• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
exactly - i think we'd all like to see lamar throw it more but he had nearly 8 ypa today (i know it's a small sample size) which is way better than flacco's season of 6.5 ypa
13-19 for 150 when you have well over 200 total rush yards is seriously all you can ask for, the odds of you losing that game are slim if you have a respectable defense. Unfortunately one midfield pick and one turnover on downs gave them short fields to score and keep it close, those 2 things nullified an offense that controlled the game and clock. If we punt instead of turning it over those 2 times I think the odds are that this is never a close game.

Plus penalties, goddamn penalties killed us. The hold on Ricard certainly took 3 off the board and quite possibly took 7 off, the OPI on Andrews did the same.

Did they score a TD off of both turnovers? I know they did on the pick but I can’t recall if they did on the missed fourth.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Another thing that’s been irking the shit out of me is the number of talking heads saying that lamar was nervous and jittery in the pocket... what the hell were these people watching? He was escaping when the pocket broke down and reestablishing the pocket after he bought himself space, and he shifted through the pocket with good footwork and vision as it was closing in on him.

It’s fucking MIND BOGGLING how many people take what is typically said about a run first qb and parrot it all over the media without actually knowing what their watching and forming their own opinions. These people are actually watching lamar Jackson play, and then going online and typing this shit out, with all the time in the world to make sure they’re saying the right thing, and actually posting it. If these people all saw lamar consistently panic and get shaky in the pocket(looking at you 105.7 morning show and every nfl.com article I’ve read so far) I wanna know what they think of joe Flacco in the pocket.

you got any links - all the stuff ive read and seen so far has mostly been positive stuff and not really said anything about the pocket stuff at all

rossihunter2

Staff Member
13-19 for 150 when you have well over 200 total rush yards is seriously all you can ask for, the odds of you losing that game are slim if you have a respectable defense. Unfortunately one midfield pick and one turnover on downs gave them short fields to score and keep it close, those 2 things nullified an offense that controlled the game and clock. If we punt instead of turning it over those 2 times I think the odds are that this is never a close game.

Plus penalties, goddamn penalties killed us. The hold on Ricard certainly took 3 off the board and quite possibly took 7 off, the OPI on Andrews did the same.

Did they score a TD off of both turnovers? I know they did on the pick but I can’t recall if they did on the missed fourth.

yep:

their 3 tds came on 3 short fields: the first they started at the CIN-43 yard line after the long return, the second started at the BAL-32 yard line after the INT return, the third started at the BAL-43 yard line after the turnover on downs

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
you got any links - all the stuff ive read and seen so far has mostly been positive stuff and not really said anything about the pocket stuff at all
105.7 repeated the shit over and over this morning, and ed Norris and rob long are usually not totally clueless on football so it took me by surprise.

Then http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...arbaugh-lamar-jackson-played-winning-football after the 2nd video

And I know I’ve seen more but I can’t just go back and find it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
105.7 repeated the shit over and over this morning, and ed Norris and rob long are usually not totally clueless on football so it took me by surprise.

Then http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...arbaugh-lamar-jackson-played-winning-football after the 2nd video

And I know I’ve seen more but I can’t just go back and find it

that nfl article is bizarre - its written by the same guy who did the ravens-bengals section of the what we learned recap they do on the site - he said in that version that lamar looked composed...

ive never listened to 105.7 but i always assumed it was worthless in terms of football analysis

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
yep:

their 3 tds came on 3 short fields: the first they started at the CIN-43 yard line after the long return, the second started at the BAL-32 yard line after the INT return, the third started at the BAL-43 yard line after the turnover on downs
Ok so if those 2 turnovers would instead have been a punt that’s quite possibly a 14 point swing, because the bengals had shown they weren’t really able to drive Long against us. If the ricard hold doesn’t happen that’s minimum another 3, if the Andrews opi doesn’t happen that’s minimum another 3, both could’ve been 7 as we were moving very well at the time. This game could’ve EASILY been a 31 pt differential if not for dumb overly aggressive calls and ticky tack ass penalties, and of course if those things went our way. Worst case we probably have another 10 points on the board and they lose at least one TD. Wish that game had a ref who lets players play and Harbaugh didn’t try that fourth and treated the game like the ground and defense was controlling it, cuz it did. Should’ve been a field position game

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Last time was against the Jags in 2016. Crazy 4th quarter with back-to-back-to-back ints.
oh yes, now i remember. we got them back from the previous year when we were robbed. referees again

that nfl article is bizarre - its written by the same guy who did the ravens-bengals section of the what we learned recap they do on the site - he said in that version that lamar looked composed...

ive never listened to 105.7 but i always assumed it was worthless in terms of football analysis
105.7 is basically ArsenalFanTv but not as funny and instead of hearing blud and fam you hear some guy from Dundalk with the thickest Baltimore accent complaining about players making so much money. Or rob in parkville will tell you how soft players are now.

