• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I mean... it’s jason Whitlock who I don’t want to be sharing opinions with... but the Steve young comp is one I pointed out just last week. I see so much more Steve young in Lamar than I see Vick. I think being a fast black qb is where the comparisons start and stop with Lamar and Vick and I’m SIIIICCCCKKK of hearing it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

I mean... it’s jason Whitlock who I don’t want to be sharing opinions with... but the Steve young comp is one I pointed out just last week. I see so much more Steve young in Lamar than I see Vick. I think being a fast black qb is where the comparisons start and stop with Lamar and Vick and I’m SIIIICCCCKKK of hearing it.

it's why its so bizarre how much steve young doesnt like lamar

purp

Practice Squad

Funny how the take artists are getting tired of making asses out of themselves. The only holdouts left are Mangini and Travis.

Mangini is butthurt about Lamar beating Belichick and he’s an egomaniac. Travis is just trying to score political points with conservatives by using Lamar as a dog whistle.

Good to see Whitlock come around these past few weeks. Young is a good comparison except that when it’s all said and done we might be calling Young and poor man’s Lamar.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I didn’t even know that. Guess young sees a threat to his legacy.

I’m so far off of the Vick-Lamar comparisons that I just get annoyed when I see it now, like I honestly, truly, do not see any similarities, I always leaned more Russell Wilson but with a RB ability once he breaks the LOS, but after some searching the guy closest to that description to me was Steve young. I think it’s a spot on comparison.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Vick is a lazy comparison and I have been saying that since the draft process. I also had mentioned the Steve Young comparison last season and completely agreed with it when you brought it up.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I can’t help but laugh when I see fat-couch QBs on social media criticizing Lamar about him throwing 15-20 times a game as if he needs to be throwing it 40 times to be a good QB hahahaha. They more than likely never even watch his games. Apparently he’s a “noodle arm QB that never throws it past 30 yards” lmao. I just want to smack them through the screen.

/rant

purp

Practice Squad
I can’t help but laugh when I see fat-couch QBs on social media criticizing Lamar about him throwing 15-20 times a game as if he needs to be throwing it 40 times to be a good QB hahahaha. They more than likely never even watch his games. Apparently he’s a “noodle arm QB that never throws it past 30 yards” lmao. I just want to smack them through the screen.

/rant

If you think about it, we’re playing football as close to the way it was meant to be played since it was invented.

Football is about controlling and advancing the ball. In an ideal world, you would run for 2.5 yards every down and score a touchdown on every drive. The only reason passing even exists is because that’s very hard to do when you’re playing against a defense so you need higher risk/reward plays (passes) to equalize/advantage your game.

It is nearly impossible to have a positive expected points per play average on running plays, as stated by FilmStudy on the most recent Defensive pod.

Now, most people do not have time or capacity for football theory, they just know what they’ve seen win over their lifetimes. From that perspective, it really shouldn’t be possible to throw for less than 200 yards on 20 attempts and score 5 passing touchdowns. In fact, you shouldn’t be able to win at all with that kind of stat line from your QB1.

That’s what makes Harbs/Roman so special/ahead of the league. They went beyond systems and broke football all the way down to the theory and asked themselves “What would an offense look like if we the QB did everything he’s allowed to do, rather than assuming it needs to be one or the other?” From there they built a system and got the prototypical QB for the system and the result is what we’re seeing.

Personally, I love the post-hoc rationalizations we’re seeing from other fans and football analysts. The longer they focus on what we shouldn’t be able to do, the longer they will be unprepared to devise ways to stop it.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
If you think about it, we’re playing football as close to the way it was meant to be played since it was invented.

Football is about controlling and advancing the ball. In an ideal world, you would run for 2.5 yards every down and score a touchdown on every drive. The only reason passing even exists is because that’s very hard to do when you’re playing against a defense so you need higher risk/reward plays (passes) to equalize/advantage your game.

It is nearly impossible to have a positive expected points per play average on running plays, as stated by FilmStudy on the most recent Defensive pod.

Now, most people do not have time or capacity for football theory, they just know what they’ve seen win over their lifetimes. From that perspective, it really shouldn’t be possible to throw for less than 200 yards on 20 attempts and score 5 passing touchdowns. In fact, you shouldn’t be able to win at all with that kind of stat line from your QB1.

That’s what makes Harbs/Roman so special/ahead of the league. They went beyond systems and broke football all the way down to the theory and asked themselves “What would an offense look like if we the QB did everything he’s allowed to do, rather than assuming it needs to be one or the other?” From there they built a system and got the prototypical QB for the system and the result is what we’re seeing.

Personally, I love the post-hoc rationalizations we’re seeing from other fans and football analysts. The longer they focus on what we shouldn’t be able to do, the longer they will be unprepared to devise ways to stop it.
So Lamar is single handedly bringing us full circle then! Awesome

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

Efficiency. That's the key word.
When you can run entire game (at Rams) making positive yards on every play - literally EVERY play, there was no single negative play when we ran - you:

1. Eat a lot of time
2. Physically destroy the D that doesn't get almost any rest
3. Shorten the field so much for the passing game that you really don't have an opportunity to throw much more than 20 times
4. Opposing offense is chasing the score from the start and has to take a lot of risk, much easier to defend
5. Rinse and repeat

We increased our scoring efficiency rate to 56% of our drives. That's the most in last 80 (!!!) years. It is astonishing to watch the Ravens not just winning games but regularly blowing out teams coached by top defensive minds. This should not be possible in the NFL but here we are.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor

I agree Lamar's constant comparison to Vick is actually pretty insulting to Lamar. I personally think he is a better and more athletic version of Steve Young.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I didn’t even know that. Guess young sees a threat to his legacy.

I’m so far off of the Vick-Lamar comparisons that I just get annoyed when I see it now, like I honestly, truly, do not see any similarities, I always leaned more Russell Wilson but with a RB ability once he breaks the LOS, but after some searching the guy closest to that description to me was Steve young. I think it’s a spot on comparison.
I always hoped for lamar to be more russell like

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only trouble here - there's no such point for #8.

Whether people want to accept it or not; Michael Vick "IS" the reference point for Lamar....PERIOD!!! Hating on the Vick comparisons are useless and baseless IMO because BEFORE there was EVER a Lamar Jackson; the NFL world ate up the "Michael Vick Experience". What Lamar is doing is FIRE for this generation of players but Vick was a BEAST! And that will NEVER EVER be taking away from that man!

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Whether people want to accept it or not; Michael Vick "IS" the reference point for Lamar....PERIOD!!! Hating on the Vick comparisons are useless and baseless IMO because BEFORE there was EVER a Lamar Jackson; the NFL world ate up the "Michael Vick Experience". What Lamar is doing is FIRE for this generation of players but Vick was a BEAST! And that will NEVER EVER be taking away from that man!

Quintessential Vick and Taylor fan! Kudos Mili!

Tank

Hall of Famer

This...... To continue with an obvious thought, if a defense isn't able to assume pass or run the higher the success rate and efficiency of both/either is exponentially higher. If that uncertainty can be maintained and both phases are executed well, the offense can be pretty much unstoppable.

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

I was a big fan of vick like most of us.. had the cleets, shoes and nike outfits lol.. any black athletic qb will always be compared to vick. Back when i was really hard on lamar in college, i still thought he was a better runner than vick. Lamar really bringing that little lg, throw back tackle football to the nfl

Last edited: