• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've only seen highlights but sounds like things went pretty good for LJ in his first start. Looks like they made the right decision to start him as it was the perfect spot(Cinci ranked 32 total D and also last against the run by a lot) for him to break in with the least amount pressure. At this point I'm not nearly as optimistic as some of you but do agree his future could be promising.

When it comes to your guy remaining the starting QB for the Ravens, hopefully......

giphy.gif

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m irked more by people saying his ceiling is Vick. I think he has a higher ceiling than that because I think he’s very good he just needs work. Lamar needs to just take the next step with his throws that’s all. I’m hoping Marty calls more plays to show us that because it sounds like the WR want it more too
I agree with you. I think he's very football savvy and smart. He's a street football player much like Ben in a way. Except he is light years faster and deadlier with his feet! His ceiling is his own because the league hasn't seen anything like Lamar quiet yet. The old rules that we go by will not apply to him imho.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’m irked more by people saying his ceiling is Vick. I think he has a higher ceiling than that because I think he’s very good he just needs work. Lamar needs to just take the next step with his throws that’s all. I’m hoping Marty calls more plays to show us that because it sounds like the WR want it more too

Totally agree, Vick only had a good seasons. He was an innacurate thrower for thr most part but had a good long ball. He did excellent that one year in Philly and if Lamar can play that well, then that would be great, but Vick came nowhere near scratching the surface of what people thought he would be when he entered the league in 2001.

I agree with you. I think he's very football savvy and smart. He's a street football player much like Ben in a way. Except he is light years faster and deadlier with his feet! His ceiling is his own because the league hasn't seen anything like Lamar quiet yet. The old rules that we go by will not apply to him imho.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Totally agree, Vick only had a good seasons. He was an innacurate thrower for thr most part but had a good long ball. He did excellent that one year in Philly and if Lamar can play that well, then that would be great, but Vick came nowhere near scratching the surface of what people thought he would be when he entered the league in 2001.
Vick is the ultimate example of missed potential. If he had actually studied film and worked on his passing he'd be damn near unstoppable.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ya know I’m starting to think he isn’t nearly as much like Vick as some think, the athleticism obviously, but when you get to the finer points things look different. Vick had a better arm, period. Lamar though, he has a different level of mental understanding it looks like, this qb shit is just second nature to him, footwork and mechanics and all not so much, but feeling pressure, protecting the ball, self preservation, eyes downfield, establishing a new pocket, resetting his form, selling fakes, eyeing the defense during the fake and spotting where he gains advantage, just diagnosing everything in general, lamar mentally looks like he could be seriously special, this shit is instinct for him, he knows what he’s doing.

I honestly feel more comfortable with his mental capacity for the nfl than I have ever felt with joe, aside from his SB run.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jackson does play like he’s playing backyard football. Many have lauded Ben for doing that and making it exciting and I think Lamar already does it. He does have a unique ceiling because I don’t see a true comparison for him. I’d say he’s like Wilson but Wilson was more accurate coming out of Wisconsin, I thought. He’s not Cam because they’re different runners and have different body types and Cam was a better passer coming out of Auburn.

That’s how I feel. I get a bit annoyed by the Vick comparison because I feel that’s such a lazy comparison.

Ya know I’m starting to think he isn’t nearly as much like Vick as some think, the athleticism obviously, but when you get to the finer points things look different. Vick had a better arm, period. Lamar though, he has a different level of mental understanding it looks like, this qb shit is just second nature to him, footwork and mechanics and all not so much, but feeling pressure, protecting the ball, self preservation, eyes downfield, establishing a new pocket, resetting his form, selling fakes, eyeing the defense during the fake and spotting where he gains advantage, just diagnosing everything in general, lamar mentally looks like he could be seriously special, this shit is instinct for him, he knows what he’s doing.

I honestly feel more comfortable with his mental capacity for the nfl than I have ever felt with joe, aside from his SB run.
I think Lamar possesses Wilson’s scramble ability and work ethic and attitude with an arm less than Newton but better than Wilson. Lamar is pretty accurate on short and intermediate throws down the middle but struggled downfield along the sidelines. The mental makeup comforts me and makes me feel like Lamar will reach his potential because mental makeup is a huge deal. I was too young to see Vick coming out of college but I don’t think Jackson is really comparable.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Jackson does play like he’s playing backyard football. Many have lauded Ben for doing that and making it exciting and I think Lamar already does it. He does have a unique ceiling because I don’t see a true comparison for him. I’d say he’s like Wilson but Wilson was more accurate coming out of Wisconsin, I thought. He’s not Cam because they’re different runners and have different body types and Cam was a better passer coming out of Auburn.

That’s how I feel. I get a bit annoyed by the Vick comparison because I feel that’s such a lazy comparison.

I think Lamar possesses Wilson’s scramble ability and work ethic and attitude with an arm less than Newton but better than Wilson. Lamar is pretty accurate on short and intermediate throws down the middle but struggled downfield along the sidelines. The mental makeup comforts me and makes me feel like Lamar will reach his potential because mental makeup is a huge deal. I was too young to see Vick coming out of college but I don’t think Jackson is really comparable.
I wouldn’t say he’s got a better arm than Wilson lol I think Lamar’s arm will always be average and limited due to shaky placement on fades which are crucial to splitting safeties in cover 2, other than that though I think he can develop his arm to make every other throw. He’s come along so well and really looked better passing than I expected and I was cautiously expecting a good looking game from him.

