• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well if you think about it as a Ravens fan and I'm sure fans of other teams do it too but some players are just known by their first names. Guys like Earl, Jimmy and Lamar. Others strictly by last name like Judon, Yanda and Stanley for instance and then some others with nicknames like B Will, Peanut and Hollywood. Its really kinda weird but they're all family.
Yea i doubt its strictly a lamar thing. Even if he never said a word people would still call him lamar or lamar jackson instead of just “ jackson”.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yea i doubt its strictly a lamar thing. Even if he never said a word people would still call him lamar or lamar jackson instead of just “ jackson”.

Yeah the three I named is what I call them and even Ray and Ed were always Ray and Ed.

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
There’s a new or much more obvious undercurrent when discussing Lamar that I don’t care for. The conversation is no longer “how do you stop Lamar Jackson”, it’s “in order to stop Lamar Jackson you have to hurt him.” It’s a pretty gross sentiment and I think it’s irresponsible for pundits and former players to discuss it as a viable strategy. They act like it’s within the framework of the sport and the game, but it really isn’t. It’s no different than actively trying to hurt players at other positions on the field. There’s solid tackling and solid hits, trying to separate the ball from the player, etc. but that’s not what they’re talking about at all. They’re talking about blowing him up regardless of whether he has the ball or not with the sole purpose of hurting him. Listen to this.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Well if you think about it as a Ravens fan and I'm sure fans of other teams do it too but some players are just known by their first names. Guys like Earl, Jimmy and Lamar. Others strictly by last name like Judon, Yanda and Stanley for instance and then some others with nicknames like B Will, Peanut and Hollywood. Its really kinda weird but they're all family.
Fans of other teams do it too but let's be honest - Tom sounds particularly cheesy.

Last edited:
There’s a new or much more obvious undercurrent when discussing Lamar that I don’t care for. The conversation is no longer “how do you stop Lamar Jackson”, it’s “in order to stop Lamar Jackson you have to hurt him.” It’s a pretty gross sentiment and I think it’s irresponsible for pundits and former players to discuss it as a viable strategy. They act like it’s within the framework of the sport and the game, but it really isn’t. It’s no different than actively trying to hurt players at other positions on the field. There’s solid tackling and solid hits, trying to separate the ball from the player, etc. but that’s not what they’re talking about at all. They’re talking about blowing him up regardless of whether he has the ball or not with the sole purpose of hurting him. Listen to this.

Yeah I don’t think there’s anything there about taking dirty shots on Lamar. Harrison wants to hurt every QB. Especially a Raven’s QB. Lol. He’s been programmed for that, but doing it within the rules is part of the game. IMO. It’s the risk that all running QB’s live with. Lamar and our coaches have made a decision that the risk is worth the reward, and I couldn’t disagree based on the results so far.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the problem with this strategy is that it takes 1 of your defenders away from the ball on every option snap - the other problem is they have to catch Lamar who does a great job of staying out of harms way on those snaps

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
Yeah I don’t think there’s anything there about taking dirty shots on Lamar. Harrison wants to hurt every QB. Especially a Raven’s QB. Lol. He’s been programmed for that, but doing it within the rules is part of the game. IMO. It’s the risk that all running QB’s live with. Lamar and our coaches have made a decision that the risk is worth the reward, and I couldn’t disagree based on the results so far.

I disagree. I’ve never heard anyone talk openly about intentionally trying to hurt someone on the football field, to make that the point, not like this. Maybe coaches say it occasionally in the locker room, I recall bountygate, and coaches can imply all sorts of things, but to openly make it your strategy to hurt someone is bullshit frankly. It’s not within the spirit of the game and this invites cheap shots and late hits. Kind of shocked anyone would agree with their take. I’m sure you’ll be back here saying it’s cool when Lamar has his leg broken without the ball on a hit 10 yards away from the play.

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
the problem with this strategy is that it takes 1 of your defenders away from the ball on every option snap - the other problem is they have to catch Lamar who does a great job of staying out of harms way on those snaps

I don’t think they care. With what Harrison was saying you don’t give a shit if you give up some tailback yardage. That’s not the point.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don’t think they care. With what Harrison was saying you don’t give a shit if you give up some tailback yardage. That’s not the point.

theyve still got to actually get to lamar and even when he hands off its not like he just stands there and waits to be hit - the steelers are the only team that have managed to succeed in that tactic but they were getting to RGIII not Lamar

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
theyve still got to actually get to lamar and even when he hands off its not like he just stands there and waits to be hit - the steelers are the only team that have managed to succeed in that tactic but they were getting to RGIII not Lamar
teams did this with RG3 in his rookie season while running read option and rpos as well.

