• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
This is insanity if true. Just disrespectful to our QB1 and Lamar if this is true. I am shocked he still wants to negotiate with us in good faith...
I think it is true. EDC all but confirmed that the NFLPA leaked something real, and I assume they are the "source with knowledge of the negotiations" Clark was referring to.

It's not a great offer and it's no surprise Lamar didn't sign. If the Ravens don't increase that offer they don't deserve a long term QB - they'll be easily outbid on the trade market.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I think it is true. EDC all but confirmed that the NFLPA leaked something real, and I assume they are the "source with knowledge of the negotiations" Clark was referring to.

It's not a great offer and it's no surprise Lamar didn't sign. If the Ravens don't increase that offer they don't deserve a long term QB - they'll be easily outbid on the trade market.
Why do you assume that info came from the NFLPA? What I read from the NFLPA was they advised Lamar that he was justified in asking for a fully guaranteed contract, nothing about numbers.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
Because EDC basically confirmed the leak in the presser.
And it wasn't that LJ was asking for fully guaranteed?

Edit; I stand corrected. It may have been from the NFLPA and the $133 mil. AT SIGNING was the number leaked. It seems that is quite a bit more than Russ and Kyler got. I think what is missing for some here is that there are other "injury guarantees" in the contract that kick in after a couple of years that raise what is considered "fully guaranteed ".

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

The misunderstandings about the difference between fully guaranteed and total guarantees in the media and on this board is so disappointing

Lamar was offered 133m fully guaranteed (2nd most ever behind Watson)
Lamar was offered 160-180m in total guarantees (2nd most ever behind Watson)

People keep comparing the 133m number with kyler’s total guarantees which were 160ish

You can suggest they didn’t offer enough but the idea that they are somehow disrespecting him with their offers so far doesn’t pass the smell test

I still think the 133 and the 160-180 numbers both need to increase to get Lamar to sign but they’re both the biggest non-Watson numbers in nfl history

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Let's be real. NFL Live on ESPN essentially has no misses from host (baddest baddie in the game, debate your pillow, not hearing it) to ALL of the analysts. RC is :fire: :flame:, Orlovsky is :fire: :flame:, Spears is :fire: :flame:, and Mina Kimes is :fire: :flame:.

Especially since they started doing film sessions too - they’ve realised that doing hot take shit with no film to back it up is fucking infuriating and boring

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
The misunderstandings about the difference between fully guaranteed and total guarantees in the media and on this board is so disappointing

People keep comparing the 133m number with kyler’s total guarantees which were 160ish

You can suggest they didn’t offer enough but the idea that they are somehow disrespecting him with their offers so far doesn’t pass the smell test

I still think the 133 and the 160-180 numbers both need to increase to get Lamar to sign but they’re both the biggest non-Watson numbers in nfl history
And lamar wants the biggest watson numbers in NFL history

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

See that's the thing. Fully guaranteed or not, I'm not sure is the problem for Lamar. I think Lamar knew good and well that he deserved a bigger contract than Watson. Watson has been a bad guy who hadn't played in years and when came back stunk up the joint.

I understand one teams mistake doesn't mean now everyone has to make mistakes, but I think Lamar thinks it's crazy he was offered less than Watson.

I do not know if this is reconcilable. The Ravens think they have a very large offer in place (they do, second largest ever) and Lamar says that's cute but I'm way better than the guy at number 1.

Simba

Staff Member
See that's the thing. Fully guaranteed or not, I'm not sure is the problem for Lamar. I think Lamar knew good and well that he deserved a bigger contract than Watson. Watson has been a bad guy who hadn't played in years and when came back stunk up the joint.

I understand one teams mistake doesn't mean now everyone has to make mistakes, but I think Lamar thinks it's crazy he was offered less than Watson.

I do not know if this is reconcilable. The Ravens think they have a very large offer in place (they do, second largest ever) and Lamar says that's cute but I'm way better than the guy at number 1.
And no one can blame Lamar for that line of thinking. But I also think he has to realize that there comes a point where that line of thinking becomes unrealistic, which is likely when Burrow and/or Herbert sign and he sees they don’t get that either. Weird situation where I think he’s in the right to hold out for it, but also getting some bad advice being so staunch in those big numbers. Which is why I still feel like there’s got to be a middle ground, and it’s just going to take both sides making concessions to get there. That’s the hard part though.

Tank

Hall of Famer
And no one can blame Lamar for that line of thinking. But I also think he has to realize that there comes a point where that line of thinking becomes unrealistic, which is likely when Burrow and/or Herbert sign and he sees they don’t get that either. Weird situation where I think he’s in the right to hold out for it, but also getting some bad advice being so staunch in those big numbers. Which is why I still feel like there’s got to be a middle ground, and it’s just going to take both sides making concessions to get there. That’s the hard part though.
Exactly, only that line of thinking was always unrealistic.

