• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
When the cap raises by 5M to match, I mean I really don’t see a difference there. You have 100M to start, pay a guy 40, you have 60. Cap raises to 105, pay a guy 45, and it’s still 60. Basic math of inflation
That's just salary cap. The salary cap isn't real.

Would you be OK if Bisciotti came to you and asked you to pitch in for the extra $5M a year for the guy, so you can feel more comfortable in the decision? The general public has always been outstanding at telling rich people what to do and not do with their money. They've just never been outstanding at actually making it themselves, or making good decisions with their own money.

Also, if I have $100M now, and I spend $40, and that 40 is flat for 4-5 years (it isn't, but assume that it is), when the Cap goes to $105, I now have 65 instead of 60. That's called a good thing. Because the cap went up while compensation for the player stayed flat.

Hence why I've been advocating for more flattened contract structures for large contracts.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Dude what are you going on about? Have you forgotten how succesful Joe was early in his career? Flacco first four seasons
13-6(2008)
10-8
13-5
13-5( 2011, fuck you cundfif)

Lamar’s a beast and on his way to the greatest Ravens Qb, but Flacco won a ton of games early in his career , just as Lamar has. His regression didn’t start until injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was successful, however the defense played a major part in Joe's career. We had dominant defenses up until Ray got injured and Joe wasn't exactly taken late in the draft, he was chosen 18th overall. Flacco won a super bowl and that is great and I'm a Flacco fan, but I wouldn't call him an elite QB, which Lamar is absolutely that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
so if you're going to give him full credit for the losses in the playoffs atleast give him credit for the wins he has had during the season.

No, of course the offensive line didn't play any roll in the losses. Absolutely ridiculous how short our memories are. We would be pathetic without Lamar and that is the truth, especially the last couple years with our pathetic offensive line, yet we made the playoffs last year with 11 wins and we have 8 wins this year and lead the division. How many teams would want that. Obviously people on these boards are blind or want perfection all the time. Remember those games we came back in, well we wouldn't have without Lamar.

Am I pissed at how people are reacting. You get I am. So ridiculous

Simba

Staff Member
It's not even a debate - you pay Lamar and live with what you get. If it falters, oh well. But you can't not see this through. You built an entire offensive system around one guy. If you move on from him, you start a massive rebuild, especially with all of the draft capital put into the skill positions.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
so if you're going to give him full credit for the losses in the playoffs atleast give him credit for the wins he has had during the season.

No, of course the offensive line didn't play any roll in the losses. Absolutely ridiculous how short our memories are. We would be pathetic without Lamar and that is the truth, especially the last couple years with our pathetic offensive line, yet we made the playoffs last year with 11 wins and we have 8 wins this year and lead the division. How many teams would want that. Obviously people on these boards are blind or want perfection all the time. Remember those games we came back in, well we wouldn't have without Lamar.

Am I pissed at how people are reacting. You get I am. So ridiculous

And I’m pissed that the guy absolutely sucks in the playoffs. Touché

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
And I’m pissed that the guy absolutely sucks in the playoffs. Touché
really, did the offensive line have anything to do with it. Did the defense have anything to do with it or is it all Lamar's fault.

In 2020 when we lost to the Titans in the playoffs. Lamar was 31-59 for 365 yards passing and 20 carries for I43 yards rushing. The offensive had 530 yards.

Clearly Lamar sucked in this game. Clealy

It was obviously Lamar Jackson that gave up 195 rushing yards on 30 carries to Derrick Henry.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It was the same OL, defense and WRs he had the entire season
It may have been the same OL, but you obviously don't remember Roman came in with a completely different game plan than he did all of the season also.

Also, Did the defense have anything to do with it or is it all Lamar's fault.

In 2020 when we lost to the Titans in the playoffs. Lamar was 31-59 for 365 yards passing and 20 carries for I43 yards rushing. The offensive had 530 yards.

Clearly Lamar sucked in this game. Clearly

It was obviously Lamar Jackson that gave up 195 rushing yards on 30 carries to Derrick Henry.

If this is what sucking looks like, I'd like this all the time

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
It may have been the same OL, but you obviously don't remember Roman came in with a completely different game plan than he did all of the season also.

Also, Did the defense have anything to do with it or is it all Lamar's fault.

Clearly Lamar sucked in this game. Clearly

If this is what sucking looks like, I'd like this all the time

I got straight owned on this one folks. Good W Mania

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
This whole thing started as a discussion of pay Lamar now Vs next year Vs Franchise Lamar in year 6. Somehow it morphed into:
1. if you don’t think we should pay Lamar now you must hate him.
2. If we don’t pay Lamar now the world ends and it’s a full on rebuild.
3. There is no alternate reality in which we win games without Lamar Jackson.
4. Joe Flacco was a shit QB who was carried for his entire 11 years with the organization.

The only person to provide a reasonable response was a RMCjacket. Which makes sense and kinda got me on board with paying him this off-season Vs next.

Some folks inability to have a nuanced discussion is truly amazing.

Simba

Staff Member
This whole thing started as a discussion of pay Lamar now Vs next year Vs Franchise Lamar in year 6. Somehow it morphed into:
4. Joe Flacco was a shit QB who was carried for his entire 11 years with the organization.

The only person to provide a reasonable response was a RMCjacket. Which makes sense and kinda got me on board with paying him this off-season Vs next.

I don't think people were missing out on that. The simple reality is that Lamar is getting paid one way or another regardless of whatever shortcomings he might be showing right now. If it's after this season, great. If it's beyond this offseason, still great but likely more expensive.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
really, did the offensive line have anything to do with it. Did the defense have anything to do with it or is it all Lamar's fault.

Clearly Lamar sucked in this game. Clealy

Was also Lamar that abandoned a run game that was breaking off chunks, it was Lamar that dropped a long touchdown and 2 or 3 more crucial first downs.

Lamar didn’t play well situationally in that game, but he and Hollywood were the only ones who got off the bus that night.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

What @Simba said. The longer you wait, the more you pay him, and we’re gonna pay him regardless. To suggest we wait to pay him, is to suggest we wait to “see what we got” with him.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
baseline is probably minimum 40/yr and more likely looking at 43+/yr

Probably in that ballpark but he has not looked the part the past month which is the only worry. I am not saying do not pay him that, but if I am the Ravens at this point I pause negotiations until I see a few games next year to make sure the past month was just a blip due to the roster going down.