• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
What if the Ravens, EDC, Lamar are playing 6D chess this whole time. Staged the entire controversy between Lamar & Ravens to do some epic Draft Day Mind Game where people think we will take a QB because of the Lamar thing but instead we get our guy we hoped to get and everyone else gambles wrong?

I can dream, I know.
I don't think people think we're really taking a QB (or at least not a starting QB). I think that happens if, and only if, Lamar is traded before the draft.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
He was probably here with or without OBJ. He has no options
What's funny is... the Odell contract is both a blessing and a curse. If he plays great, how do you keep him? He goes out and has a healthy, PB-level season, and he's a $20-22M annually receiver on a long term deal all day long. Even with void years, I struggle to see how you keep him if he plays great.

Long term, if we want him here, feels like the best case is for him to be like a solid #2 WR type. Somebody who may get 800-900 yards and score a good bit, but not a game wrecker.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
What's funny is... the Odell contract is both a blessing and a curse. If he plays great, how do you keep him? He goes out and has a healthy, PB-level season, and he's a $20-22M annually receiver on a long term deal all day long. Even with void years, I struggle to see how you keep him if he plays great.

Long term, if we want him here, feels like the best case is for him to be like a solid #2 WR type. Somebody who may get 800-900 yards and score a good bit, but not a game wrecker.
Right. And if he and Lamar ball out this year and you can't keep OBJ, Lamar might be super frustrated because his ability to be good here is tremendously reduced by not having a real WR1

Hr plays great, we get a 3/4 comp pick.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm not sure about that. Do you know how these void years work? I don't at all. I think it's actually a 4 year deal in the eyes of compensatory picks???

i think it depends on whether you adjusted the deal or not to add void years
if the initial deal has void years think it still counts for comp picks
if you later amend/restructure a deal to add void years then i think that then prevents you from getting comp picks

or something like that

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
My daughter woke my up from a brief slumber on the couch last night to inform me of the OBJ signing. This only means something with a decent QB. If Lamar is not traded before the draft or on draft day, he better be taking seriously that this IS his prove-it year and not dick around and hold out and not go to team drills, etc. If he wants to fully maximize the contract he feels he is capable of getting he needs to ball this season with no excuses or injuries (... that's beyond his control, but will negatively affect him getting what he wants, nevertheless...).

I'm a little dubious on OBJ, about as much as I was about Hopkins, just from the worries of injury standpoint. But there's a lot of upside with him if he stays healthy. I feel like we pulled a "Brownies Watson" to get him tho. That seems like a huge cap hit to take next year if we don't re-sign him and almost like we are signaling this is a make or break year for us as much as Lamar. I'm not sure we need to be in that zone...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ehh, maybe. I think too many people are drawing these Bennett to the Ravens comparisons based solely on the idea he played with Monken at Georgia. I'm not sure that means a whole lot.
it may not, but I could see taking a flyer on him due to knowing Monken's system. That being said, we only have 5 picks and if we don't trade back, we may not be taking a QB in the draft. I could see us brining one in as an UDFA.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I want to go on the record and state that with all the uncertainty and with everything that has gone wrong in these negotiations, I still really like Lamar and want him here long term. I just don’t want him at cap crippling “Watson money,” as IMHO that is just too crippling for us to try to get past a healthy Chiefs team. If Lamar is traded to the Colts, my head will explode, as I HATE that team!

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is a big reason why I hope we move on from Lamar after this year and why I was hoping someone would pony up two first and take him off our hands this year. We have selective memory of the good times , but reality was he wasn’t great the past few years. 2019 was amazing, but we shouldn’t be paying him based on that outlier. He is a good not great QB overall.
E2916BF5-62A1-4D23-8DAE-366B9A52790A.jpeg