• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

redrum52

Hall of Famer
How many “messy” contract negotiations have you seen involving the Ravens and an agent?
Hate to keep bringing this man up, but even with Flacco. Wasn't it reported they were shorting him before the SB run?

Think Suggs had to play on the tag. Reed stated he had his troubles. They let Ray test the market. I think all of those would have been "messy" if they did not have an agent or because teams or media will sling mud on the player. It's not like it's some crazy tactic we haven't seen through sports.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hate to keep bringing this man up, but even with Flacco. Wasn't it reported they were shorting him before the SB run?

Think Suggs had to play on the tag. Reed stated he had his troubles. They let Ray test the market. I think all of those would have been "messy" if they did not have an agent or because teams or media will sling mud on the player. It's not like it's some crazy tactic we haven't seen through sports.

Social media is the key difference. That and Joe is not a sexy topic to the media.

Simba

Staff Member
Yeah. I'm still not rocking with the agent thing but think he needs to speak with a better person/team. The way people say he needs an agent is just slightly funny to me like the agent always has their best interest at heart. Of course not everyone, but most of them are working with teams and media. If he's getting advice from the NFLPA cut them the hell off. Would also recommend finding better endorsement offers but that's up to him as well.

As long as he's fine with how this process is going who am I to judge? Again, none of us know what's truly going on behind the scenes.
I think all of the recent developments speak to why he does need an agent. If you’re using your business partner to call teams on your behalf because you’ve received no offers to this point, you definitely misread the market. An agent may not always have his best interests in mind in the totality of things, but an agent would not have let all of this madness happen.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah. I'm still not rocking with the agent thing but think he needs to speak with a better person/team. The way people say he needs an agent is just slightly funny to me like the agent always has their best interest at heart. Of course not everyone, but most of them are working with teams and media. If he's getting advice from the NFLPA cut them the hell off. Would also recommend finding better endorsement offers but that's up to him as well.

As long as he's fine with how this process is going who am I to judge? Again, none of us know what's truly going on behind the scenes.
Maybe not an agent but someone who is a professional. Lamar is ghetto as they come and so are his friends, do you man, but don’t bring that shit to the negotiating table. Leave that to the professionals.

Tank

Hall of Famer

Not sure if I recall all of the details about these guys, but Sizzle did play on the tag one year, tagged again and they then gave him the big record setting contract.

I don’t think Ed had an agent. Ray’s play was in decline, but he wanted a big raise so they let him test the waters. I don’t recall the Joe being shorted thing, I do remember his agent being labeled as a tough negotiator, so I could see him saying that.

I’m trying to understand what anyone thinks Lamar has gained by not having an agent.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe not an agent but someone who is a professional. Lamar is ghetto as they come and so are his friends, do you man, but don’t bring that shit to the negotiating table. Leave that to the professionals.

Not sure what this has to do with anything.

It's weird. And there's a few of you do that weirdo shit on here

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not sure if I recall all of the details about these guys, but Sizzle did play on the tag one year, tagged again and they then gave him the big record setting contract.

I don’t think Ed had an agent. Ray’s play was in decline, but he wanted a big raise so they let him test the waters. I don’t recall the Joe being shorted thing, I do remember his agent being labeled as a tough negotiator, so I could see him saying that.

I’m trying to understand what anyone thinks Lamar has gained by not having an agent.

Sizzle talked about how the fans treated him when he was going through the contract stuff. Had he played in this era, I know for a fact alot of you would not be happy.

Lamar does not necessarily gain anything by not having an agent. An agent in this case also doesn't guarantee we get this done quicker to make fans happy which is why I gave you some examples of messy situations with high profile QBs with agents.

As of now, it really has not been messy. With the exception of the media making a story of every single thing the Ravens do and Lamar does.

It's all fans and media at this point

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Seriously. We’ve now gotten to the point of personally attacking our QB1. Classy

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

It has a lot to do with the situation when you represent yourself Vs highly educated people. Why is it weird to call it like it is? My man barely has a grasp on the English language while the Ravens have a team of lawyers.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Seriously. We’ve now gotten to the point of personally attacking our QB1. Classy
Lol it’s not a personal attack is just reality and really not a big deal. I’d be willing to bet your white and that’s why you struggle to under this concept.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Lol it’s not a personal attack is just reality and really not a big deal. I’d be willing to bet your white and that’s why you struggle to under this concept.
Ah, so now you’re personally attacking other board members. Someone’s upset

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ah, so now you’re personally attacking other board members. Someone’s upset
Lol im not upset or attacking you. I’m just pointing out this isn’t some offensive thing. It’s just reality. But mostly it’s white liberals who get really strange and awkward when this kinda stuff is said. It’s cool man , we’re all going to make it.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Oh boy. This Lamar drama can’t end any sooner

Tank

Hall of Famer
Sizzle talked about how the fans treated him when he was going through the contract stuff. Had he played in this era, I know for a fact alot of you would not be happy.

Lamar does not necessarily gain anything by not having an agent. An agent in this case also doesn't guarantee we get this done quicker to make fans happy which is why I gave you some examples of messy situations with high profile QBs with agents.

As of now, it really has not been messy. With the exception of the media making a story of every single thing the Ravens do and Lamar does.

It's all fans and media at this point

Siz was going through the off the field stuff back then too. Truth be told, the bleach thing may have ended his career had it happened today.

My original point didn’t have anything to do with things being “messy”. My thought is that it’s highly possible had Lamar had an agent explaining the advantages he may have signed an extension a year or two ago. Who knows how different things would have been, including his on field performance.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
@BoredMarine13 what are you doing man
My guy, why is it such a crazy idea that Lamar’s lack of communication skills and cultural upbringing have negatively affected his negotiations with him representing himself?

It’s not a slight on Lamar, it’s just not a quality you want at the negotiating table. There’s a reason agents are all previous lawyers.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just let it go. He’s getting likes from @Tank. Tells you all you need to know lol
Idk who peed in your cheerios , I’m sending you a virtual hug regardless