• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I agree with this too. Of course it’s not an exact science, receivers running bad routes, pressure, and balance on offense are factors that really do affect a quarterbacks ability to play effectively - for example it’s sometimes hard to gauge on different plays “ok was that a bad pass or did was the route different from what the quarterback expected” (even if the receiver runs the right route and Joe throws the ball at the wrong place because he was expecting a different route , I’m just pointing out that’s slightly different than being inaccurate). But there’s also been just bad reads and bad throws because mainly Joe’s been rushing and uneasy since then injury in mechanics and reading the defense
As Joey pointed out, Flacco has had some very good games in the past where the team just let him down. The team succeeding and Joe playing well can be mutually exclusive.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
So you're excuse for why Flacco played poorly is that Carolina did their job by designing a gameplan that challenged Joe's strengths and heightened his weaknesses and that the Ravens always just split with Pitt, so we should expect Joe to play poorly?

This is why people have such an issue with apologists...

I feel like you just changed what he said to fit your narrative.

Carolina game planned around the Ravens offensive weaknesses, but the Ravens did not focus on the weaknesses of Carolina which was due to a poor gameplan.

It stums me how little the Ravens were game planning in their TEs when Flacco is one of largest TE users in NFL.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
As Joey pointed out, Flacco has had some very good games in the past where the team just let him down. The team succeeding and Joe playing well can be mutually exclusive.

I fell in love with Joe in 2009 against the Vikings when he was getting killed but kept delivering dimes in the second half and led the team back from like a twenty point deficit, only for the kicker to miss the GWFG at the end.

I know other quarterbacks have had issues with drops and bad teams , I just know Joe’s had so many Game Winning Drives spoiled by drops and missed kicks. So sad

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
I’m excited to see Lamar against the chiefs. Even if I have doubts about him long term, this game is going to be intriguing just based on the matchups

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
This may be bat shit crazy but I'm curious if we could go an entire game or series with both on the field instead of just one but both behind center now that would throw defenses off

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
I think this team is at it's best with both on the field and I think that's the way we go moving forward maybe Joe starts but Lamar could go in for a series or be more of a threat now that he has been throwing the ball idk there are so many possibilities

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
I think this team is at it's best with both on the field and I think that's the way we go moving forward maybe Joe starts but Lamar could go in for a series or be more of a threat now that he has been throwing the ball idk there are so many possibilities

If we make the playoffs I think playing both becomes a real possibility honestly.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I know it wasn't everyone, but I gave Joe passes up until 2016 and after that, I just couldn't ignore the consistently poor play he was putting up from 2016 onward.
I gave him a pass until the end of last season and even if we made the playoffs I would have wanted a change. No disrespect to Joe, it’s just time.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This may be bat shit crazy but I'm curious if we could go an entire game or series with both on the field instead of just one but both behind center now that would throw defenses off
Joe just stands there and the other team knows he isn’t doing anything. We’d be better with him off the field or RG3 on the field.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Maybe I’m biased but I can’t think of another quarterback who’s had so many game winning drives foiled by dropped passes and missed field goals
I agree there, it’s a goddamn shame, his prime was really hurt by drops and poor pass protection and injured secondaries coughing up leads. 2011 with a catch on a perfectly placed ball is a SB berth, we had a SB berth and win the next year(in spite of 2 crucial drops late @Den that was made up for in miracle fashion), 2013 we had one of the worst offensive lines I have ever seen in football and a mass exodus killed us, 2014 the offense finally came together around joe and he played excellent and we would’ve cruised to a super bowl win had we not had Elam, Lewis, Stewart, gorrer, etc. starting at cb/s in the playoffs. We got hot last year and if the defense gets off the field in 4th and 12 we very well could’ve made a bit of a run because we weren’t an easy beat late last season, same in 2016.

I understand joe spent his whole career trying to pick up a turd by the clean end, but there comes a point where you gotta look at what he’s been paid, what he’s produced, and what he has prevented us from doing. A qb making THAT money shouldn't need everything perfect around him to make it past .500

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
I agree there, it’s a goddamn shame, his prime was really hurt by drops and poor pass protection and injured secondaries coughing up leads. 2011 with a catch on a perfectly placed ball is a SB berth, we had a SB berth and win the next year(in spite of 2 crucial drops late @Den that was made up for in miracle fashion), 2013 we had one of the worst offensive lines I have ever seen in football and a mass exodus killed us, 2014 the offense finally came together around joe and he played excellent and we would’ve cruised to a super bowl win had we not had Elam, Lewis, Stewart, gorrer, etc. starting at cb/s in the playoffs. We got hot last year and if the defense gets off the field in 4th and 12 we very well could’ve made a bit of a run because we weren’t an easy beat late last season, same in 2016.

I understand joe spent his whole career trying to pick up a turd by the clean end, but there comes a point where you gotta look at what he’s been paid, what he’s produced, and what he has prevented us from doing. A qb making THAT money shouldn't need everything perfect around him to make it past .500

I mostly agree. To me it’s more that he’s past his prime and seems to be showing his age at least as far as being more injury prone.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I feel like you just changed what he said to fit your narrative.

Carolina game planned around the Ravens offensive weaknesses, but the Ravens did not focus on the weaknesses of Carolina which was due to a poor gameplan.

It stums me how little the Ravens were game planning in their TEs when Flacco is one of largest TE users in NFL.
I posted my reply- Carolina is expected to try to exploit the Ravens' weaknesses while downplaying the strengths. That's every single team. That doesn't excuse Joe or anyone else playing poorly.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I fell in love with Joe in 2009 against the Vikings when he was getting killed but kept delivering dimes in the second half and led the team back from like a twenty point deficit, only for the kicker to miss the GWFG at the end.

I know other quarterbacks have had issues with drops and bad teams , I just know Joe’s had so many Game Winning Drives spoiled by drops and missed kicks. So sad
Joe really became my guy when the Ravens made the playoffs. I hadn't really been much of a football fan to that point, but I was from Baltimore and a lot of people in my classes liked football, so I started watching. Making the playoffs and going far really cemented the Ravens for me. After that, I just absorbed everything I could like Joe would a hit. Dude was and still is, in my mind, the toughest SOB in the league at quarterback.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
I posted my reply- Carolina is expected to try to exploit the Ravens' weaknesses while downplaying the strengths. That's every single team. That doesn't excuse Joe or anyone else playing poorly.

I think what he’s saying is the game plan on Marty’s sake wasn’t good and the playcalling was questionable

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Yes and the Ravens ars expected to game plan to both their strengths and their opponents weaknesses, but for some reason thry did neither.

Yes Brown is very fast, but you can't make the entire game plan based around that.