• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. I don't think the Ravens would have hesitated to pick up Hollywood's option. It really wasn't their decision to deal him, and the 5th year option for him wouldn't have been that expensive anyway. They didn't pick up the option because they traded him before they had to. They didn't trade him because they didn't want to pay him next year.
2. Really don't see why the franchise tags are too expensive. If the Ravens think they're too expensive, then why are you signing him long term? His long term cap hits are going to be every bit as expensive, if not more-so. Not like you can sign a guy to a $45-50M AAV contract and not have years where he'll count at least that much.
1. It wasn’t the cost of the 5th year option, it was the cost of the follow on contract. Ravens FO was smart to deal him now while he had value and easily afffordable for another team under that option. Hollywood knew we weren’t paying, so he and DeCosta worked out a great trade for both sides. He didn’t want to leave becuase of the offense, that’s fabricated nonsense to based on the amount of targets and career year he had. It was always about the money.

2.Because you simply don’t field a quality team when one player is costing 35-38 million against your cap. Assuming that’s the range of the 2024 tag. Exclusive version costing closer to 43-45mil. In 2024 I’m guessing something like 39-41 and 49-52. That’s not sustainable. Atleast on a long term deal you can adjust those cap hits an move money around .The real issue is the Watson contract. I imagine that screwed everything up as the Ravens were likely offering something slightly better than the Josh Allen contract before that. Ravens are not in a position to match/ improve on the Watson offer. So again , if Lamar draws that line in the sand, I really wouldn’t be surprised he is gone after playing out his 5th year option and one tag. Not sure why anyone thinks a second tag is guaranteed either at that cost.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. It wasn’t the cost of the 5th year option, it was the cost of the follow on contract. Ravens FO was smart to deal him now while he had value and easily afffordable for another team under that option. Hollywood knew we weren’t paying, so he and DeCosta worked out a great trade for both sides. He didn’t want to leave becuase of the offense, that’s fabricated nonsense to based on the amount of targets and career year he had. It was always about the money.

2.Because you simply don’t field a quality team when one player is costing 35-38 million against your cap. Assuming that’s the range of the 2024 tag. Exclusive version costing closer to 43-45mil. In 2024 I’m guessing something like 39-41 and 49-52. That’s not sustainable. Atleast on a long term deal you can adjust those cap hits an move money around .The real issue is the Watson contract. I imagine that screwed everything up as the Ravens were likely offering something slightly better than the Josh Allen contract before that. Ravens are not in a position to match/ improve on the Watson offer. So again , if Lamar draws that line in the sand, I really wouldn’t be surprised he is gone after playing out his 5th year option and one tag. Not sure why anyone thinks a second tag is guaranteed either at that cost.
1. Did he? Because by all accounts, it was he didn't want to be here because he didn't like the offense. I don't think its a smart assumption to presume the Ravens weren't going to pay him. Regardless, it seems you're assuming he's not here because both parties knew they weren't going to pay him. And I don't think that's rooted in anything factual.
I don't think they'd ever franchise tag him, and I think they'd let him test the market too. Could be a Mosley situation where they get outbid.
2. Again, a lot presumptuous. What's the salary cap in 2024 or 2025? If it's $240-250M, why is $40M a huge problem? Why is $50M a huge problem?
For those keeping track, the reigning SB champs spent $44.7M on one QB last year. That's because Stafford cost $20M and Goff, who wasn't on the roster, cost $24.7M. And that was on a salary cap of $182.5M.
I don't disagree on Watson. But the Watson deal isn't prohibitive because of AAV or even length. It's prohibitive because he blew the doors off guaranteed money AND got a fully guaranteed deal.
You can scroll through my messages on this before, but I clearly said if Lamar wants 5 years of guarantees at the Watson price, and he won't budge, I'd trade him today.
That's a secondary conversation from the franchise tags though. I don't think the Ravens will have any problem franchising him for two years. I think it will absolutely hamstring what they can do in FA, with potential FAs, etc., but I think they'll do it anyway, because nobody in either of those classes is as important to the success of the team as Lamar.
That doesn't mean blank check book. It just means they're realistic.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. Did he? Because by all accounts, it was he didn't want to be here because he didn't like the offense. I don't think its a smart assumption to presume the Ravens weren't going to pay him. Regardless, it seems you're assuming he's not here because both parties knew they weren't going to pay him. And I don't think that's rooted in anything factual.
I don't think they'd ever franchise tag him, and I think they'd let him test the market too. Could be a Mosley situation where they get outbid.
2. Again, a lot presumptuous. What's the salary cap in 2024 or 2025? If it's $240-250M, why is $40M a huge problem? Why is $50M a huge problem?
For those keeping track, the reigning SB champs spent $44.7M on one QB last year. That's because Stafford cost $20M and Goff, who wasn't on the roster, cost $24.7M. And that was on a salary cap of $182.5M.
I don't disagree on Watson. But the Watson deal isn't prohibitive because of AAV or even length. It's prohibitive because he blew the doors off guaranteed money AND got a fully guaranteed deal.
You can scroll through my messages on this before, but I clearly said if Lamar wants 5 years of guarantees at the Watson price, and he won't budge, I'd trade him today.
That's a secondary conversation from the franchise tags though. I don't think the Ravens will have any problem franchising him for two years. I think it will absolutely hamstring what they can do in FA, with potential FAs, etc., but I think they'll do it anyway, because nobody in either of those classes is as important to the success of the team as Lamar.
That doesn't mean blank check book. It just means they're realistic.
We heard DeCosta say Hollywood didn’t want to be here because of the scheme fit….. I’ve heard DeCosta say alot of things that weren’t true to maintain an advantageous position. I guess its all irrelevant now anyways, worked out well for both sides. I’m very pumped for Linderbaum and Hamilton.

For Lamar, at this point assumptions are all we have. Lamar and the FO are both handling it like professionals. Time will tell what’s really going on.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
We heard DeCosta say Hollywood didn’t want to be here because of the scheme fit….. I’ve heard DeCosta say alot of things that weren’t true to maintain an advantageous position. I guess its all irrelevant now anyways, worked out well for both sides. I’m very pumped for Linderbaum and Hamilton.

For Lamar, at this point assumptions are all we have. Lamar and the FO are both handling it like professionals. Time will tell what’s really going on.

I think it was more the scheme fit than money. He was complaining since his second year and Hollywood himself said it was the way he was used in the offense AFTER being traded. He didn't have to go out of his way for that.

Simba

Staff Member
I think it was more the scheme fit than money. He was complaining since his second year and Hollywood himself said it was the way he was used in the offense AFTER being traded. He didn't have to go out of his way for that.
I mean it’s gotta be related. Might be about the scheme fit but down the line, that’s about the money too. He doesn’t want out just to catch more deep balls and that’s that. He wanted out to catch more deep balls which parlays into that big deal.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Hollywood said that, not just DeCosta. There's a reason why Hollywood thanked them for trading him and was glad it happened. That's not normal player reaction when a team is trading you because they don't want to afford you.
Would we have signed him long-term? Nobody knows. My guess is he at least hits the market. But the 5th year option was a lay-up decision. Not really that expensive and he more-than-earned it.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hollywood said that, not just DeCosta. There's a reason why Hollywood thanked them for trading him and was glad it happened. That's not normal player reaction when a team is trading you because they don't want to afford you.
Would we have signed him long-term? Nobody knows. My guess is he at least hits the market. But the 5th year option was a lay-up decision. Not really that expensive and he more-than-earned it.
I didn’t really follow Hollywood’s side, just heard DeCosta on The Lounge bring it up

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Could be, but the fact we turned one potentially over priced WR into two starters on rookie contracts is an amazing win for the organization.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Could be, but the fact we turned one potentially over priced WR into two starters on rookie contracts is an amazing win for the organization.
two? We traded our 1st and 3rd for the 23rd pick in the 1st round. We then traded down from 23 to 25 and acquired a 4th rounder. So we essentially traded a 1st and flipped our 4th for our 3rd rounder. We traded Hollywood for Linderbaum on a rookie deal, which is tremendous. The 4th rounder ended up being Stout.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Id much have hollywood back if this is gonna be our starting trio of wrs
there is a difference having Hollywood and a disgruntled Hollywood. At this point, I'd prefer Linderbaum.

I also wish Hollywood well and hope he tears it up in AZ.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
two? We traded our 1st and 3rd for the 23rd pick in the 1st round. We then traded down from 23 to 25 and acquired a 4th rounder. So we essentially traded a 1st and flipped our 4th for our 3rd rounder. We traded Hollywood for Linderbaum on a rookie deal, which is tremendous. The 4th rounder ended up being Stout.
Very true I had grouped the entire first round together, Hamilton had nothing to do with Hollywood. I suppose you could say we did get a second starter in Stout and his bro flow

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Very true I had grouped the entire first round together, Hamilton had nothing to do with Hollywood. I suppose you could say we did get a second starter in Stout and his bro flow
not really because we would have had that 2nd player from the 3rd rounder that ultimately became a "pick swap" (4th rounder). No saying who that would have been though.

We did get a retirement out of the deal though

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am not sure how many times we can talk about the same thing. Lamar will sign when the time comes.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
there is a difference having Hollywood and a disgruntled Hollywood. At this point, I'd prefer Linderbaum.

I also wish Hollywood well and hope he tears it up in AZ.

I have a feeling he won't and I am not sure why I feel this way. I loved him here and I agree that he wasn't really highlighted at times until we had to come from behind (PAUSE YO)

It is also true that he would get into his own head and drop some dimes thrown his way. I'd argue he left another 3TDS on the table and a few hundred yards because of his drops.

His day against the Lions was AWFUL

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have a feeling he won't and I am not sure why I feel this way. I loved him here and I agree that he wasn't really highlighted at times until we had to come from behind (PAUSE YO)

It is also true that he would get into his own head and drop some dimes thrown his way. I'd argue he left another 3TDS on the table and a few hundred yards because of his drops.

His day against the Lions was AWFUL
I want Hollywood to be successful also, but I think the pressure is going to get to him and he'll underperform till the #1 WR comes back to release some stress off him.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I want Hollywood to be successful also, but I think the pressure is going to get to him and he'll underperform till the #1 WR comes back to release some stress off him.

I think he’s Gon be fine (fantasy wise). He’s gonna get target

Tank

Hall of Famer
I think it was all about the money moving forward(2nd contract). Brown knew the Ravens didn’t value his skill set as much as maybe another team would. IMO all the talk about the scheme thing was about giving him a graceful exit.

Bottom line is it seems the Ravens filled a big hole in the line without having to sell the farm and Hollywood gets to play #1 with his college bud, at least for 5 games.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
So I haven’t been following the no show news. Any apparent reason why Lamar isn’t at OTAs? It does seem very odd, not like he’s an aging veteran trying to save his bullets.