• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Sometimes, it's interesting to hear perspectives from fans of other teams. After the game was over, my dad, who's a Niners fan, basically said this: he's rooting for the brotha as he believes he'll continue to improve as a passer. HOWEVER, he's very concerned about the number of times he takes off as a runner (designed runs, scrambles, whatever, etc.).

Heck, he feels that Kyler will have a longer career because Kyler seems like more of a pocket passer (his only caveat being that Kyler not suffering from a freak injury). For him (meaning my dad), how would Lamar's career be affected if he suffered a bruise knee, hip, etc. Again folks, he's not rooting for an injury but he doesn't want him to get hurt with his runs.

While I understand where's he coming from, Lamar can easily get injured in the pocket. And then there was this:

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Vick is way more comparable to rg3 than Lamar, plain and simple. Nowhere near as refined or elusive a runner, nowhere near the same pocket presence or progression ability. Lamar’s all around skill set is Steve young like. The comparison starts and stops with a fast black strong armed qb. There’s been plenty of those, none have been as refined as Lamar thus far, running and passing wise.

Vick is Rg3? Please Joey! Put some RESPECK on Vick's name man! Lol! Vick has admitted that his major problem was that he failed to study as often as he should have because of his incredible athletic ability. Lamar IS and will ALWAYS BE compared to Vick due to his athleticism, speed and escapability. Vick brought that type of game to the forefront however, Lamar's is building on and even taking that type of foundation to another level. My whole point is that cats hate on simple stuff these days like all of these Lamar comparisons to Vick and then blaming Vick for trying to stay relevant when the man is an NFL analyst from time to time. Too much hate in the world!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sometimes, it's interesting to hear perspectives from fans of other teams. After the game was over, my dad, who's a Niners fan, basically said this: he's rooting for the brotha as he believes he'll continue to improve as a passer. HOWEVER, he's very concerned about the number of times he takes off as a runner (designed runs, scrambles, whatever, etc.).

Heck, he feels that Kyler will have a longer career because Kyler seems like more of a pocket passer (his only caveat being that Kyler not suffering from a freak injury). For him (meaning my dad), how would Lamar's career be affected if he suffered a bruise knee, hip, etc. Again folks, he's not rooting for an injury but he doesn't want him to get hurt with his runs.

While I understand where's he coming from, Lamar can easily get injured in the pocket. And then there was this:

the worst hits lamar took today were in the pocket - a high one, and one down by his legs which both got called as roughing penalties

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
the worst hits lamar took today were in the pocket - a high one, and one down by his legs which both got called as roughing penalties
Its not really about the hard hits.. its about the hits in general to me. I dnt think he should be getting hit at all dang near 15x a game

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Vick is Rg3? Please Joey! Put some RESPECK on Vick's name man! Lol! Vick has admitted that his major problem was that he failed to study as often as he should have because of his incredible athletic ability. Lamar IS and will ALWAYS BE compared to Vick due to his athleticism, speed and escapability. Vick brought that type of game to the forefront however, Lamar's is building on and even taking that type of foundation to another level. My whole point is that cats hate on simple stuff these days like all of these Lamar comparisons to Vick and then blaming Vick for trying to stay relevant when the man is an NFL analyst from time to time. Too much hate in the world!
again, vick is compared to lamar because theyre fast black qbs. their styles are lightyears apart.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
again, vick is compared to lamar because theyre fast black qbs. their styles are lightyears apart.
again, I know they are black qbs but lamar is compared to vick because of their similar styles. We can give lamar his props without diminishing vick's.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
again, I know they are black qbs but lamar is compared to vick because of their similar styles. We can give lamar his props without diminishing vick's.

i think the disagreement comes because he completely disagrees with the idea that they are similar - and im not gonna lie i agree with him - i dont think they're similar at all beyond the rushing numbers in pure statistical terms

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
But the styles aren't similar, that's the whole argument.
Not running styles, not passing styles, not work ethic, not reading what's in front of their eyes.
And I'm pretty sure Lamar is 10 times more a team player.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
would need to execute it better - definitely dont want lamar taking that hit and diving like that for the pylon in that way where he's not so in control as he would be conventionally

but could see some variation in the "heisman" package
Yeah, we do stuff much safer and simpler.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
would need to execute it better - definitely dont want lamar taking that hit and diving like that for the pylon in that way where he's not so in control as he would be conventionally

but could see some variation in the "heisman" package
agree, I didn't like the hit, but we could make that a cleaner play. BTW, meant to put this in other nfl teams/week 13 thread. Oh well

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Ravens for the second week in a row, rendered a Defensive Player of the Year candidate ineffective. Nick Bosa had just one lone tackle, which is a smidge better than Aaron Donald’s assisted tackle last week.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hate this whole narrative that if Lamar gets hurt he wont be the same player. Like why is this always brought up with running QBs but not any skill position on offense.

What if McCaffrey, Barkley, Cook, Hopkins, Thomas, etc get hurt. Will they suffer and change their games???? No they get healthy and come back.

Hell some of the all time great running backs took hit after hit and they weren't much bigger than Lamar and they never got hurt but nobody asks the question if they're game has to change.

If you train your body correctly then you will be fine. That's it. End of story. I hate this narrative they put on Lamar that can go to any running back in the NFL today but it doesn't.

Otherwise everyone would be saying oh McCaffrey is gonna get hurt playing the style of football he plays and he has twice the amount of toucjes lamar does gtfo

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I hate this whole narrative that if Lamar gets hurt he wont be the same player. Like why is this always brought up with running QBs but not any skill position on offense.

What if McCaffrey, Barkley, Cook, Hopkins, Thomas, etc get hurt. Will they suffer and change their games???? No they get healthy and come back.

Hell some of the all time great running backs took hit after hit and they weren't much bigger than Lamar and they never got hurt but nobody asks the question if they're game has to change.

If you train your body correctly then you will be fine. That's it. End of story. I hate this narrative they put on Lamar that can go to any running back in the NFL today but it doesn't.

Otherwise everyone would be saying oh McCaffrey is gonna get hurt playing the style of football he plays and he has twice the amount of toucjes lamar does gtfo
I get what people are saying but thats not my problem.. my problem is that why tf are they wishing injury on him? I mean yea he needs work in the accuracy department still so i can see why people are saying that if he gets hurt he wont be as deadly which i kinda agree with while he contiues to improve but they shouldnt be wishing injury on him at all..

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

I am also annoyed with the comparison. Vick never was the thrower that Lamar is.

Last edited: