• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i dont disagree with you - but he also wasnt scrambling a ton last year, it was mostly designed runs whereas this year the times when it opens up are when he's scrambling which is a different mindset

but because of those faster athletes on defence this year those opportunities to scramble are fewer - i really think the lack of lamar runs (certainly outside runs) are overblown - id like to see more of those inverted veer concepts where dobbins the reads are reversed and lamar's taken inside not outside but that's an inherently more dangerous play but it has rewarded us big-time when we get it right

but the lamar keeper on the zone-read to get outside for the easiest 6-10 yards in football last year isnt happening anywhere near as often because of the defensive adjustments teams have made from 2019-2020 and the different personnel teams are putting on the field against the ravens - teams are forcing the give read because they know we aren't going to win up the middle handing it off to ingram for maybe 4 yards a pop on 1st down especially with our patchwork offensive line (but even before then)
i agree fully on the veer, that was my favorite play in 2018 where we used it a lot, it was probably the best run concept i imagined after we drafted dobbins, and it did in fact turn out to be lethal.

that said, im not too big on running lamar up the middle with this OL lol.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i agree fully on the veer, that was my favorite play in 2018 where we used it a lot, it was probably the best run concept i imagined after we drafted dobbins, and it did in fact turn out to be lethal.

that said, im not too big on running lamar up the middle with this OL lol.

which is probably why we're not seeing him run quite as much as last year... the successful concepts are the ones that put him in the most danger and the scrambles are not a natural part of his game right now

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
ima be sad as fuck when kyler murray wins mvp in year 2 like lamar, and then looks even better in year 3 where lamar regressed :(
I don't think Kyler wins MVP IMO he has never looked as dominant as Lamar did during the last like 10 games yet that can change but I don't see it happening even with better weapons lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Again, must be nice to have a top 3 WR and another HOF WR who's basically a timeless wonder.
You know that even if lamar had them, that still wouldnt fix what he lacks.. even without dhop, you could tell murry had it in him.. murry came into the lg being a better passer than lamar already so adding dhop didnt change that.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Hey, I'm not sure how many people are interested, but I got really frustrated at a lot of what I've seen going around lately surrounding Lamar and the Ravens offense and I decided to compile my thoughts in a really, uber long post and made a thread. Would be interester to hear any thoughts because this thread seems to be focused on what Lamar is struggling with and I'm looking at the failures around Lamar that are making it more difficult for him.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hey, I'm not sure how many people are interested, but I got really frustrated at a lot of what I've seen going around lately surrounding Lamar and the Ravens offense and I decided to compile my thoughts in a really, uber long post and made a thread. Would be interester to hear any thoughts because this thread seems to be focused on what Lamar is struggling with and I'm looking at the failures around Lamar that are making it more difficult for him.

I got you.

The Last Great Raven

Practice Squad
Banned
Stanley out doesn't help. Lamar is not a classic QB. He is not gonna be a high stat guy with WR's. Just is not going to happen. He can throw to late covered TE's but the league is catching on. Lamar has to RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN. That is how we succeed with LAMAR.........RUN FORREST RUN.........RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN and RUN some more. :He ain't Aaron Rodgers, ain't nevah gonna be. RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN lamar 40 times a game and dont' let up. Don't let him throw if you don't have to. Expect to Tight Ends coming WIDE OPEN after the RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Let us know when it's up and ready.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
that's fair enough but I really don't see him turning down yards that often - I can really only think of 1 time in the Pats game where taking off was the better option where the Pats were in man with their backs turned and he had clean grass ahead of him at least 10 yards down the field
Lamar had a good game vs. the Pats outside of the interception prior to the half and not running on the play you mentioned.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Looking at the pre-game guys talking about Tua makes me depressed. I wish we had coaches that used Lamar’s strengths but we lack creativity.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Love how Deion stuck up for our boy against these idiots.