If Lamar had an agent advising him he would have known that, and again, I think he would have been extended back in September, probably making more $ in the long run as there would have been increases last year. Who knows what the season would have brought if that had happened, but I think with things settled he probably performs a lot better not having it weigh on him.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
Exactly, only that line of thinking was always unrealistic.

If Lamar had an agent advising him he would have known that, and again, I think he would have been extended back in September, probably making more $ in the long run as there would have been increases last year. Who knows what the season would have brought if that had happened, but I think with things settled he probably performs a lot better not having it weigh on him.
Can I call my good agent Kim?

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I posted this on Reddit, but here we go again...

The most important number is the guaranteed AT SIGNING, not the total guarantees. The total guarantees are a really great fluff number for the Ravens to puff their chest on and say, "See, we offered a lot of money!" But the truth is, we have zero idea how the contract was structured. It very well could have been one of those "if you're on the team on the fifth day of the league year, it becomes guaranteed" deals where the team almost assuredly cuts your ass to avoid paying that money. Without knowing the structure, we just simply don't know how good the deal was for Lamar and how likely he was to see the entirety of the guaranteed money.

Take Tyreek Hill's deal as an example of why reported numbers don't matter.

Tyreek Hill signed for four years and $120M. That's crazy money. However, he's out of guaranteed money after this year, bringing the total to $75M total earned. In the final year of his deal, he's due $45M and the Dolphins save that much by cutting him. Who here thinks Hill is staying on the Dolphins with a $50M cap hit and earning that $45M? He's 100% going to be extended or outright cut because the Dolphins are 100% not paying that $45M.

Again, on paper, $120M is a TON, but he won't sniff that. Similarly, $180M guaranteed is great and all, but without knowing the structure, it's simply a fluff number to get people behind the Ravens.

And for what it's worth- I think contracts should be fully guaranteed for everyone, even if it would require an adjustment on salaries overall. Billionaire owners are profiting off of these players putting their bodies and brains on the line every game. Given they'll cut a player to save a dime without a moments notice, players should absolutely milk the organization for every penny they can get.
Is this another school project? Well done!

Simba

Staff Member
I think the big thing Lamar has to realize right now is that he has the leverage. He has us over a barrel because our options are basically Lamar or hope you hit on someone else.

But that leverage can flip so quickly once Burrow or Herbert get a deal.

And it behooves the Ravens to just admit that the Browns fucked us. You might not need to give Lamar fully guaranteed, but you have to pay more to get him to sign now. And I know I’m not thinking like an owner when I say this, but it’s an opportunity to fuck everyone else. If Lamar gets big money, that extends to all of your rivals too - Bengals, Chargers, probably the Chiefs, etc.

Basically, both sides have a short window to get what they want.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I think the big thing Lamar has to realize right now is that he has the leverage. He has us over a barrel because our options are basically Lamar or hope you hit on someone else.

But that leverage can flip so quickly once Burrow or Herbert get a deal.

And it behooves the Ravens to just admit that the Browns fucked us. You might not need to give Lamar fully guaranteed, but you have to pay more to get him to sign now. And I know I’m not thinking like an owner when I say this, but it’s an opportunity to fuck everyone else. If Lamar gets big money, that extends to all of your rivals too - Bengals, Chargers, probably the Chiefs, etc.

Basically, both sides have a short window to get what they want.
I think he had the leverage last summer, and that’s why the Ravens offered him the huge contract they did, second only to Watson. Given his injury this year I’m not sure that leverage is as strong as it was, with the Ravens or any other team.

Simba

Staff Member
I think he had the leverage last summer, and that’s why the Ravens offered him the huge contract they did, second only to Watson. Given his injury this year I’m not sure that leverage is as strong as it was, with the Ravens or any other team.
He’s got just as much if not more leverage now. Doesn’t matter than he got hurt. He’s still getting paid by someone even if it isn’t us.

Tank

Hall of Famer
He’s got just as much if not more leverage now. Doesn’t matter than he got hurt. He’s still getting paid by someone even if it isn’t us.
You think so? Even though he missed all of those games last year as well?
You may be right that he’ll get paid more elsewhere, but if the reports of what the Ravens offered are correct I seriously doubt they increase it. I guess anything is possible with another team.

Simba

Staff Member
You think so? Even though he missed all of those games last year as well?
You may be right that he’ll get paid more elsewhere, but if the reports of what the Ravens offered are correct I seriously doubt they increase it. I guess anything is possible with another team.
Yeah a guy that had 20+ sexual assault cases against him had multiple suitors and one that gave him fully guaranteed. Injuries aren’t stopping a team from giving Lamar big money.