I was worried the most about were the Patriots, because they had two first round picks and their were rumors that McDaniels really liked Lamar Jackson, plus the Patriots run an updated version of the Erhardt-Perkins scheme, with spread, which is the same system LJ used in college.
Which is why some wondered if we really rated him that highly. If there were concerns that the Pats or Steelers would take him, then why did we not take him at 22 (after our first trade back, which was one pick before NE and several picks before PIT)?

Perhaps the Ravens heard the rumors of Daniel's interest in him, but didn't buy it? In any case, thank goodness they didn't pick him and thank goodness we felt he was worth jumping back to the 1st round to get him. Time will tell, but this has the potential to change our team's fortunes for the next decade.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Which is why some wondered if we really rated him that highly. If there were concerns that the Pats or Steelers would take him, then why did we not take him at 22 (after our first trade back, which was one pick before NE and several picks before PIT)?

Perhaps the Ravens heard the rumors of Daniel's interest in him, but didn't buy it? In any case, thank goodness they didn't pick him and thank goodness we felt he was worth jumping back to the 1st round to get him. Time will tell, but this has the potential to change our team's fortunes for the next decade.
yeah, at this point, it certainly seemed like it was a big risk not to take him at 22 or even 16.

The impressive numbers that get posted about Jackson are seemingly endless. I think there will be more when we get to see comparisons on a first full season. He may not compare quite as well as he does to the great RBs when counting his 1st 16 games (because his rushing #s last year were stupid) but his passer rating will be something to see compared to the great passers in recent history. He's at 106.3 right now.

Once this year is complete, if he continues on this trajectory, the evidence will be crystal clear that he is not only an amazing runner, but that he has all the skills needed to be a successful QB in this league. It will be impossible for the clowns who predicted his failure and whose tiny brains are unable to acknowledge what their eyes tell them, to deny that the dude is legit.

All they will able to do is continue to predict he will take a hit that will end his career, which is a stance they may try to hold for years. All the while, these scumbags will be hoping the most electrifying player in the game will get injured and no longer be able to play, simply so they can say "I told you so".

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, I was worried about the Steelers drafting him once we traded down, but the team I was worried the most about were the Patriots, because they had two first round picks and there were rumors that McDaniels really liked Lamar Jackson, plus the Patriots run an updated version of the Erhardt-Perkins scheme, with spread, which is the same system LJ used in college.
You said too many smart things there but yes Patriots were a potential landing spot! laugh out loud!

rossihunter2

Staff Member

in the offseason there was also an athletic article about how lamar ended up a raven and it was interesting how we weren't even looking for qbs and it ironically came from a recent hire in the scouting department to open our eyes to lamar - like the scout in meetings was kind of like i know this isnt what we're looking for but i believe this strongly and basically forced the front office to take a second look - from that same article i vaguely remember them talking about how we were only interested in 2 qbs - baker mayfield but we knew we didnt have a shot at him and lamar jackson - but i just found it interesting that the whole process didnt even start from the top - started from a random area scout seeing a player so good that it changed his entire opinion of the franchise etc. that it forced him to go out on a limb