• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

flynismo

Practice Squad
What the hell? I’m not telling you to compare stats for shits sake, just do the goddamn eye test, his passing and mechanics and just flat out ability look miles ahead of where they were in preseason, and this is against starting defenses, because the worst starting defense is better than the best preseason defense, and he looked astronomically better against the chiefs than he looked vs any 4th quarter preseason defense.

Spare me the fake outrage, will you? I'm not going to pretend that there has been some incredible transformation over the past couple months with Lamar.

flynismo

Practice Squad
Come on man. That ain't cool, and I'm far from being PC, but imagine if he saw this comment. Give the kid a break.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha! You are constantly talking out the side of your mouth about that "apologists" bullshit, but now you're righteous because someone said something about Lamar. Get the fuck over yourself dude, for real.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Spare me the fake outrage, will you? I'm not going to pretend that there has been some incredible transformation over the past couple months with Lamar.
First of all it wasn’t outrage, I was genuinely dumbfounded by what you said and I had a wtf kinda reaction

Secondly, nobody said he had an incredible transformation, just that he’s progressed by a shit ton from where he was at the HOF game. Which is the truth and I’m not sure what you’re seeing when you say he hasnt

flynismo

Practice Squad
i mean dude this is just being deliberately obtuse - there's a clear progression and improvement - watch the way his feet move, the way his mechanics work, the way he commands a huddle, the way he runs the zone-read, the way he reads down the field, the effectiveness of his ball fake, even the way he runs has improved, the way he passes too and tell me that he has not improved in every facet of his short career so far from college to his improvements next time we saw him in the HOF game to his improved play by the end of preseason week 4 - to his improved play series-series in the bills game in relief, to his improved play in the series vs the panthers (all the while he's been playing more and more snaps in the offence week by week), to his improved play in his first start vs the bengals and every game since he's got demonstrably better in some facet or another

he literally has showed improvements on a series to series basis

schematically he's doing similar things but the way he's doing them is drastically different

Okay, you guys are right. Lamar is incredible. I'm just too thickheaded to see what an amazing transformation has taken place in the short time has been here.

Will you guys stop crying now?

flynismo

Practice Squad
dude did i at any point in that post say he was incredible - im just disputing the idea that there's been no demonstrable improvement since week 1
I didn't say there was no demonstrable improvement since week 1. I asked a very simple question -- what progression has he shown since week 1. People here really need to stop putting words in my mouth.

On that note, you practically felated Lamar in your previous comment. You are doing more than just saying "some progress was made".

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
i mean dude this is just being deliberately obtuse - there's a clear progression and improvement - watch the way his feet move, the way his mechanics work, the way he commands a huddle, the way he runs the zone-read, the way he reads down the field, the effectiveness of his ball fake, even the way he runs has improved, the way he passes too and tell me that he has not improved in every facet of his short career so far from college to his improvements next time we saw him in the HOF game to his improved play by the end of preseason week 4 - to his improved play series-series in the bills game in relief, to his improved play in the series vs the panthers (all the while he's been playing more and more snaps in the offence week by week), to his improved play in his first start vs the bengals and every game since he's got demonstrably better in some facet or another

he literally has showed improvements on a series to series basis

schematically he's doing similar things but the way he's doing them is drastically different

Dude why do you get so butthurt any time someone is critical of Lamar?
Okay, you guys are right. Lamar is incredible. I'm just too thickheaded to see what an amazing transformation has taken place in the short time has been here.

Will you guys stop crying now?

No they won’t

redrum52

Hall of Famer
giphy.gif

flynismo

Practice Squad
Dude why do you get so butthurt any time someone is critical of Lamar?

No they won’t

The funny thing is, I wasn't even being critical of Lamar. I'm simply denying that there has been this massive progression that they are proclaiming.
It's comical at this point.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I didn't say there was no demonstrable improvement since week 1. I asked a very simple question -- what progression has he shown since week 1. People here really need to stop putting words in my mouth.

On that note, you practically felated Lamar in your previous comment. You are doing more than just saying "some progress was made".
He was 1-4 for 8 yards against Buffalo in clean up duty, and didn’t look like a capable starter in the least, not even close. He was way off the mark on his 3 incompletions, and genuinely did not look sharp mechanically. If we started THAT lamar against the bills week 1 we honestly may have lost that game. Preseason I think he had one deep attempt that was on the mark in 5 weeks, and that was into double coverage and Chris Moore made a great catch, he was still throwing ducks on basically any pass that traveled over 10 yards, he was far less willing to sit in the pocket, whipping throws off his back foot, etc.

Preseason/early season lamar was not an nfl caliber qb, and it was pretty obvious to tell, all of us who are mostly very high on lamar all agreed that he was far from ready, but that panthers drive showed a more refined and calmed and confident player than before and we all felt he would be ready soon. The coaches let lamar settle in and clean up his mechanics and get comfortable, and that’s exactly what he did, and for a rookie almost 3 months of learning in a calm practice environment can be huge in making a player feel comfortable when his time comes.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
The funny thing is, I wasn't even being critical of Lamar. I'm simply denying that there has been this massive progression that they are proclaiming.
It's comical at this point.

