• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Except when you build a team around this style quarterback and the quarterback gets injured like they inevitably do, then you’re in a hole.

Throwing accurately to wide open receivers
Open just ten yards down the field is not impressive. At all.
Then why can’t joe throw accurately to wide open receivers?

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Then why can’t joe throw accurately to wide open receivers?
I think part of the problem with Flacco is he is late in his throws and that causes him to be late hitting guys in stride and it's why we have guys get drilled when they get the ball even on those short passes but it's why Tom Brady can make those throws because he is quick to make them and knows where he is going. This isn't obviously a blanket statement because you can't apply statements like that, but I do think it happens quite a bit. That may be why these short passes short of the sticks from Flacco frustrate us so much because he just is late to throw it. He's always had issues hitting guys in stride for a decade now. He's not a bad player and he has made things happen so I'm not saying he's bad, but he has issues with hitting guys in stride. It has been a big problem with his deep ball but Smith was so good at getting that DPI that it was masked. He also had Mason who was a great WR with running routes so that probably eased it up on him.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Except when you build a team around this style quarterback and the quarterback gets injured like they inevitably do, then you’re in a hole.

Throwing accurately to wide open receivers
Open just ten yards down the field is not impressive. At all.

Wide open or not, Lamar was actually able to hit receivers in stride which is something Flacco rarely, if ever, does.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think part of the problem with Flacco is he is late in his throws and that causes him to be late hitting guys in stride and it's why we have guys get drilled when they get the ball even on those short passes but it's why Tom Brady can make those throws because he is quick to make them and knows where he is going. This isn't obviously a blanket statement because you can't apply statements like that, but I do think it happens quite a bit. That may be why these short passes short of the sticks from Flacco frustrate us so much because he just is late to throw it. He's always had issues hitting guys in stride for a decade now. He's not a bad player and he has made things happen so I'm not saying he's bad, but he has issues with hitting guys in stride. It has been a big problem with his deep ball but Smith was so good at getting that DPI that it was masked. He also had Mason who was a great WR with running routes so that probably eased it up on him.
And so my question now turns into: why can the non passing ass lamar Jackson hit guys on crossers and quick routes and give them room to run, and Flacco the 10 year vet doesn’t see an open wr 5 yards in front of his face until it’s too late?

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
You guys are acting like every throw from Joe is inaccurate. It’s a mixture and it’s COMPLETELY different trying to hit wife open receivers in stride vs covered ones. Our receivers rarely get as open as they did on Sunday which they mostly did because of Lamar extending the plays.

Accuracy is ONE part of the equation. Timing and crispness of the route ran is another, as is pressure and the type of coverage, linebackers in the passing window, linemen trying to swat down balls, etc.

Comparing Joe to Brady is EXTREMELY disingenuous. Brady has legendary otherworldly once in a generation accuracy, work ethic, drive and ALSO great coaching.

Tom Brady’s Don’t grow on trees. Joe is accurate enough to play at a high level in the NFL but like most quarterbacks needs a competent system and playcalling around him, and he’s done decent his year considering all new weapons and the COMPLETE lack of a run game and shitty playcalling at times, dropped passes, etc.

Joe isn’t on the same level as Brees, Brady or Rodgers. He’s more or less on the name level as Ben or Rivers except those guys have played with high octane and competent offensive coaches, systems and weapons and Joe hasn’t.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You guys are acting like every throw from Joe is inaccurate. It’s a mixture and it’s COMPLETELY different trying to hit wife open receivers in stride vs covered ones. Our receivers rarely get as open as they did on Sunday which they mostly did because of Lamar extending the plays.

Accuracy is ONE part of the equation. Timing and crispness of the route ran is another, as is pressure and the type of coverage, linebackers in the passing window, linemen trying to swat down balls, etc.

Comparing Joe to Brady is EXTREMELY disingenuous. Brady has legendary otherworldly once in a generation accuracy, work ethic, drive and ALSO great coaching.

Tom Brady’s Don’t grow on trees. Joe is accurate enough to play at a high level in the NFL but like most quarterbacks needs a competent system and playcalling around him, and he’s done decent his year considering all new weapons and the COMPLETE lack of a run game and shitty playcalling at times, dropped passes, etc.

Joe isn’t on the same level as Brees, Brady or Rodgers. He’s more or less on the name level as Ben or Rivers except those guys have played with high octane and competent offensive coaches, systems and weapons and Joe hasn’t.
First of all, joe misses open receivers constantly, joe also has to throw to covered receivers so often because he has windows to throw to them and visually misses them and waits until they’re covered.

And if all this is the case, and WRs aren’t getting open(false) and we can’t run the ball and can’t complete passes with joe on the field, whether it’s joe or play calling or whatever then... wouldn’t joe not be the best option?

