• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Tru11

Practice Squad

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
So you're excuse for why Flacco played poorly is that Carolina did their job by designing a gameplan that challenged Joe's strengths and heightened his weaknesses and that the Ravens always just split with Pitt, so we should expect Joe to play poorly?

This is why people have such an issue with apologists...
The entire team not just Joe the entire team our D was bad too period the entire team did that's what I mean about out game planned the entire team was

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
It’s undeniable though that we really haven’t since 2014 tried or succeeded to build an offense around Joe that plays to his strengths while managing his limits.

Two things can be true at the same time. Joe’s play dropped after the injuries but the offense also have continually been flawed, and I’ll never understand why the FO gave Joe all that money and than didn’t focus on building around him to get the most out of their investment

I sincerely hope Lamar gets treated better and doesn’t get used and abused
We drafted 18 million dlineman in that time and gave perriman 100 chances never did we try and find a RB after ray rice or try to get good WRs I really do hope they set things up around Lamar

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
Have you bums posted anything besides your disdain for Lamar? Or did you all just come here to bitch cause your favorite player has played like trash the majority post SB?
Lol you caught me you must not have the ability to read I've said plenty of good things about Lamar and if he does start I fully support him and I think he should next year but I dont think he is ready this year...m normally when someone doesn't have anymore factual or good arguments they resort to these kind of comments and that's okay

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
Either way it goes I don't get off to the thought of Joe starting and I dont hate the thought of Lamar starting I just have an opinion opposite of most of you here yet I'm not attacking anyone just having conversation to pass by the week until Sunday I dont understand all the shade thrown in the flacco groups direction we arent throwing hateful shade at who believe Lamar should start why cant we all agree and disagree at the same time we may have differing opinions but we all want this team to win period and if you dont you shouldn't be here

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
I dont think the few of us who do still think Flacco should start have thrown any hateful or disrespectful shade at anyone here we have just argued our side of things either way none of our opinions matter and the team will do what the team is going to do on my opinion it's just supposed to be a fun debate between people who all love this team

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
There is a big difference between “Joe has his time but he seems past his prime” and “joe always sucked and we should have moved on years ago like we are now”
I will forever be grateful to Joe for what he did with the Ravens and I will still pound the table on him being top 10 from 2010-2012 and 2014, but the Joe we had in 2016 to present just wasn't the same Joe.

I would be thoroughly interested to see him without the ACL injury because I thought he was sneaky good in 2015 for how bad the season was, but unfortunately, we don't have an alternate dimension machine.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
It’s undeniable though that we really haven’t since 2014 tried or succeeded to build an offense around Joe that plays to his strengths while managing his limits.

Two things can be true at the same time. Joe’s play dropped after the injuries but the offense also have continually been flawed, and I’ll never understand why the FO gave Joe all that money and than didn’t focus on building around him to get the most out of their investment

I sincerely hope Lamar gets treated better and doesn’t get used and abused
Well, that depends on how you define building around him. The Ravens certainly DID try to build around Flacco, signing players like Wallace, Maclin, SSS, and this offseason, Brown, Crabtree, and Snead while also drafting players like Stanley and Lewis, who became starters, and getting *eventual starters* in Hurst and Andrews this off season. 2015 was a first round WR and second round TE, 2016 was a first round OL and a few offensive starters signed in the offseason, 2017 was a new WR added in the offseason, and 2018 was obviously very heavily favored for the offense with the first three picks being offense and three new receivers being signed.

I don't think it's fair at all to say the Ravens just hang Joe or the offense to dry. No, they aren't shelling out massive contracts for Ricky Wagner or KO, but they are making efforts with their high draft picks and their FA investments. Have all of them panned out? No, obviously not. But does that mean they aren't trying? No.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The entire team not just Joe the entire team our D was bad too period the entire team did that's what I mean about out game planned the entire team was
My point still is that I don't care if anyone else is playing fine, it doesn't excuse Joe or any player to have a bad game. The players can only control themselves.