Last edited:

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Matt Waldman on twitter did some really nice breakdowns of Lamar's passing - lots of positives to take out of this game - little things that show he's ahead of where many qbs are at this stage of their careers in terms of pocket presence, ball placement, reading the field

personally i just want to see him launch it a couple of times

EDIT:
some nice breakdowns from michael crawford (@abukari) on twitter too
Nice find thanks for sharing. I can recommend watching the 23 yards pass to brown, the int throw, the throw to moore and the throw to snead.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Why does cris carter think so strongly that lamar is short as shit? He said on his episode Friday that lamar is height challenged at 6’1”. Today’s episode he said the same exact thing and even said baker mayfield is taller. Is anyone fact checking these fucking morons? Lamar is 3/8” under the nfl average of 6’3”

CC also swears up and down, on 2 straight episodes, that lamar has a long winding up motion before his release.

WHERE DO PEOPLE GET THIS? Lmao

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Another thing that’s been irking the shit out of me is the number of talking heads saying that lamar was nervous and jittery in the pocket... what the hell were these people watching? He was escaping when the pocket broke down and reestablishing the pocket after he bought himself space, and he shifted through the pocket with good footwork and vision as it was closing in on him.

It’s fucking MIND BOGGLING how many people take what is typically said about a run first qb and parrot it all over the media without actually knowing what their watching and forming their own opinions. These people are actually watching lamar Jackson play, and then going online and typing this shit out, with all the time in the world to make sure they’re saying the right thing, and actually posting it. If these people all saw lamar consistently panic and get shaky in the pocket(looking at you 105.7 morning show and every nfl.com article I’ve read so far) I wanna know what they think of joe Flacco in the pocket.
I’m irked more by people saying his ceiling is Vick. I think he has a higher ceiling than that because I think he’s very good he just needs work. Lamar needs to just take the next step with his throws that’s all. I’m hoping Marty calls more plays to show us that because it sounds like the WR want it more too

Why does cris carter think so strongly that lamar is short as shit? He said on his episode Friday that lamar is height challenged at 6’1”. Today’s episode he said the same exact thing and even said baker mayfield is taller. Is anyone fact checking these fucking morons? Lamar is 3/8” under the nfl average of 6’3”

CC also swears up and down, on 2 straight episodes, that lamar has a long winding up motion before his release.

WHERE DO PEOPLE GET THIS? Lmao
lmao, Is baker mayfield even 6 foot. I don’t know anyone could possibly get that so wrong.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I've only seen highlights but sounds like things went pretty good for LJ in his first start. Looks like they made the right decision to start him as it was the perfect spot(Cinci ranked 32 total D and also last against the run by a lot) for him to break in with the least amount pressure. At this point I'm not nearly as optimistic as some of you but do agree his future could be promising.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I’m irked more by people saying his ceiling is Vick. I think he has a higher ceiling than that because I think he’s very good he just needs work. Lamar needs to just take the next step with his throws that’s all. I’m hoping Marty calls more plays to show us that because it sounds like the WR want it more too
He better or Crab and Snead are going to set him up in a dark back alley.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
He better or Crab and Snead are going to set him up in a dark back alley.
Whatever needs to be done to get the play calling right do it. Sometimes you gotta break some eggs to make an omelette if you don’t have any egg beaters.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
lmao, Is baker mayfield even 6 foot. I don’t know anyone could possibly get that so wrong.
Look up lamar Jackson on YouTube, turn the search settings to upload date, click the first video you see with cris carter and I shit you not you will hear him say baker mayfield is taller than lamar

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Look up lamar Jackson on YouTube, turn the search settings to upload date, click the first video you see with cris carter and I shit you not you will hear him say baker mayfield is taller than lamar
The show was much better without him. I enjoyed the show more with Bart Scott or Chris Canty. Carter's arguments is always like I have played in the NFL for 15 years therefore I know everything and I'm friends with x and y.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The show was much better without him. I enjoyed the show more with Bart Scott or Chris Canty. Carter's arguments is always like I have played in the NFL for 15 years therefore I know everything and I'm friends with x and y.
And Bart Scott makes it rain knowledge every time he’s a guest there now, he is an INCREDIBLE analyst who I think is just too advanced for the average ESPN watcher. And yes cris carter leans on the same crutch every time he speaks.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

haha i saw the clip, started watching, cris carter started speaking and i thought nope, checked the comments and saw the thing about lamar being shorter than mayfield and realised what cris carter was about to say - switched off immediately