This extract from this article I found interesting... hadn't really thought about that before but it's so true:

Many big-time quarterbacks are referred to by their last name. Brady. Brees. Some are referred to by their first and last names. Russell Wilson. Aaron Rodgers. Lamar is referred to by his first name only, as if our relationship with him is personal.

https://theathletic.com/1458214/
Wouldn't this possibly be a function of the uniqueness of his first name in comparison to his last. The others who are referenced by last name have distinct last names. Lamar is distinct - no one else who is prominent in the league with that name. Jackson is super common.

Question becomes - how long after he's let go of the ball are the refs going to let you hammer the QB? The concern is defenders just start hammering him without worrying about how clear it is that he's already let go of the ball and should not be considered a runner.

If the league just decides to allow this, that's going to be BAD. Hopefully they realize that they need to protect him like they have protected other super star QBs over the years.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Question becomes - how long after he's let go of the ball are the refs going to let you hammer the QB? The concern is defenders just start hammering him without worrying about how clear it is that he's already let go of the ball and should not be considered a runner.

If the league just decides to allow this, that's going to be BAD. Hopefully they realize that they need to protect him like they have protected other super star QBs over the years.

yeah if it gets egregious then itll get called but if its tight it wont get changed - unfortunately major rule changes only happen like that after injuries - the fear for me is that if teams do start hitting lamar late it'll only get stopped if he gets an injury

but hopefully he becomes such a superstar that the league is incentivised to put those protections in the rulebook - my guess is that if its egregious that itll get called as roughing the passer like it normally would be even if lamar's a threat to run - and im not worried about it if lamar is pretending to run because they wont catch him to hit him

Right ... the idea is to hurt our QB. Oh, they said that's not what they are trying to do ... but please, that's the goal. You could tell he wasn't concerned about whether or not the defender knew he didn't have the ball - it was the defender's right to hit him.

Sure - give up yards to the tailback, but over time, you are either going to knock the QB out of the game who is the real threat or wear him out so that they don't want to run the play any more.

Leave it to Harrison - who had been known for delivering some pretty late cheap shots - to take this approach. Especially on a QB who is on his old rivals team.

yeah if it gets egregious then itll get called but if its tight it wont get changed - unfortunately major rule changes only happen like that after injuries - the fear for me is that if teams do start hitting lamar late it'll only get stopped if he gets an injury

but hopefully he becomes such a superstar that the league is incentivised to put those protections in the rulebook - my guess is that if its egregious that itll get called as roughing the passer like it normally would be even if lamar's a threat to run - and im not worried about it if lamar is pretending to run because they wont catch him to hit him
They can make the call as "unnecessary roughness" without any rule change if they feel like the defender knows the QB no longer has the ball and still hits him. Otherwise, how is this different than whacking a QB after he hands the ball off in a normal fashion? I mean, it could be play-action, right? I thought he still had the ball ...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They can make the call as "unnecessary roughness" without any rule change if they feel like the defender knows the QB no longer has the ball and still hits him. Otherwise, how is this different than whacking a QB after he hands the ball off in a normal fashion? I mean, it could be play-action, right? I thought he still had the ball ...

yeah its not different - the same rules protect him - the only way he's not protected is if he gets hit post mesh point even if its not a zone read because they can legitimately claim he might have the ball post mesh point

but roughing the passer rules still apply for a handoff so if he clearly doesnt have the ball then that's applicable

I disagree. I’ve never heard anyone talk openly about intentionally trying to hurt someone on the football field, to make that the point, not like this. Maybe coaches say it occasionally in the locker room, I recall bountygate, and coaches can imply all sorts of things, but to openly make it your strategy to hurt someone is bullshit frankly. It’s not within the spirit of the game and this invites cheap shots and late hits. Kind of shocked anyone would agree with their take. I’m sure you’ll be back here saying it’s cool when Lamar has his leg broken without the ball on a hit 10 yards away from the play.

I think you’re overreacting, and maybe exaggerating what was said. I did not hear anywhere in that clip where he said he would hit Lamar 10 yards down the field. He compared Lamar in the RPO, to a FB who gets hit 2 yards deep on a fake handoff. Once he becomes a runner, or fake runner, he is open game to be hit by defenders who may think he has got the ball. If he drops back to pass then he is afforded the protections of a passer. What Harrison said is the reality. Bountygate is a completely different situation and properly handled bu the league.

I will never say it’s cool that our starting QB has a broken leg. That’s just a bs comment there.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
The league better intervene and let the Refs know that this may be the plan to stop Lamar - the obnoxious one that the dirty bastard Harrison proposed. If they keep hitting Lamar even after the exchange at the mesh point is complete, then there need to be suspension for those players and 15 yd penalties consistently. Even if it is inadvertent they need to be penalized. Two penalties in a game and they're out. That is the only way to protect Lamar and the NFL must make it happen... Vrabel for pretty dirty himself for Belichick so I don't believe their strategy isn't going to be similar to what Harrison proposed.