• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Idk about this one. Joe was inconsistent af but lamar is inconsistent with his accuracy. Both are probably equal imo.

Joe had a cannon when his mechanics were sound. Lamar will never have that but can still be an All Pro year in and year out if he continues to work on his accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lamar is also a markedly better decision maker as well
Lamar really has a lot of elite passer traits, they just happen to be more those “intangibles” and really what he lacks is a consistently mechanically sound release, there isn’t much else, I’d like for him to have better eyes on the clear routes early in the rep when they aren’t being respected, and I’d like for him to have a better feel for when he should just roll out instead of climb the pocket, but other than those 3 things you can’t really ask much more of him as a passer, it just so happens that the first of those 3 flaws is a pretty goddamn major one.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar really has a lot of elite passer traits, they just happen to be more those “intangibles” and really what he lacks is a consistently mechanically sound release, there isn’t much else, I’d like for him to have better eyes on the clear routes early in the rep when they aren’t being respected, and I’d like for him to have a better feel for when he should just roll out instead of climb the pocket, but other than those 3 things you can’t really ask much more of him as a passer, it just so happens that the first of those 3 flaws is a pretty goddamn major one.

i'd like to see him throw more consistently with anticipation - sometimes he throws the most beautiful pass with awesome touch and timing and others i think he holds the ball too long waiting to see it come open first

and maybe that's about a lack of trust with his receivers - it's very telling that the best balls he's thrown have consistently been to andrews and hollywood who he clearly trusts (even when they're dropping the ball)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i'd like to see him throw more consistently with anticipation - sometimes he throws the most beautiful pass with awesome touch and timing and others i think he holds the ball too long waiting to see it come open first

and maybe that's about a lack of trust with his receivers - it's very telling that the best balls he's thrown have consistently been to andrews and hollywood who he clearly trusts (even when they're dropping the ball)
Yeah that’s one too, maybe timing feels off for him with those guys or something

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Pertaining the Flacco vs. Lamar conversation, there's another difference that I don't think was talked about. Of all the road games we've played over the years in the Flacco Era, you already know that the game was a guaranteed L if we played against a team with a good defense. With Lamar, we have a fighting chance against any team on the road with his playmaking abilities.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Pertaining the Flacco vs. Lamar conversation, there's another difference that I don't think was talked about. Of all the road games we've played over the years in the Flacco Era, you already know that the game was a guaranteed L if we played against a team with a good defense. With Lamar, we have a fighting chance against any team on the road with his playmaking abilities.
The Difference for me is I feel we are going to win every road game. Actually every game. With Flacco I was always more on edge. I've only been concerned with teams like the Chiefs. Other than that, I have a lot more confidence in Lamar.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Difference for me is I feel we are going to win every road game. Actually every game. With Flacco I was always more on edge. I've only been concerned with teams like the Chiefs. Other than that, I have a lot more confidence in Lamar.

You always had to ask the question of which version of Flacco would show up on gameday and even then, Flacco could be practically asleep for most of the game and then, all of a sudden, start to light it up (see the Cards game in which he led a furious comeback in the 2nd half that one year). If Flacco wasn't so damn inconsistent then he could have been an all-time great because when he was on, he was ON.

I never get that feeling with Lamar though. With Lamar, you know he's going to go out there and make some plays even if no one else is doing much of anything. Feel like we always have a good chance of winning when he's on the field.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You always had to ask the question of which version of Flacco would show up on gameday and even then, Flacco could be practically asleep for most of the game and then, all of a sudden, start to light it up (see the Cards game in which he led a furious comeback in the 2nd half that one year). If Flacco wasn't so damn inconsistent then he could have been an all-time great because when he was on, he was ON.

I never get that feeling with Lamar though. With Lamar, you know he's going to go out there and make some plays even if no one else is doing much of anything. Feel like we always have a good chance of winning when he's on the field.

the other thing especially after the superbowl run is that we just did not beat good teams in the regular season unless they were in the division (and tbh the bengals had our number for a while there)

i think we beat only a couple of playoff teams outside the division from 2013 until Lamar took over in 2018 (2014 Panthers who won the division 7-8-1, and the 2016 Dolphins)

the same Lamar who then beat a playoff team in his first 6 games as a rookie...

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
the other thing especially after the superbowl run is that we just did not beat good teams in the regular season unless they were in the division (and tbh the bengals had our number for a while there)

i think we beat only a couple of playoff teams outside the division from 2013 until Lamar took over in 2018 (2014 Panthers who won the division 7-8-1, and the 2016 Dolphins)

the same Lamar who then beat a playoff team in his first 6 games as a rookie...

I used to absolutely dread playing the Bengals because I knew it was likely an L. Dalton and Green would constantly kill us and I just knew Flacco was good for a couple of bad turnovers in every one of those games.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
YEEESH, I totally forgot about this play.............in large part of because of the end result of this game lol.

lamar's release is probably the most underrated part of his game - you can quibble with his lower body mechanics and get annoyed that he sometimes goes to that side-arm

but the whippy release he has is lightning fast and generates a ton of power just through his upper body which allows him to do these crazy type throws lol

had to run the clip like 4 times just to see how he actually released that ball lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
lamar's release is probably the most underrated part of his game - you can quibble with his lower body mechanics and get annoyed that he sometimes goes to that side-arm

but the whippy release he has is lightning fast and generates a ton of power just through his upper body which allows him to do these crazy type throws lol

had to run the clip like 4 times just to see how he actually released that ball lol
This is facts, Lamar slings that ball like he don’t give a shit.

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member

some of these throws guys were wide open on the scramble drill

but some of these are phenomenal throws - the one to hollywood against cleveland in week 1 and the one against the cowboys to hollywood for a td were both pretty special though

the one he threw to boykin was probably the most aesthetically pleasing though

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

some of these throws guys were wide open on the scramble drill

but some of these are phenomenal throws - the one to hollywood against cleveland in week 1 and the one against the cowboys to hollywood for a td were both pretty special though

the one he threw to boykin was probably the most aesthetically pleasing though

now that's interesting. I thought he was really bad at deep shots last season.

For those people that "used to" think we should trade Watson for Jackson, he was 8th.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

This is really surprising ...

Russell Wilson 16th 31-70
Patrick Mahomes 17th 28-68

Last edited: