• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
There's no positive storyline that can come out of the rest of these playoffs for Lamar. Some are worse than others.

In the squarely horrible bin:
Hurts wins the SB. Everyone will think Hurts is the new greatest QB of all time when he actually sucks. Lamar is the far better player and it's not particularly close. But if the Eagles do it, they beat Lamar to Lamar's game. Shame on the Ravens.

Burrow wins the SB. An AFC North team wins it. Smug ass Burrow and Bengals fandom become even more annoying. Burrow is now the king (he kind of already is just look at Colin C). This one would just hurt so much. We were loads better than them.

In the totally sucks bin:
Mahomes wins a second SB. He becomes a HOF in just his 6th season. Lamar has one playoff win in 5 seasons. Mahomes gets out in the TB12 category and people begin to play the will he catch him game.

In the oh what could have been bin:
49ers bring home a SB with Mr Irrelevant at the helm. Meaning an elite QB isn't required at all to win the SB which would absolutely buck the trend of recent and medium term history. All because you have a top defense and top running game with a little creativity in the pass game. The 49ers were just the Ravens of the NFC with a competent play caller and WR room.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sadly, we're not competing against a team-friendly deal Mahomes signed in the past. We're competing against what Lamar could reasonably expect on the open market. (Or open market+ franchise tags).
The Ravens will never offer Lamar a 100 % fully guaranteed deal. He will have to look at an imbecilic team like the Browns to get that deal.
The Jets are in that category.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dez is so right "his playmaking ability which I believe made some of those coaches lazy"

For 4 years all Roman did was run Lamar on all the 3rd & 4th downs and every big play. It's shocking that he managed to stay in his job so long when "Lamar, do something" was his answer to every problem.

I’ve said this time and time again. The offense is “Lamar do something”

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hard to believe. It’s just unfortunate dumb luck but another reason I struggle to understand why some guys are so secure signing Lamar long term

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Totally recognize that a high ankle sprain is not at all as bad as a PCL sprain. However, high ankle sprains are also NO JOKE.

Mahomes being fucking iron man has added so much insult to injury to the Jackson situation

Edit for clarity.
Reddit has become a cess pool over this topic

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Totally recognize that a high ankle sprain is not at all as bad as a PCL sprain. However, high ankle sprains are also NO JOKE.

Mahomes being fucking iron man has added so much insult to injury to the Jackson situation

Edit for clarity.
Reddit has become a cess pool over this topic
I saw some folks on Twitter saying that was a dirty hit but I thought it was a normal football play.

I don’t hold it against Lamar for not being able to play. Is what it is , an inch this way or an inch that way and the roles could be reversed for the two

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I saw some folks on Twitter saying that was a dirty hit but I thought it was a normal football play.

I don’t hold it against Lamar for not being able to play. Is what it is , an inch this way or an inch that way and the roles could be reversed for the two
Completely reasonable take

Tank

Hall of Famer

You can never hold an injury against a player, but also it would be foolish(contract wise) not to recognize the fact that some are more easily injured than others and also affected differently. Given the way the Ravens have been seriously burned in the past by big contract injuries they are keenly aware of the risks.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I posted this on Reddit, but here we go again...

The most important number is the guaranteed AT SIGNING, not the total guarantees. The total guarantees are a really great fluff number for the Ravens to puff their chest on and say, "See, we offered a lot of money!" But the truth is, we have zero idea how the contract was structured. It very well could have been one of those "if you're on the team on the fifth day of the league year, it becomes guaranteed" deals where the team almost assuredly cuts your ass to avoid paying that money. Without knowing the structure, we just simply don't know how good the deal was for Lamar and how likely he was to see the entirety of the guaranteed money.

Take Tyreek Hill's deal as an example of why reported numbers don't matter.

Tyreek Hill signed for four years and $120M. That's crazy money. However, he's out of guaranteed money after this year, bringing the total to $75M total earned. In the final year of his deal, he's due $45M and the Dolphins save that much by cutting him. Who here thinks Hill is staying on the Dolphins with a $50M cap hit and earning that $45M? He's 100% going to be extended or outright cut because the Dolphins are 100% not paying that $45M.

Again, on paper, $120M is a TON, but he won't sniff that. Similarly, $180M guaranteed is great and all, but without knowing the structure, it's simply a fluff number to get people behind the Ravens.

And for what it's worth- I think contracts should be fully guaranteed for everyone, even if it would require an adjustment on salaries overall. Billionaire owners are profiting off of these players putting their bodies and brains on the line every game. Given they'll cut a player to save a dime without a moments notice, players should absolutely milk the organization for every penny they can get.
So this is largely true.
However, for the top-tier QB contracts, most of the roster bonuses that automatically vest do so a year in advance in most cases, not the year of.
So that makes it exponentially more likely that they become fully guaranteed, because the franchise would have to decide nearly 12-18 months in advance if they wanted to move on.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What's also crazy is that 10 division games between last season and this year were after Thanksgiving. Just dumb luck.

When it’s naturally more likely you’ll have picked up an injury

I get why it’s appealing to schedule makers to backload some division games but it also can lead to these awful late season slop-fests and potentially meaningless division games like week 18

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
When it’s naturally more likely you’ll have picked up an injury

I get why it’s appealing to schedule makers to backload some division games but it also can lead to these awful late season slop-fests and potentially meaningless division games like week 18
Divisional games always mean something. BEAT UP YOUR IDIOT RIVALS

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
There's no positive storyline that can come out of the rest of these playoffs for Lamar. Some are worse than others.

Hurts wins the SB. Everyone will think Hurts is the new greatest QB of all time when he actually sucks. Lamar is the far better player and it's not particularly close. But if the Eagles do it, they beat Lamar to Lamar's game. Shame on the Ravens.

Burrow wins the SB. An AFC North team wins it. Smug ass Burrow and Bengals fandom become even more annoying. Burrow is now the king (he kind of already is just look at Colin C). This one would just hurt so much. We were loads better than them.

Mahomes wins a second SB. He becomes a HOF in just his 6th season. Lamar has one playoff win in 5 seasons. Mahomes gets out in the TB12 category and people begin to play the will he catch him game.

49ers bring home a SB with Mr Irrelevant at the helm. Meaning an elite QB isn't required at all to win the SB which would absolutely buck the trend of recent and medium term history. All because you have a top defense and top running game with a little creativity in the pass game. The 49ers were just the Ravens of the NFC with a competent play caller and WR room.
All scenarios described are preferred over Burrow and the bengals

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator

eh I think the bengals winning it is 1000x worst than al other outcomes combined

we had 5 years of Lamar ball to win it and failed to do so. wouldn't mind the eagles at all showing how to do correctly and maybe that moves the needle for us acquiring wrs or their OC

rossihunter2

Staff Member
eh I think the bengals winning it is 1000x worst than al other outcomes combined

we had 5 years of Lamar ball to win it and failed to do so. wouldn't mind the eagles at all showing how to do correctly and maybe that moves the needle for us acquiring wrs or their OC

Yeah I honestly don’t mind any of the 3 other teams winning it all

Thinking I’ll probably be rooting for the 49ers but ultimately don’t care as long as it’s not the bengals…