• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

purp

Practice Squad
I’m looking at Hollywood’s TD on Thursday and the more I watch it the more I think Lamar didn’t expect him to be so wide open.

It looks like he expected the corner to at least keep up a little bit so he wanted to place it where only Marquise had a shot at it

He always does that though. One thing that’s been true about Lamar since college is that he would always prefer to miss high than throw an interception.

There’s also a baked in “backyard football” aspect to our offense. Andrews, Hollywood, Roberts and Boykin are probably the best at executing it in that order.

We know Lamar is always looking for the big play and has faith in his escapabilty to extend plays. My read is that very often the scheme is to execute the route, but if the ball hasn’t come out, break to an open area.

On the play in question, I think the route was drawn up to go to the corner but Lamar saw that if Hollywood broke north-south he would be wide open. If the corner recovered, Lamar placed it where only Hollywood could get it.

I agree that Lamar didn’t expect him to be that open but he was hedging against the defender staying with Brown.

The exact same thing happened on the breakaway play to Andrews. The problem was that Andrews was tired and moved a little slower upfield than Lamar anticipated (he said as much in his presser) hence the overthrow.

We saw this same phenomenon on the hail mary to Roberts in the Chiefs game and the Boykin touchdown in the Miami game.

The scary thing is that it’s impossible to game plan for because it’s not scripted and will be executed differently every time. As the chemistry continues to improve, I would expect more breakaway TDs from this offense.

Tank

Hall of Famer
It's actually insane that Collinsfuck says he'd vote for Russ for the MVP. Lamar literally has over 1000 yards rushing which for a running back is pretty elite all the while Idk just so happens he's thrown more touch down passes than any other quarterback in the league which I'd say is pretty elite. Now let's do a little thought experiment, you know what you can't do when you're running the ball for yards, throw touchdowns. You know what you can't do when you're throwing touchdowns, rush for yards. The fact that he's been able to do what he's done is actually kind of unimaginable. Last thought that makes Collinsfuck's comment so stupid is that Lamar has blown teams out so many times that he's sat soany 4th quarters that in terms of time playing he's literally played over 1 whole game than everyone else. Imagine what he'd have if he played the whole game of every blowout. All that and he's protected the ball and has us at min 12 wins. Disgusting take imo.
No surprise he picks Russ. Collinsworth is one talking head that is a true Ravens hater. Fouts is another and their banter often has no rhyme or reason. Often you hear praise or excuses for the opponent that just don’t make sense, and relative silence when a Ravens player makes a great play or is performing well. Even though I know what they are it still pisses me off to listen to them doing our games. If radio and TV signals were synced I would certainly silence the BS.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He always does that though. One thing that’s been true about Lamar since college is that he would always prefer to miss high than throw an interception.

There’s also a baked in “backyard football” aspect to our offense. Andrews, Hollywood, Roberts and Boykin are probably the best at executing it in that order.

We know Lamar is always looking for the big play and has faith in his escapabilty to extend plays. My read is that very often the scheme is to execute the route, but if the ball hasn’t come out, break to an open area.

On the play in question, I think the route was drawn up to go to the corner but Lamar saw that if Hollywood broke north-south he would be wide open. If the corner recovered, Lamar placed it where only Hollywood could get it.

I agree that Lamar didn’t expect him to be that open but he was hedging against the defender staying with Brown.

The exact same thing happened on the breakaway play to Andrews. The problem was that Andrews was tired and moved a little slower upfield than Lamar anticipated (he said as much in his presser) hence the overthrow.

We saw this same phenomenon on the hail mary to Roberts in the Chiefs game and the Boykin touchdown in the Miami game.

The scary thing is that it’s impossible to game plan for because it’s not scripted and will be executed differently every time. As the chemistry continues to improve, I would expect more breakaway TDs from this offense.

this reminds me a lot of Russell Wilson back in their most dominant years.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
No surprise he picks Russ. Collinsworth is one talking head that is a true Ravens hater. Fouts is another and their banter often has no rhyme or reason. Often you hear praise or excuses for the opponent that just don’t make sense, and relative silence when a Ravens player makes a great play or is performing well. Even though I know what they are it still pisses me off to listen to them doing our games. If radio and TV signals were synced I would certainly silence the BS.
It's something I really don't understand. Sure it's a rival team that his Bengals play against, but he I could say the same thing about the Steelers and he seems to love the Steelers. wtf is his problem anyway.

