• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Probably in that ballpark but he has not looked the part the past month which is the only worry. I am not saying do not pay him that, but if I am the Ravens at this point I pause negotiations until I see a few games next year to make sure the past month was just a blip due to the roster going down.
I'd rather pay him what he deserves and a few games during the middle of this year doesn't take away what he has done and how important he is to this team. What we have done with all the missing pieces is absolutely incredible. Most teams with the amount of important players that have been on IR would have no more than 3 or 4 wins. Pay the man.

Probably in that ballpark but he has not looked the part the past month which is the only worry. I am not saying do not pay him that, but if I am the Ravens at this point I pause negotiations until I see a few games next year to make sure the past month was just a blip due to the roster going down.
If I'm Lamar Jackson and the team says "we're gonna hang on and see if you're worth the money", I'm saying "I was the unanimous MVP in 2019, I carried this team for half the season, my body of work is constant upwards progress, endless broken records and a skillset unmatched by any other player in the league. If that's not enough then fuck you, now I cost extra because the trust is gone and I'm looking out for myself."

He might not be as petty as me though.

Tank

Hall of Famer
If I'm Lamar Jackson and the team says "we're gonna hang on and see if you're worth the money", I'm saying "I was the unanimous MVP in 2019, I carried this team for half the season, my body of work is constant upwards progress, endless broken records and a skillset unmatched by any other player in the league. If that's not enough then fuck you, now I cost extra because the trust is gone and I'm looking out for myself."

He might not be as petty as me though.
Just for the purpose of discussion....... Has Lamar had constant upwards progress? Is his passing skillset on par with other top QBs? Has he displayed the level emotional intelligence to succeed under tournament pressure?

While there's no question he has often been the most exciting player in the NFL during the regular season, these could be valid questions to come up while negotiating a vet contract. And it also may be they've already decided to pay him regardless. Definitely an interesting situation.

To follow on; Is there a team out there now that would compete in a FA bidding war? If so, who?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just for the purpose of discussion....... Has Lamar had constant upwards progress? Is his passing skillset on par with other top QBs? Has he displayed the level emotional intelligence to succeed under tournament pressure?

While there's no question he has often been the most exciting player in the NFL during the regular season, these could be valid questions to come up while negotiating a vet contract. And it also may be they've already decided to pay him regardless. Definitely an interesting situation.

To follow on; Is there a team out there now that would compete in a FA bidding war? If so, who?

literally every team without a franchise QB is bidding on Lamar if he ever were to become available... maybe even some teams with a franchise qb tbh too

to answer your questions:
Yes he has got continuously better every year
Yes his passing skill set is on par with other top QBs
Not sure what you even mean here with regard to his emotional intelligence

and in terms of the team - they’ve made it clear since the offseason that they know they’re gonna be paying him and paying him a metric fuckton of money - so yeah I’d say that decision has already been made

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Well, off the top of my head...
Denver, Houston, Washington, Carolina, New Orleans, Detroit, Pittsburgh. Those seven teams don't have anything even remotely resembling a franchise QB on their roster, nor do they really have the means to think they'll get one anytime soon, so those teams would have blank checkbooks open for Lamar 10 seconds after he was even vaguely discussed as being "available".

And that's just seven teams. Then there's the teams that kind of have QBs, but would gladly take the opportunity to look for upgrades if they could. That list includes Miami, Las Vegas, Cleveland, NY Giants, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Minnesota. And I'm probably shortening this list more than I should.

That's at least 13 teams that I see that would show immediate interest.

And he's better than a lot of teams QBs that they have (like Wentz, Tannehill, etc.), it's just a question of whether those teams would go after him or could afford to do so. Then you also bring in teams like the Jets, 49ers, Bears, etc., who recently drafted young QBs, but I think would be super fine moving them for a guy like Lamar without hestitation.

Basically half the league is the floor to me.

The only teams I would say that wouldn't show interest:
New England, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, LA Chargers, Kansas City, Dallas, Tampa, Green Bay, Arizona, Seattle and LA Rams.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
literally every team without a franchise QB is bidding on Lamar if he ever were to become available... maybe even some teams with a franchise qb tbh too

to answer your questions:
Yes he has got continuously better every year
Yes his passing skill set is on par with other top QBs
Not sure what you even mean here with regard to his emotional intelligence

and in terms of the team - they’ve made it clear since the offseason that they know they’re gonna be paying him and paying him a metric fuckton of money - so yeah I’d say that decision has already been made
and he deserves every penny he is going to get......this offseason.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
At this point I’ve moved on to how we pay Lamar and fill other team needs(OL,DL,CB,LB, RB). Also, what happens if some of our key guys on IR suffer a set back? Will our RBs still be explosive post recovery? We’re going to need some contingency plans that should start in feee agency. I’m really curious how the Ravens will structure Lamar’s future cap hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
At this point I’ve moved on to how we pay Lamar and fill other team needs(OL,DL,CB,LB, RB). Also, what happens if some of our key guys on IR suffer a set back? Will our RBs still be explosive post recovery? We’re going to need some contingency plans that should start in feee agency. I’m really curious how the Ravens will structure Lamar’s future cap hits.