You aren’t being negative, critical just means thorough technically. ‍♂️

He is playing well, to say he’s better now than preseason is tough, I mean I hope a rookie qb progresses and learns and is better after four regular season games and tons of practice than he is in his first preseason game. You know what I mean?

I’m enjoying the ride but Lamar has a ways to go. Dude has a ton of potential for sure though.

flynismo

Practice Squad
He was 1-4 for 8 yards against Buffalo in clean up duty, and didn’t look like a capable starter in the least, not even close. He was way off the mark on his 3 incompletions, and genuinely did not look sharp mechanically. If we started THAT lamar against the bills week 1 we honestly may have lost that game. Preseason I think he had one deep attempt that was on the mark in 5 weeks, and that was into double coverage and Chris Moore made a great catch, he was still throwing ducks on basically any pass that traveled over 10 yards, he was far less willing to sit in the pocket, whipping throws off his back foot, etc.

Preseason/early season lamar was not an nfl caliber qb, and it was pretty obvious to tell, all of us who are mostly very high on lamar all agreed that he was far from ready, but that panthers drive showed a more refined and calmed and confident player than before and we all felt he would be ready soon. The coaches let lamar settle in and clean up his mechanics and get comfortable, and that’s exactly what he did, and for a rookie almost 3 months of learning in a calm practice environment can be huge in making a player feel comfortable when his time comes.

I think what you are seeing is Lamar adjusting to the speed and level of NFL play. That is not the same as progress.

Now had anyone actually asked me what I thought before trying to jump down my throat, I would have told you that I see some clear signs of progress. I would have even given very specific examples of how I feel he has progressed. But this whole thread is very off-putting, and certainly hasn't encouraged me to talk actual football.

Tank

Hall of Famer
LJ’s running abilities have gone a long way in covering up inadequacies in the O line and putting us back into contention for a spot in the tournament. I’m sure his footwork and mechanics have improved since the beginning of the year, he’s now being coached and mentored by NFL players and coaches. While there’s definitely reasons to be optimistic the point Fly and others are making is that we have no idea if he will be what is considered a franchise QB, or the future long time QB of the Ravens. There’s obviously still improvement needed, he’s a 21 yo rookie for god’s sake, and a lot of situations not yet experienced where he will need to prove he can handle pressure and adversity. We all hope Lamar will pan out but some just need to pump the brakes on crowning him king.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You aren’t being negative, critical just means thorough technically. ‍♂️

He is playing well, to say he’s better now than preseason is tough, I mean I hope a rookie qb progresses and learns and is better after four regular season games and tons of practice than he is in his first preseason game. You know what I mean?

I’m enjoying the ride but Lamar has a ways to go. Dude has a ton of potential for sure though.
You would hope a rookie QB progresses but Sam darnold and josh Rosen haven’t progressed at all since preseason, and josh Allen’s progression has been minimal(it’s hard for me to say he’s progressed since he still looks like a panicking twat and turns into a slower rg3 as soon as he makes eye contact with a defender).

Truthfully, baker and Lamar as rookies have looked like the 2 biggest impact QBs of this class and they both are the only ones who have shown real progress, as the others are either the same, or lesser versions of their college selves(I mean really, how does josh Rosen look this bad). If you wanna talk about expecting a rookie QB to progress, yeah it’s expected, but let’s not be a parent who tells their honor student child “you’re supposed to get good grades”, maybe say “hey, this guys progressed better than most of his draftmates, that’s not too shabby”

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think what you are seeing is Lamar adjusting to the speed and level of NFL play. That is not the same as progress.

Now had anyone actually asked me what I thought before trying to jump down my throat, I would have told you that I see some clear signs of progress. I would have even given very specific examples of how I feel he has progressed. But this whole thread is very off-putting, and certainly hasn't encouraged me to talk actual football.
sounds like a backpedal to me.

And Yes, I’m sure you have plenty of factual evidence you were gonna rain down on us with, and we’re just not cool enough to hear it.

flynismo

Practice Squad

And Yes, I’m sure you have plenty of factual evidence you were gonna rain down on us with, and we’re just not cool enough to hear it.

Now that you mention it, you are right, some of you guys really aren't worth my time, at least we can agree on that much.

Also, since you brought it up, where is your "factual evidence"? Or are you still asking me to look at preseason tape and that one pass that one time against that guy?

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad

No the fact is the same crap has been going on for weeks now , people who are super excited about Lamar are seemingly easily triggered by those who even just moderately optimistic but also pumping he breaks on some of the homerism and sensationalism around the former group.

That’s a generalization and not meant as an attack. It just seems everyone is super defensive, particularly on the Lamar Jackson side.

Those who are even “Flacco apologists” aren’t trashing Lamar at all, plenty are happy we are winning and optimistic about Lamar - but the opinions ranging from wanting Joe to start , to wanting Joe just to play a little or come in potentially come playoff time or critical moments - to even those who just don’t want to trash Joe and crown Lamar - those opinions have low tolerance among the majority here. That’s just facts man.