• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'd be shocked if AV is back. $4M base but also a $2M roster bonus. They ain't paying that. This was always a 1 year deal dressed up as a 2 year deal.
absolutely. It really was the best way to fit him under the cap.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Haven’t heard much about Lamar’s new contract. Is that a good thing? I would assume if negotiations were going poorly , one side would have leaked something.

I wonder if it’s even a priority since we already picked up his 5th year option. If we go that route does the full 23 million count against the cap next year ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Haven’t heard much about Lamar’s new contract. Is that a good thing? I would assume if negotiations were going poorly , one side would have leaked something.

I wonder if it’s even a priority since we already picked up his 5th year option. If we go that route does the full 23 million count against the cap next year ?

it's likely nothing's happened since the offseason because lamar's his own agent - probably hard to negotiate and do stuff like that during the season without an agent

id imagine we'll see it get done in the offseason

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

He's negotiating it himself (with his mom), so not surprised it hasn't gotten done. Hard to do during the season.
I honestly don't know what the motivation on either side is. Ravens should obviously be fine with a $23M cap hit in 2022, since that's not at all prohibitive or unreasonable, but it's what comes after that.
Obviously if he plays out the 5th year option, you're talking franchise tag possibilities in 2023, which would almost certainly be north of $30M. With these price ranges that's not prohibitive either, but nobody really likes one year contracts.
The biggest reason for sooner rather than later is he's just going to be that much more expensive the longer you wait. Short of him suffering an Alex Smith-level injury, even after a season like this, his price tag goes up, not down. You wait 2 more years to sign him, and he may be a $45-50M QB then, instead of a $40M QB now.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's negotiating it himself (with his mom), so not surprised it hasn't gotten done. Hard to do during the season.
I honestly don't know what the motivation on either side is. Ravens should obviously be fine with a $23M cap hit in 2022, since that's not at all prohibitive or unreasonable, but it's what comes after that.
Obviously if he plays out the 5th year option, you're talking franchise tag possibilities in 2023, which would almost certainly be north of $30M. With these price ranges that's not prohibitive either, but nobody really likes one year contracts.
The biggest reason for sooner rather than later is he's just going to be that much more expensive the longer you wait. Short of him suffering an Alex Smith-level injury, even after a season like this, his price tag goes up, not down. You wait 2 more years to sign him, and he may be a $45-50M QB then, instead of a $40M QB now.

How would the cost rise if he continues looking like garbage?? Inflation sure, but the cap inflates too to match that. So I'm really confused on what you're trying to say about how if he keeps looking like garbage how his price tag would rise lol. I sure the hell wouldn't pay him nearly as much now as I would have directly after the MVP season.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How would the cost rise if he continues looking like garbage?? Inflation sure, but the cap inflates too to match that. So I'm really confused on what you're trying to say about how if he keeps looking like garbage how his price tag would rise lol. I sure the hell wouldn't pay him nearly as much now as I would have directly after the MVP season.

because he's proven he's a franchise QB - form is temporary, class is permanent

at this point his pricetag will only rise as the cap rises and other guys get deals... it's completely independent of his play

he would have to, over a significant period of time, demonstrably prove that he can no longer lead a team to lose money - that's how the NFL QB market works... that's how kirk cousins of all people gets a nearly entirely fully-guaranteed contract (first of it's kind in the NFL) and also resets the QB market

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
because he's proven he's a franchise QB - form is temporary, class is permanent

at this point his pricetag will only rise as the cap rises and other guys get deals... it's completely independent of his play

he would have to, over a significant period of time, demonstrably prove that he can no longer lead a team to lose money - that's how the NFL QB market works... that's how kirk cousins of all people gets a nearly entirely fully-guaranteed contract (first of it's kind in the NFL) and also resets the QB market

Yes, playing slightly above trash across two years definitely increased his price tag

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's not playing nearly bad enough to be costing himself money at this point. And if you wait 2 years, the cap will probably be 20%+ higher than current year.

Think of the contracts that have been given to players who's best years are what Lamar has shown you the last two years.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's not playing nearly bad enough to be costing himself money at this point. And if you wait 2 years, the cap will probably be 20%+ higher than current year.

Yeah, so that means it would equal in value as if we were paying him now. 40 million now vs 50 million then, but (just throwing numbers out) 200 million now and 210 million then. Where’s the difference in numbers? It’s 10 million both ways

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He was mediocre last year and mediocre this year

that's just patently untrue
  • he was good-not great the first part of 2020 and then put the team on his shoulders down the stretch when we completely changed the offence
  • in 2021 he was pretty unbelievable through the first 9 weeks of the season before this dramatic downturn in form the last month or so
early 2021 might be the best he's ever played... better than his MVP season... how is that in any way mediocre lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, so that means it would equal in value as if we were paying him now. 40 million now vs 50 million then, but (just throwing numbers out) 200 million now and 210 million then. Where’s the difference in numbers? It’s 10 million both ways
OK, but I feel pretty confident that the Owners of the business would be very much inclined to pay $10M less for the same output.
It's not just a salary cap environment. Real businesses, like NFL teams, don't do "salary cap accounting" for actually running the business. The salary cap is mostly just like a Monopoly board game-like system that the NFL adopts for internal management.

Businesses want to pay as little as they can for the most output they can. So if they can save $10M+ by signing a deal now vs later, than so be it.

Plus, if Lamar wins MVP again in 2022 and/or the Ravens win a SB, he's then officially in the Mahomes price range. See Joe Flacco for that one.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

And if he continues tanking, he's perfectly in the Joe Flacco situation then. Stuck with mediocre QB play

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And if he continues tanking, he's perfectly in the Joe Flacco situation then. Stuck with mediocre QB play

so what...
your suggestion is that we what? let him play out his 5th year and then let him leave?

his contract is never going to be cheaper than it is this offseason so we have 3 choices:

1) give him a contract this offseason
2) give him a more expensive contract in future offseasons
3) don't give him a contract

3 is never going to happen... so on a purely pragmatic basis, it's better to do number 1 than number 2

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Unless Lamar wins a Super Bowl next year is the needle really moving that much further away from 40 mil a year? I’d be pumped to have Lamar on the books next year for 23 million and make the deal next off season

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
so what...
your suggestion is that we what? let him play out his 5th year and then let him leave?

his contract is never going to be cheaper than it is this offseason so we have 3 choices:

1) give him a contract this offseason
2) give him a more expensive contract in future offseasons
3) don't give him a contract

3 is never going to happen... so on a purely pragmatic basis, it's better to do number 1 than number 2

I think sizzle brings up a fair concern with the Flacco contract. Why not take one additional year to asses Lamar Vs locking yourself in long term? If Lamar wins a super bowl than great , bite the bullet pay him Mahomes money. If he maintains his currently trajectory , great pay him a little more than we would have anyways this off-season. If he continues this odd slump and somehow regresses further, great bullet dodged franchise him or move on

Last edited:

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Hot take - Lamar has regressed this year because he’s seeing ghosts