• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
There’s a new or much more obvious undercurrent when discussing Lamar that I don’t care for. The conversation is no longer “how do you stop Lamar Jackson”, it’s “in order to stop Lamar Jackson you have to hurt him.” It’s a pretty gross sentiment and I think it’s irresponsible for pundits and former players to discuss it as a viable strategy. They act like it’s within the framework of the sport and the game, but it really isn’t. It’s no different than actively trying to hurt players at other positions on the field. There’s solid tackling and solid hits, trying to separate the ball from the player, etc. but that’s not what they’re talking about at all. They’re talking about blowing him up regardless of whether he has the ball or not with the sole purpose of hurting him. Listen to this.

To be fair, this has been the universal method for basically every dual threat qb running the read option. The same was said about Kaepernick, cam, and Tebow. It’s always been something that people just spew out of their mouths without thinking about the Xs and Os and how easy it is to wreck a gameplan if you’re committing a key defender to hitting a player who isn’t holding the ball. Imagine defenders tackling Tom brady after he hands the ball off just in case it’s play action and doing that EVERY PLAY, the run game would absolutely feast by just running traps and counters

Tank

Hall of Famer
There’s a new or much more obvious undercurrent when discussing Lamar that I don’t care for. The conversation is no longer “how do you stop Lamar Jackson”, it’s “in order to stop Lamar Jackson you have to hurt him.” It’s a pretty gross sentiment and I think it’s irresponsible for pundits and former players to discuss it as a viable strategy. They act like it’s within the framework of the sport and the game, but it really isn’t. It’s no different than actively trying to hurt players at other positions on the field. There’s solid tackling and solid hits, trying to separate the ball from the player, etc. but that’s not what they’re talking about at all. They’re talking about blowing him up regardless of whether he has the ball or not with the sole purpose of hurting him. Listen to this.

Harrison is an asshole.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

I agree.. been saying it for a min.. i dnt know how these people wish that kinda shit on a player.. thats the equivalent of someone wishing they should lose their job

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Most of them dont say it directly but they all throw little jabs out there about lamar getting injured and how players should go at him

They can make the call as "unnecessary roughness" without any rule change if they feel like the defender knows the QB no longer has the ball and still hits him. Otherwise, how is this different than whacking a QB after he hands the ball off in a normal fashion? I mean, it could be play-action, right? I thought he still had the ball ...
yeah its not different - the same rules protect him - the only way he's not protected is if he gets hit post mesh point even if its not a zone read because they can legitimately claim he might have the ball post mesh point

but roughing the passer rules still apply for a handoff so if he clearly doesnt have the ball then that's applicable

Yeah it’s just that grey area in the RPO when he hands the ball off and maybe fakes that he still has the ball where it would be a difficult call for the refs. It’s just that in the RPO offense there is just more opportunities for this to happen, and that is exactly what Harrison was talking about In the clip. I really don’t think that there is anything new or earth shattering here, other then Harrison talking about it openly. I’m sure every D coordinator would love to get more hits on Lamar, but saying that and actually being able to do it is two different things. He’s pretty slippery. Lol.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah it’s just that grey area in the RPO when he hands the ball off and maybe fakes that he still has the ball where it would be a difficult call for the refs. It’s just that in the RPO offense there is just more opportunities for this to happen, and that is exactly what Harrison was talking about In the clip. I really don’t think that there is anything new or earth shattering here, other then Harrison talking about it openly. I’m sure every D coordinator would love to get more hits on Lamar, but saying that and actually being able to do it is two different things. He’s pretty slippery. Lol.
if I remember, RG3 started surrendering himself to avoid getting hit on the read options and rpo's, back when he was with the Skins in his rookie season, prior to the Ravens game.

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
Lamar is about the same size as Marcus Allen, who played running back for 16 seasons during a time in which player safety was not a priority at all. 16! This narrative about Lamar definitely having a short career just has no legs (pun intended?) based upon his health to date. I need look no further than our cornerbacks for examples. Jimmy is out injured at some point pretty much every season. Carr has a record starting streak. Same team, same position, shit happens more to some than to others. RG3 got destroyed while Wilson has never missed a start, thought it's always RG3 and never Wilson who gets the comparison with Lamar with those who want to wish ill on him. I really think Lamar is more towards the Carr/Wilson side with respect to durability. Did he ever miss a start in college due to injury? (Real question, as I don't know, but don't know of any.)

