• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

You are letting your love for Jackson and hate for Flacco get in the way of your rational football mind
No he’s basing it off what he’s seen Flacco do for years now. I chuckle every time I would hear announcers say “where’s the sense of urgency?” and I’m like “I guess you’ve never covered one of our games before”

Well if Flacco can put together a drive like at the end of the saints game then sure I’d take him. But he’s just as likely to not do that...

Jackson could probably get us the 30-40 yards that tucker needs with his legs alone...
And all I could think after Tucker missed the pat was how we squandered what had seemingly become a rare event and that was a 2 minute drill TD when we needed it.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
I dont think it's fair to say Flacco has played poor this year that three game skid was not all his fault Carolina out game planned us and we always split with the Steelers it's rare for either team to take both games

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
I dont think it's fair to say Flacco has played poor this year that three game skid was not all his fault Carolina out game planned us and we always split with the Steelers it's rare for either team to take both games

Rothlisberger and other qbs get passes for bad games. Not joe.

“But his stats suck”

Which is more a testament to the teams he played on than his overall skill set

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Have you bums posted anything besides your disdain for Lamar? Or did you all just come here to bitch cause your favorite player has played like trash the majority post SB?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Haven’t watched the video yet - what exactly do you mean by this? No mobile qb has ever looked downfield and looked to pass like he does? Does Russel Wilson not exist? Just to name one

They were comparing him to run-first type scramble qbs and remarking that Lamar is nothing like any of them because almost none of his runs come from scrambles - guys like kap, RGIII etc. all had designed runs but also had a high propensity to look for the first read and then run if it was taken away

Russell Wilson is different in the sense that he doesn’t have those designed runs built in so much and almost all of his running production is scrambles but he’s always looking downfield too

Lamar is like no one else because he combines the running ability of those traditional run-first qbs with the scramble to pass type style of Russell Wilson

Cam newton is probably philosophically the most similar to Lamar but he’s so different stylistically it’s hard to really call that a comparison

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
They were comparing him to run-first type scramble qbs and remarking that Lamar is nothing like any of them because almost none of his runs come from scrambles - guys like kap, RGIII etc. all had designed runs but also had a high propensity to look for the first read and then run if it was taken away

Russell Wilson is different in the sense that he doesn’t have those designed runs built in so much and almost all of his running production is scrambles but he’s always looking downfield too

Lamar is like no one else because he combines the running ability of those traditional run-first qbs with the scramble to pass type style of Russell Wilson

Cam newton is probably philosophically the most similar to Lamar but he’s so different stylistically it’s hard to really call that a comparison
Ahh makes sense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ahh makes sense.

I’ve added context because a lot of their examples and comps were stupid

After saying all the nuanced things they went and mentioned their pre-draft comps which were kap and Vick and instantly I realised that the whole video was them trying to get ahead of everyone pointing out that their evaluation for Lamar at the draft and in college was utter shit

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I’ve added context because a lot of their examples and comps were stupid

After saying all the nuanced things they went and mentioned their pre-draft comps which were kap and Vick and instantly I realised that the whole video was them trying to get ahead of everyone pointing out that their evaluation for Lamar at the draft and in college was utter shit
There must have been a good dose of an attempt to explain why their stats and ratings do not work at all in this case.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There must have been a good dose of an attempt to explain why their stats and ratings do not work at all in this case.

Nope - just vague sentiments about how the offence was currently difficult for defensive schemes to solve before next season

The only real mention of rushing was that he rushed more than all bar 4-5 rbs since he started at qb

But no attempt to justify the run game grade with that info - just vague overarching ideas about how flacco is “obviously” the much better qb but might not be the best person for the team’s effectiveness

Frankly it’s bizarre that they never rationalise it

Tru11

Practice Squad
Rothlisberger and other qbs get passes for bad games. Not joe.

“But his stats suck”

Dude got a pass from the start of his career till about 4 weeks ago.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I don't know what universe you are living in where the fanbase and experts were giving Joe a pass, but it damn sure is not here
I know it wasn't everyone, but I gave Joe passes up until 2016 and after that, I just couldn't ignore the consistently poor play he was putting up from 2016 onward.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
So you're excuse for why Flacco played poorly is that Carolina did their job by designing a gameplan that challenged Joe's strengths and heightened his weaknesses and that the Ravens always just split with Pitt, so we should expect Joe to play poorly?

This is why people have such an issue with apologists...

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
No, Joe absolutely does this to himself lately. Up until 2016, I'd have to agree with this- the weapons just weren't there and Joe was one of the prettiest deep ball throwers in the NFL. However, after that ACL tear, Joe has been utter garbage a lot of the time with shoddy mechanics, piss poor reads, and horrendous accuracy.

No, this isn't a team issue that most of us harp on- it is a Joe Flacco issue. No, I do not care about the stats. I thought Joe was top 10 when he'd never put up 30 touchdowns of 4,000 yards. I do not consider 2016 to be a great Flacco year just because he put up 4300 yards. I do not care how many yards he puts up; I care about his play on the field and it has left A LOT to be desired from an individual standpoint.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
No, Joe absolutely does this to himself lately. Up until 2016, I'd have to agree with this- the weapons just weren't there and Joe was one of the prettiest deep ball throwers in the NFL. However, after that ACL tear, Joe has been utter garbage a lot of the time with shoddy mechanics, piss poor reads, and horrendous accuracy.

No, this isn't a team issue that most of us harp on- it is a Joe Flacco issue. No, I do not care about the stats. I thought Joe was top 10 when he'd never put up 30 touchdowns of 4,000 yards. I do not consider 2016 to be a great Flacco year just because he put up 4300 yards. I do not care how many yards he puts up; I care about his play on the field and it has left A LOT to be desired from an individual standpoint.

Injuries took their toll for sure. Even the stouchest Flacco apologist will admit Flacco’s play has dropped since the knee and back injuries. But enough of his old self remained that I was optimistic about this year. It started off well enough, but the lack of a running game to keep defenses honest and the issues on the offensive line exposed the offense and Joe at his best would have struggled, let alone Joe right now.

If you read my comments I’m mostly of the mind that it’s time to move on based solely on age and injury history as far as Joe is concerned. I just don’t appreciate other posters who don’t take the time to honestly examine the factors that injury and offensive personnel and system have played in the past three years of Joe’s career. Three significant to major injuries in three years is a lot to overcome and Joe to his credit has pushed through them but his play definitely has suffered. And it’s also true that the team in general was flawed and the offensive side of the ball didn’t get nearly as much attention as the defensive side.

There is a big difference between “Joe has his time but he seems past his prime” and “joe always sucked and we should have moved on years ago like we are now”

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
So you're excuse for why Flacco played poorly is that Carolina did their job by designing a gameplan that challenged Joe's strengths and heightened his weaknesses and that the Ravens always just split with Pitt, so we should expect Joe to play poorly?

This is why people have such an issue with apologists...

It’s undeniable though that we really haven’t since 2014 tried or succeeded to build an offense around Joe that plays to his strengths while managing his limits.

Two things can be true at the same time. Joe’s play dropped after the injuries but the offense also have continually been flawed, and I’ll never understand why the FO gave Joe all that money and than didn’t focus on building around him to get the most out of their investment

I sincerely hope Lamar gets treated better and doesn’t get used and abused