It's something I really don't understand. Sure it's a rival team that his Bengals play against, but he I could say the same thing about the Steelers and he seems to love the Steelers. wtf is his problem anyway.
Collinsworthless is annoying. That is all.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
It's actually insane that Collinsfuck says he'd vote for Russ for the MVP. Lamar literally has over 1000 yards rushing which for a running back is pretty elite all the while Idk just so happens he's thrown more touch down passes than any other quarterback in the league which I'd say is pretty elite. Now let's do a little thought experiment, you know what you can't do when you're running the ball for yards, throw touchdowns. You know what you can't do when you're throwing touchdowns, rush for yards. The fact that he's been able to do what he's done is actually kind of unimaginable. Last thought that makes Collinsfuck's comment so stupid is that Lamar has blown teams out so many times that he's sat soany 4th quarters that in terms of time playing he's literally played over 1 whole game than everyone else. Imagine what he'd have if he played the whole game of every blowout. All that and he's protected the ball and has us at min 12 wins. Disgusting take imo.
He has to say things like that to get views. I dnt even get mad at those guys anymore

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
He has to say things like that to get views. I dnt even get mad at those guys anymore

It's not even about getting mad tbh. It's more of I just want to know if he actually thinks that and is a moron or like you said has to say something edgy for views. In this case though, I think he might be a moron

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
It's not even about getting mad tbh. It's more of I just want to know if he actually thinks that and is a moron or like you said has to say something edgy for views. In this case though, I think he might be a moron
Last season he said that darnold would be the best qb along with mahommes for the next decade lol.. like i really doubt he is serious about anything he says.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Last season he said that darnold would be the best qb along with mahommes for the next decade lol.. like i really doubt he is serious about anything he says.
someone in that position isn't going to say something like that if he doesn't believe it. I certainly can see Mahomes being one of the top QB's in the league, along with Lamar. I also have seen Sam Darnold's improvement, especially the last half a dozen games. That being said, I don't see him being one of the top QB's in the league. Many of the top QB's in the league over the next decade haven't even been drafted yet.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
someone in that position isn't going to say something like that if he doesn't believe it. I certainly can see Mahomes being one of the top QB's in the league, along with Lamar. I also have seen Sam Darnold's improvement, especially the last half a dozen games. That being said, I don't see him being one of the top QB's in the league. Many of the top QB's in the league over the next decade haven't even been drafted yet.
People in his position gotta know how to draw a crowd though. He has to say things to keep people talking, watching and listening. They even make up “ sources” just to create narravtives about players. Theyre very good at marketing but not so much at analyzing sports imo

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
People in his position gotta know how to draw a crowd though. He has to say things to keep people talking, watching and listening. They even make up “ sources” just to create narravtives about players. Theyre very good at marketing but not so much at analyzing sports imo
this is very true when you are trying to get click bait and people like J.. is constantly making up sources as he is his most unreliable source. However Collinsworth is just doing it while discussing players. He rarely says anything positive about the Ravens. He's a true hater...

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
this is very true when you are trying to get click bait and people like J.. is constantly making up sources as he is his most unreliable source. However Collinsworth is just doing it while discussing players. He rarely says anything positive about the Ravens. He's a true hater...
Tony gonzalez and stephen a ate haters also.. i remember the days when we didnt get any media cvg lol.. i miss those days

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Tony gonzalez and stephen a ate haters also.. i remember the days when we didnt get any media cvg lol.. i miss those days
Tony always has a backhanded compliment for Lamar. It’s gotten hilarious how much he doesn’t like the Ravens. Meanwhile, no wonder Terrell Owens called out SAS and said Max was blacker than him hahaha. SAS got so butt hurt over that. I loved it. Him and Molly ruin that show. I’d rather watch Uncle Shan and Skip. Those two love Lamar