Anyway, I've seen the narrative from non-Ravens fans go from, "he's just a running back" to "ok he can throw but defenses will figure him out" to "ok, maybe defenses can't figure him out but he'll have a short lifespan in the league." As is people think Mahomes and Watson are done after having been injured. It's just another way to be hateful. Will be interesting to see the narrative after he wins the Super Bowl.

But I'm getting way ahead of myself. On to the Titans.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lamar is about the same size as Marcus Allen, who played running back for 16 seasons during a time in which player safety was not a priority at all. 16! This narrative about Lamar definitely having a short career just has no legs (pun intended?) based upon his health to date. I need look no further than our cornerbacks for examples. Jimmy is out injured at some point pretty much every season. Carr has a record starting streak. Same team, same position, shit happens more to some than to others. RG3 got destroyed while Wilson has never missed a start, thought it's always RG3 and never Wilson who gets the comparison with Lamar with those who want to wish ill on him. I really think Lamar is more towards the Carr/Wilson side with respect to durability. Did he ever miss a start in college due to injury? (Real question, as I don't know, but don't know of any.)

Anyway, I've seen the narrative from non-Ravens fans go from, "he's just a running back" to "ok he can throw but defenses will figure him out" to "ok, maybe defenses can't figure him out but he'll have a short lifespan in the league." As is people think Mahomes and Watson are done after having been injured. It's just another way to be hateful. Will be interesting to see the narrative after he wins the Super Bowl.

But I'm getting way ahead of myself. On to the Titans.
if we win a super bowl, every other fan we say teams will figure him out next season.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am feeling it folks. Right now I am feeling it. I am feeling Nostradamus right now. I am going to make a prediction.

The Ravens will win this game 41-13
Breakdown: Lamar Jackson throws for 180 yds and 3 TDs and runs for 110 yds 1 TD. We get a defensive TD by Marlon Humphrey on an INT and Tucker nails 2 FGs.

This is going to be borne out. If it does, I want to be called the 'Purple Nostra'!

I am feeling it folks. Right now I am feeling it. I am feeling Nostradamus right now. I am going to make a prediction.

Breakdown: Lamar Jackson throws for 180 yds and 3 TDs and runs for 110 yds 1 TD. We get a defensive TD by Marlon Humphrey on an INT and Tucker nails 2 FGs.

This is going to be borne out. If it does, I want to be called the 'Purple Nostra'!

Maybe you could help me with next years pickem pool. Lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Shit, they were supposed to have him figured out after the playoff game last season. What's taking so fucking long?
Everyone has to play him a second time, duh, because that’s the key ingredient, it’s SoOoOoO hard to beat nfl teams twice and nfl coaches could never let a mobile qb beat them twice, they will definitely scheme something up

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I can finally breathe. Why did you wait so long to post this, I've been holding my breath since week 17

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can finally breathe. Why did you wait so long to post this, I've been holding my breath since week 17
Breathe easy my young friend! The spirit of 'Nostradamus' shows up at the most inopportune times. These visions are totally out of my earthly control. I'm like the 3 eyed Raven from the 'Game of Thrones', except I'm not blind and not a fantasy story written by George R. R. Martin.

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
To be fair, this has been the universal method for basically every dual threat qb running the read option. The same was said about Kaepernick, cam, and Tebow. It’s always been something that people just spew out of their mouths without thinking about the Xs and Os and how easy it is to wreck a gameplan if you’re committing a key defender to hitting a player who isn’t holding the ball. Imagine defenders tackling Tom brady after he hands the ball off just in case it’s play action and doing that EVERY PLAY, the run game would absolutely feast by just running traps and counters

Yeah, like I said hitting a guy is one thing. They aren’t talking about that anymore. They’re literally saying the gameplan should be to hurt Lamar. I have never heard that kind of talk openly discussed as a reasonable strategy in any professional sport in my life.

It strikes me as if a bunch of pundits are embarrassed that this is being sustained and rather than feign concern that Lamar will get injured running, they’re now asking for someone to injure him.

Last edited:

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/how-to-stop-lamar-jackson-baltimore-ravens-running-game

Someone in the press found a clue.

“The Ravens have been showered with praise for the scheme they’ve built for Jackson, which has allowed him to flourish. But I think we have that backward. This isn’t the case of a team building the perfect offense for a mobile quarterback; instead, we’re seeing a rare talent allowing a team to build a world-conquering offense. The scheme is getting more from Lamar than Lamar is getting from the scheme.”