• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harbaugh is saying he wants and loves Lamar and believes he'll be here etc just as strongly as he did the last time he spoke to the media. He wouldn't be doing that if he thought it was hopeless.

It seems like a misstep from Lamar to post that. If his intention is to try and force a trade, it would be an even bigger mistake, reducing his market from maybe 2 or 3 teams to 1 or 2 isn't going to pay financially.
And reducing what the Ravens can get for him

Bama Ravens

Veteran
I won’t be that sad if we move on from Lamar. He doesn’t want to be in Baltimore, and that’s fine. He’s not going to get what he wants from the Ravens or any other team, but if he is willing to take less money to play elsewhere then he can go ahead and do so. Appreciate what he did for the Ravens and wish him the best.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Curious..How will yall feel if he signs with another team for less money? Just because he wants to leave.
I'd have resolution, so I'm fine with it.
I think it would make a great case-study on how to completely mishandle a situation like this. Hold out for more $, get traded for less $ than you wanted and for something you declined 6-12 months previously.

Happens all the time in FA as players overestimate their market value, but this one would be extremely public.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Simba

Staff Member
Now my full thoughts...

I still find it hard to believe that this isn't some sort of negotiating ploy more than anything. I think Lamar fully expected that he'd hit the FA market and have people beating down the door, and now that that hasn't happened, he's trying to put things in motion by making it known that he actively wants to negotiate elsewhere.

I think the relationship is certainly damaged here, but I don't know that it's beyond repair yet. We know money talks. Lamar has an idea in his head of what he's worth. The problem becomes that no one has shown any inclination to give him that. So if this trade tweet works and teams start contacting him and he's finding that the money he wants isn't out there, what's his choice? Play on the tag, sit out, or take the still huge money deal.

Because meanwhile, the Ravens aren't trading him for any less than the two 1sts they'd get if he signed an offer sheet. Doesn't make sense for us to. So the Ravens hold the leverage here still. Sucks that Lamar went public with it but he's not in control here as much as he wants to be. He can only lose in the situation now, assuming he doesn't get the offer he wants. So far, it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Did Harbaugh not get the memo?

1. Actually, he didn't. Lamar tweeted this literally during his PC, so he didn't even see what Lamar said.
2. Again, as others have stated, requesting a trade and getting traded are two different things. We've seen players publicly request trades in the past, and then sign extensions with the teams they allegedly wanted to leave.

Much less profile, but Chuck Clark literally asked to be traded last year and played the whole season.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd have resolution, so I'm fine with it.
I think it would make a great case-study on how to completely mishandle a situation like this. Hold out for more $, get traded for less $ than you wanted and for something you declined 6-12 months previously.

Happens all the time in FA as players overestimate their market value, but this one would be extremely public.
It would make Lamar look the the fool he is.