Draft, draft and more draft. Mostly only one way to build a roster when you have a QB taking up a large chunk of the cap.

Veteran free agent signings at relatively cheap prices, and hitting on a lot of draft picks.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

That’s what the draft is for, and that’s why stockpiling draft capital is important.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Draft, draft and more draft. Mostly only one way to build a roster when you have a QB taking up a large chunk of the cap.

Veteran free agent signings at relatively cheap prices, and hitting on a lot of draft picks.

I completely agree. The lone exception is the offensive line. Seems counterintuitive to pay Lamar and then trot out a similar line with our fingers crossed Stanley or James are able to play. Seems like a recipe for disaster if we don’t make a trade or hit free agency hard for the Oline.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
That’s what the draft is for, and that’s why stockpiling draft capital is important.

This is the problem with drafting in the back end of round 1. Hard to find many day 1 starters on the Oline , which is the biggest need to protect Lamar.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I completely agree. The lone exception is the offensive line. Seems counterintuitive to pay Lamar and then trot out a similar line with our fingers crossed Stanley or James are able to play. Seems like a recipe for disaster if he don’t make a trade or hit free agency hard for the Oline.

Well, the kinds of players generally available in FA, especially at Tackle, are the Villaneuva-type players. If there were good Tackles available, they either get traded, like Orlando Brown, or teams pay them, because they're so hard to find.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I completely agree. The lone exception is the offensive line. Seems counterintuitive to pay Lamar and then trot out a similar line with our fingers crossed Stanley or James are able to play. Seems like a recipe for disaster if we don’t make a trade or hit free agency hard for the Oline.

Exactly. Which is why I have so much disagreement with those who are fine with not trying to improve this line. It's not good enough. You want our QB beaten apart, who by the way we're gonna end up paying a ton of money to? Want him busted up like Cam Newton? Then keep saying you don't think this line needs vast improvement, because that's what you're gonna end up getting

Exactly. Which is why I have so much disagreement with those who are fine with not trying to improve this line. It's not good enough. You want our QB beaten apart, who by the way we're gonna end up paying a ton of money to? Want him busted up like Cam Newton? Then keep saying you don't think this line needs vast improvement, because that's what you're gonna end up getting
But literally no-one says we shouldn't try to improve the line - that's a strawman. People DO say that at least part of the improvement will come from players already on the roster getting healthy, and younger players getting better. But literally everyone here thinks we should at very least draft a tackle at some point.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Who is fine with not trying to improve the OL though? There’s a thread in the draft section with a vote for “what will be the most discussed area of need come draft time” and OL is the overwhelming majority

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This is the problem with drafting in the back end of round 1. Hard to find many day 1 starters on the Oline , which is the biggest need to protect Lamar.

Players of all positions succeed and bust all the time and it often has nothing to do with which number they were drafted at, the more shots you take the more hits you’ll land, across all rounds, we just need to stop passing on guys like onwenu for guys like bredeson.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who is fine with not trying to improve the OL though? There’s a thread in the draft section with a vote for “what will be the most discussed area of need come draft time” and OL is the overwhelming majority

I was getting some flack when I said this unit needs improvement big time. Was told that we probably wouldn't touch line until mid rounds at best and that we already have the majority of the pieces in place. I ain't in the business of calling people out, but it happened.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
But literally no-one says we shouldn't try to improve the line - that's a strawman. People DO say that at least part of the improvement will come from players already on the roster getting healthy, and younger players getting better. But literally everyone here thinks we should at very least draft a tackle at some point.
Bingo. Tackle needs improvement. That'll come from somewhere else, most likely.

People that want 4 new starters on the Oline, mostly from players not on the roster currently, better make damn sure that Lamar is playing like Madden-level greatness next year, because he'll need to score 30-35 a game to keep up with a defense that will lose a lot of starters and get nothing more than mid-to-late round replacements and veteran cast offs.