My thing with lamar is just move the damn chains, RPO heavy, throw when ya need to and pick up the first downs and convert in the red zone. He looked deadly efficient throwing it to convert, like he could be a very dangerous small ball kinda QB even with a full workload for his arm. I believe the josh mcdaniels crush on lamar was legit now, because he looks like he could CRUSH mcdaniels offense with his arm and innovate the shit out of it with his legs, we’ve seen an RPO mcdaniels offense with Tebow already, and it was ugly but goddamn did it bring that team back from the dead and get some wins, and the whole reason it was ugly was because Tebow was not an nfl QB, lamar looks like an nfl qb and I’m so relieved and excited after seeing this game

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wouldn’t say he’s got a better arm than Wilson lol I think Lamar’s arm will always be average and limited due to shaky placement on fades which are crucial to splitting safeties in cover 2, other than that though I think he can develop his arm to make every other throw. He’s come along so well and really looked better passing than I expected and I was cautiously expecting a good looking game from him.

My thing with lamar is just move the damn chains, RPO heavy, throw when ya need to and pick up the first downs and convert in the red zone. He looked deadly efficient throwing it to convert, like he could be a very dangerous small ball kinda QB even with a full workload for his arm. I believe the josh mcdaniels crush on lamar was legit now, because he looks like he could CRUSH mcdaniels offense with his arm and innovate the shit out of it with his legs, we’ve seen an RPO mcdaniels offense with Tebow already, and it was ugly but goddamn did it bring that team back from the dead and get some wins, and the whole reason it was ugly was because Tebow was not an nfl QB, lamar looks like an nfl qb and I’m so relieved and excited after seeing this game
I’m talking arm strength when both came out of the draft. Lamar can throw deep but it’s not accurate. Wilson had his issues there coming out of Wisconsin. I’m not comparing Wilson now to Lamar now. I’ve never been a fair of those comparisons. I do think Lamar would be perfect (right now) in that circa 2010 Tom Brady offense built off of short passes. I don’t think Lamar would survive in Cam’s system either lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m talking arm strength when both came out of the draft. Lamar can throw deep but it’s not accurate. Wilson had his issues there coming out of Wisconsin. I’m not comparing Wilson now to Lamar now. I’ve never been a fair of those comparisons. I do think Lamar would be perfect (right now) in that circa 2010 Tom Brady offense built off of short passes. I don’t think Lamar would survive in Cam’s system either lol
Lamar in a coryell is a waste and the exact type of shit I could picture Harbaugh doing

rossihunter2

Staff Member

I mean to be fair to Vick, he himself said Lamar was way ahead of him at this stage and is a better qb than he was

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I mean to be fair to Vick, he himself said Lamar was way ahead of him at this stage and is a better qb than he was
I never said anything about Vick speaking on him, just all the comparisons. I mean it’s the obvious comparison but after a much closer look there are mental differences that jump off the tape

I think one of the reasons it’s pointless to compare Lamar to Vick goes beyond their personal attributes but should account for the changes in the league since Vick was playing.

Vick was told by some that he couldn’t survive on his legs alone but in the end I think he felt he could break the mold. Lamar has the benefit of history and will know that approach just isn’t possible and will work to develop his game accordingly.

If there is one aspect of another player I want him to emulate its Wilson’s focus on self preservation. You can see at the moment he wants to prove himself, to show his teammates his desire and toughness but he has to do a better job of protecting himself.

Lamar actually did a good job of preserving himself yesterday. Most of the runs he avoids any kind of real hit and got out bounds on many of them. The hardest shot he took was when a clear hit to the head that wasn’t called on the first drive.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
I don't like Marty's playcalling at all, but I do like what Urban has taught him so far.
I think ( better I hope) they decided to get Lamar as comfortable as possible so they went with a run heavy approach. The bengals couldn't stop the run so why shouldn't the ravens stop running and start to drop back every snap. This was an ideal scenario for lamar to get his feet wet.
Obviously this isn't sustainable. But consider this Lamar is only 21 and willing to learn. Most rookies tend to lose their confidence and make stupid decisions once they make mistakes. Not Lamar. He threw an INT and botched a low snap,he got back to the bench talked to his receivers and Urban and didn't lose any confidence and continued to make plays.

A ceiling of Michael Vick is a high ass ceiling, if those early 2000s falcons knew how to build a team they would’ve won at least one super bowl, he CARRIED a trash team to a NFCCG very early in his career.

And his trajectory is not rg3, he’s already sharper, cleaner, and smarter than rg3 who’s entire pass game was arm and accuracy with nothing between the ears.

Except when you build a team around this style quarterback and the quarterback gets injured like they inevitably do, then you’re in a hole.

Throwing accurately to wide open receivers
Open just ten yards down the field is not impressive. At all.