If Joe was out there throwing dimes all over and the receivers dropped everything, I'd still consider that a good game regardless of stats or a W or how his receivers played.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
Well, that depends on how you define building around him. The Ravens certainly DID try to build around Flacco, signing players like Wallace, Maclin, SSS, and this offseason, Brown, Crabtree, and Snead while also drafting players like Stanley and Lewis, who became starters, and getting *eventual starters* in Hurst and Andrews this off season. 2015 was a first round WR and second round TE, 2016 was a first round OL and a few offensive starters signed in the offseason, 2017 was a new WR added in the offseason, and 2018 was obviously very heavily favored for the offense with the first three picks being offense and three new receivers being signed.

I don't think it's fair at all to say the Ravens just hang Joe or the offense to dry. No, they aren't shelling out massive contracts for Ricky Wagner or KO, but they are making efforts with their high draft picks and their FA investments. Have all of them panned out? No, obviously not. But does that mean they aren't trying? No.

That’s why I said try/succeeded

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
I will forever be grateful to Joe for what he did with the Ravens and I will still pound the table on him being top 10 from 2010-2012 and 2014, but the Joe we had in 2016 to present just wasn't the same Joe.

I would be thoroughly interested to see him without the ACL injury because I thought he was sneaky good in 2015 for how bad the season was, but unfortunately, we don't have an alternate dimension machine.

I agree with this. He still shows flashes of his old self but it isn’t consistent anymore. I honestly do think a change of scenery might be good for him though. I’ll root for him wherever he ends up next. Just not when he plays the Ravens lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I wanna say about 2015, that there were 2 games that he won for us with come from behind drives at the end of the game, against Denver week 1 and Arizona later on, perfectly placed highpoint right over Crockett Gilmore’s head, both times the ball was firmly clamped in both of Crockett’s hands, and he lost the ball.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
My point still is that I don't care if anyone else is playing fine, it doesn't excuse Joe or any player to have a bad game. The players can only control themselves.

If Joe was out there throwing dimes all over and the receivers dropped everything, I'd still consider that a good game regardless of stats or a W or how his receivers played.

I agree with this too. Of course it’s not an exact science, receivers running bad routes, pressure, and balance on offense are factors that really do affect a quarterbacks ability to play effectively - for example it’s sometimes hard to gauge on different plays “ok was that a bad pass or did was the route different from what the quarterback expected” (even if the receiver runs the right route and Joe throws the ball at the wrong place because he was expecting a different route , I’m just pointing out that’s slightly different than being inaccurate). But there’s also been just bad reads and bad throws because mainly Joe’s been rushing and uneasy since then injury in mechanics and reading the defense

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
That’s why I said try/succeeded
I understand, but that's not a fair metric. Trying and succeeding are two vastly different things. The Ravens could have shed cap from the defense and drafted zero players and still come out on top of the defensive rankings. That means they succeeded without "trying" by fan standards.

The Ravens could put all but $10M of the cap into the offense and finish last. They certainly tried hard, but didn't succeed. But at that point, it'd be very unfair to criticize the FO for ignoring the offense or just leaving the offense out to dry.

I always say that the Ravens could have Jerry Rice, Megatron, TO, Moss, Gronk, Gonzalez, Faulk, and Sanders, but if the Ravens didn't put up good stats, the receivers would be criticized and the FO would be maligned.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I agree with this. He still shows flashes of his old self but it isn’t consistent anymore. I honestly do think a change of scenery might be good for him though. I’ll root for him wherever he ends up next. Just not when he plays the Ravens lol
I'll always want the best for Joe. Maybe Jacksonville next season if they get the cap right or Denver.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
I wanna say about 2015, that there were 2 games that he won for us with come from behind drives at the end of the game, against Denver week 1 and Arizona later on, perfectly placed highpoint right over Crockett Gilmore’s head, both times the ball was firmly clamped in both of Crockett’s hands, and he lost the ball.

Maybe I’m biased but I can’t think of another quarterback who’s had so many game winning drives foiled by dropped passes and missed field goals

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Did you have to remind me? Those were absurdly painful and I'm still not over it now that you've brought it up again. Back to counselling...

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Maybe I’m biased but I can’t think of another quarterback who’s had so many game winning drives foiled by dropped passes and missed field goals
Probably Phillip Rivers in 2008 for FG's and I'd think Matthew Stafford on drops. His teams used to lead the league in drops.