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

Joe’s issues with hitting guys in stride has been a long term issue so I don’t think that’s an exaggeration. Flacco isn’t bad and he clearly was a good player who could do great things. Maybe he can still do those things. This is the best receiving corps he’s had so I don’t think the issue is as much getting open as it is securing catches this year. I’ll disagree with that point because I don’t think separation is a huge problem for us. Joe isn’t Tom but we’re trying to make him throw short passes and his WR and him aren’t connecting. It’s weird because he didn’t have a problem with it early on but I think it goes back to his mental makeup. I think Joe is thinking too much and it’s causing him to frankly suck at times. Talent wise he has the talent but I think it’s all mental with him. As for the new weapons thing, when are we going to stop making excuses? Flacco didn’t have problems throwing to Snead, Andrews, Brown early on. That wasn’t an issue early on so that tells me it’s not a factor here

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think one of the reasons it’s pointless to compare Lamar to Vick goes beyond their personal attributes but should account for the changes in the league since Vick was playing.

Vick was told by some that he couldn’t survive on his legs alone but in the end I think he felt he could break the mold. Lamar has the benefit of history and will know that approach just isn’t possible and will work to develop his game accordingly.

If there is one aspect of another player I want him to emulate its Wilson’s focus on self preservation. You can see at the moment he wants to prove himself, to show his teammates his desire and toughness but he has to do a better job of protecting himself.
Wilson was a baseball player, so sliding comes naturally to him as well. I believe in time he will slide.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know what Eric DeCosta is thinking right now with regard to the development and coaching of Lamar. Like we've all seen this year, Sean McVeigh was able to bring Goff back from the busted and dead to an all pro in just one year with the right coaching. I don't know if Marty and Roman are sufficient to keep Lamar's growth going and maximize his potential while saving his body. Maybe they are and maybe he thinks we need to go in a totally different direction.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
Fuck I watched like twenty minutes of the past three games and see plenty of plays where Joe hits receivers accurately and in stride. No, he isn’t always perfect but most no one is perfect , even Brady has bad throws but has a lot more going for him system and talent wise year in and year out.

Lamar threw some nice short passes Sunday. I almost couldn’t look anytime he threw the ball
Downfield. Should have been picked off more than the one time.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
When Lamar gets injured and Joe is gone and we have some shit qb like we had before Flacco and Joe’s lighting it up for another team you’re all gonna be feeling pretty stupid. That’s all I can say.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
When Lamar gets injured and Joe is gone and we have some shit qb like we had before Flacco and Joe’s lighting it up for another team you’re all gonna be feeling pretty stupid. That’s all I can say.
Lol, I’ll be rooting for him on another team, but it’s time for us to change. He is mediocre at best. Maybe that is a bit harsh, because he did have his day and he is still tough as nails.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
I’m not a Joe homer. If we would have drafted someone like Mahomes last year or had the option of a bunch of other quarterbacks in the league right now there’s plenty of take over Joe. I just have zero faith in Lamar, running quarterbacks run pass option bullshit.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Fuck I watched like twenty minutes of the past three games and see plenty of plays where Joe hits receivers accurately and in stride. No, he isn’t always perfect but most no one is perfect , even Brady has bad throws but has a lot more going for him system and talent wise year in and year out.

Lamar threw some nice short passes Sunday. I almost couldn’t look anytime he threw the ball
Downfield. Should have been picked off more than the one time.
It'll take more than 20 minutes but maybe you need to watch last 3 years.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
And I don’t think anyone here is really taking fully into account scheme, health, coaching and just honestly accounting for how hard it is to find competent quarterback play. We compare Joe to All Time Greats which is just not a fair comparison.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
It'll take more than 20 minutes but maybe you need to watch last 3 years.

Shit I was told it was constantly.

I’ve watched Joe every year he has played. I watch plenty of other teams play because of my family having a lot of fan diversity. Joe isn’t the most consistent or accurate but he’s certainly adequate and consistent enough to be a good quarterback. He has never had a team actually build around him like Ben and Rivers and other teams have done with good quarterbacks.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
We havent seen any improvments from flacco. When i say improvements, im talking about your typical qb traits.. he has been inconsistent, inaccurate, bad clock management, doesnt read defenses, doesnt make pre snap adjusments and makes bad decisions...no improvements in any of those areas since he entered the lg.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I’ve watched Joe every year he has played. I watch plenty of other teams play because of my family having a lot of fan diversity. Joe isn’t the most consistent or accurate but he’s certainly adequate and consistent enough to be a good quarterback. He has never had a team actually build around him like Ben and Rivers and other teams have done with good quarterbacks.
Yes, he’s good enough to get us to 9-7. I don’t know about you, but I want more than that

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

Unfortunately, that's not good enough to make us a competitive any longer. It's not only Joe but it starts from QB and coaching philosophy. We need to thank him and Harbaugh for what they've done in the past and move on. The sooner, the better, since we're couple years late already.