• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also because the ravens have typically not pulled offers off the table in the past
So while I'm not necessarily buying this "nephew's" account, I think there's a huge difference in offering him that 3 year deal today vs a month or two from now.
A 3 year deal leaves very little cap maneuverability. Like pretty much his cap hit this year in that type of deal has to be at least what the franchise tag value is, if not a little bigger. Possibly as high as $35-40M. That's something you have to plan for before FA opens, and not something you can easily absorb in April or May.

So I can very much see the Ravens making a 3 year offer like this in early March, but being unable to do that deal later on in the offseason, assuming they plan to be at least mildly active in FA.

But I'm skeptical the Ravens have made this offer to begin with. It's a really bad deal for the Ravens.

Yeah the absolute only way to move forward IF he’s staying, is to sign the latest offer on the table and put it all behind us.

Lamar, I look forward to seeing the chip on your shoulder after this, assuming you remain in Baltimore
Well if he stays that humble pie can leave a bad taste. I just hope he focuses that chip on his shoulder toward other teams.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If lamar declined some shit like that, he is fking crazy. If he believes in himself, which i think he does, no way they offered that and he declined it
Well, if he's not lying, then fully gtd doesn't matter to him. What might matter more is total gtd, i.e. getting more than Watson.

Even though its fully gtd, $150M would be less in total gtd $ than what Wilson and Murray got. The difference is Lamar can be a FA again in 2026, and he'll be in extension talks with the Ravens again in either 2024 or 2025.

Also why I hate this deal for the Ravens. Provides basically no cap flexibility, and you're back at the negotiating table with him again in like 18 months.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I just think all of this is jockeying and gamesmanship on the part of other teams. Any of them would take Lamar, but none of them will know what they need to provide until they talk to Lamar. Maybe they have and his demands are simply unreasonable, as some have said they might be all along. Who knows. But, certainly, saying they are not interested while covertly talking to him thru any channel they can manage is possible too. Who wants all the attention, mostly negative, of this contract negotiation? That's why the Ravens did the exclusive tag in the first place. And if we always did have the best offer, given all involved know what we HAVE offered, then our pal Lamar needs to eat some humble pie. Not knocking him, just saying that we were all ok in him betting on himself, but if he lost that bet then he needs to take our deal and runs with it.

Not knocking him, just saying that we were all ok in him betting on himself, but if he lost that bet then he needs to take our deal and runs with it.
Well I had concerns about him betting on himself. There is always a risk of injury and if anyone thinks that hasn’t worked against him in these negotiations they’re wrong. Especially considering he missed games at the end of 21. Yes he was an MVP 3 years ago, and yes our team is better with him, but not being able to answer the bell for the playoff game hurt big time. Harbaugh was visibly frustrated with his injury situation. I give Lamar the benefit of doubt on the injury but it hurt him. His negotiating position was weakened. Had Lamar had an agent would they have gotten a deal done before the season started?

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah the absolute only way to move forward IF he’s staying, is to sign the latest offer on the table and put it all behind us.

Lamar, I look forward to seeing the chip on your shoulder after this, assuming you remain in Baltimore
To be fair a second tag just became more affordable if we wanted to go that route next year as well, not ideal but today was a big win for the Ravens financially

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly I am not surprised so many teams are out on Lamar. He is a great player but no one is going to throw significant guaranteed money at a mobile QB who has taken big injuries the past 2 seasons and has not been near that MVP level in either of them, save for a 3 game stretch this season. Basically if there is going to be another team to make the same blunder as the Browns it would need to be on a player who does not have the injury history Lamar does and is playing at the level of Burrows or Herbert.
Funny how quick we forget Lamar ended the last two seasons missing significant time while also not playing well down the stretch. But ya know collusion and what not

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
To be fair a second tag just became more affordable if we wanted to go that route next year as well, not ideal but today was a big win for the Ravens financially
Ehh, I don't see it as an option.

We're going to see what market value is this year. I suppose if Lamar plays fabulous and wins like SB MVP, its an option, but short of that, we're going to find out what market value is this year. If we can't come to terms on an agreement this year, I'm probably just tagging and trading next year.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Funny how quick we forget Lamar ended the last two seasons missing significant time while also not playing well down the stretch. But ya know collusion and what not

It’s the fact that teams made it public their disinterests of Lamar. It’s one thing to not be in on him and not say anything. It’s the fact that they all came out and said it, within an hour of the tag announcement. Just felt coordinated. They wanted to send a message to every player.. “we ain’t doing that fully guarantee bullshit.” lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Plus, the great news is... I think essentially "all will be revealed" in the next 4-5 months. 100% expect at least one or maybe two teams to submit offer sheets (not sure when). We'll of course get to see the details of those, so we'll know what other teams think.

We'll also quickly get to figure out a) whether the Ravens are in that space, based on how they react to the deal, and b) more importantly, it's going to become much more clear what Lamar's position is. If he keeps rejecting deals that are similar or in the ballpark of the Ravens, we'll know its because he either wants large gtd $ or fully gtd $. There won't be much speculation left at that point.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s the fact that teams made it public their disinterests of Lamar. It’s one thing to not be in on him and not say anything. It’s the fact that they all came out and said it, within an hour of the tag announcement. Just felt coordinated. They wanted to send a message to every player.. “we ain’t doing that fully guarantee bullshit.” lol
Could be. Also think the fans who think they haven't "talked to Lamar" are being incredibly naive. I think every team in the league has a strong understanding of what type of contract Lamar is looking for. And those teams don't seem to be willing to give it to him.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just another fun thing potentially coming out of this

Also why I think the Dolphins are a tough sell. Not only do they have to wait two months to put in an offer sheet, but they also then have to go back to Tua after they publicly do it, if they get denied for Lamar, and tell him "yeah, we have confidence in you". It's one thing to let the media speculate about QB upgrades. Its another for the GM to submit a literal contract offer for somebody better.

Teams taking this step, I would think, are guys who aren't worried about alienating whatever QBs are on the roster.

Simba

Staff Member
Also why I think the Dolphins are a tough sell. Not only do they have to wait two months to put in an offer sheet, but they also then have to go back to Tua after they publicly do it, if they get denied for Lamar, and tell him "yeah, we have confidence in you". It's one thing to let the media speculate about QB upgrades. Its another for the GM to submit a literal contract offer for somebody better.

Teams taking this step, I would think, are guys who aren't worried about alienating whatever QBs are on the roster.
And further, only one team can sign him to an offer sheet. Lamar doesn’t have to sign any of the offers of course, but feels unlikely something like that happens later in the process if it does. If someone is going for Lamar, I would guess it would be pretty quickly.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

Could also be a rebuke of agent-less Lamar himself...

Tank

Hall of Famer
Most likely is they were responding to questions from fans/reporters or other posts saying they were possible landing spots for Lamar.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
No doubt It was collusion by the NFL owners, but it seems pretty clear the NFLPA was doing the same. But all the players are on the high horse today acting like they are victims.