• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mili plenty of us are fine with Lamar but aren’t on board with trashing Joe. You don’t have to be one or the other.

Fly I agree, I’ve said I think Lamar was drafted mainly because of Joe’s age and recent injury history. It’s time to move on, but we don’t have to trash Joe on his way out. Many here arent, but a select few are. And we better hope lamar gets better coaching than Joe did.

Ravdef, preferring Lamar over Joe mustn't always be viewed as a "trashing" of Joe. I appreciate everything that Joe has done and accomplished as a Ravens. I'm grateful! But, that was a long time ago.

I like what my man @flynismo said; "Lamar is one of us..." That's true! And, now that he has been selected to be the man; we need to rally behind him. Again, thanks to Joe for all that he has done but it is time to move on from Flacco. And deep down he knows that. When the Ravens drafted Lamar, the handwriting was on the wall for Flacco.

Last edited:
Mili plenty of us are fine with Lamar but aren’t on board with trashing Joe. You don’t have to be one or the other.

Fly I agree, I’ve said I think Lamar was drafted mainly because of Joe’s age and recent injury history. It’s time to move on, but we don’t have to trash Joe on his way out. Many here arent, but a select few are. And we better hope lamar gets better coaching than Joe did.
Yeah - I think almost 100% of us here understand and appreciate what Joe brought to the team ... even those where were "trashing" him of late. I think a lot of what was said during these debates came off as trashing, as they were defending their position on Lamar. As the debates became heated, Lamar supporters were harshly pointing out many of Joe's shortcomings over the past few years. But Joe's impact on the franchise is undeniable.

I'm happy that almost all who were arguing strongly to not start Lamar either show that they are100% behind him now that the decision has been made (or in a few cases, have just disappeared ...).

Joe's harshest critics have always been from outside of Baltimore. He's always been a punching bag around other fan bases (largely because he was never a good fantasy option - as if that is the measuring stick for quality play). We know what he's done for us - so all those people can go suck it.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
Yeah - I think almost 100% of us here understand and appreciate what Joe brought to the team ... even those where were "trashing" him of late. I think a lot of what was said during these debates came off as trashing, as they were defending their position on Lamar. As the debates became heated, Lamar supporters were harshly pointing out many of Joe's shortcomings over the past few years. But Joe's impact on the franchise is undeniable.

I'm happy that almost all who were arguing strongly to not start Lamar either show that they are100% behind him now that the decision has been made (or in a few cases, have just disappeared ...).

Joe's harshest critics have always been from outside of Baltimore. He's always been a punching bag around other fan bases (largely because he was never a good fantasy option - as if that is the measuring stick for quality play). We know what he's done for us - so all those people can go suck it.

For sure I agree with pretty much all of this.

I wouldn’t have picked Lamar to start or at least if I did I would have leaned more towards a dual qb offense. But if Lamar is going to get most of all of the snaps, so be it. I’ll support him 100%.

flynismo

Practice Squad

Exactly right. We aren't the Baltimore Flaccos or Baltimore Lamars. We stand behind our own, no matter how unacceptable the unibrow is or how low their IQ is.

The people trashing Joe are probably the same ones who did it on the old boards. Mind you, these are the same people who were whining on the message boards the night we won the SB....so I wouldn't exactly take them seriously. Some of them make Lamar look like Rhodes Scholars :D

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Many times in the Super Bowl. He had a wizard play against the Giants in 2012 to Pitta. Texans games in 2009-2011 I remember Joe making tons of plays extending with his legs, more recently he hasn’t because he’s been far less mobile since his knee injury.
People forget how athletic Joe was in his younger years before the hits and injuries started to pile up.

I wish I could have seen prime Flacco in an primarily up tempto, QB roll out offense. I think Lamar could thrive in that style offense as well, forcing the defense to keep the same group on the field without letting them rest as we grind them down.

flynismo

Practice Squad
The heavy load of playbook he took on at Louisville and his ability to progress as quickly as he has as a rookie would say he’s got football smarts. In week 1 lamar would’ve had no business starting and no amount of playbook catering would’ve been sufficient. Add the fact that in practice he’s mostly functioning in packages and as a backup and hasn’t had nearly the exposure that joe has had to the playbook, especially considering our playbook in training camp was pass heavy and fully tailored for joe.

What progression has he shown between week 1 and now? We hardly saw anything from him before he became starter, and he's doing the same thing now as he was before he was starter; ie, run an option, occasionally throw the ball - and not being particularly impressive when he does throw.

I'm all for the enthusiasm and optimism, but we have no clue what we have in Lamar yet, especially given the defenses he faced over the past month. Let's see how he consistently does once he starts facing tougher defenses, and in situational ball. This team needed a change of some kind offensively. We don't know yet if Lamar is the change we needed, we can only hope he is.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
What progression has he shown between week 1 and now? We hardly saw anything from him before he became starter, and he's doing the same thing now as he was before he was starter; ie, run an option, occasionally throw the ball - and not being particularly impressive when he does throw.

I'm all for the enthusiasm and optimism, but we have no clue what we have in Lamar yet, especially given the defenses he faced over the past month. Let's see how he consistently does once he starts facing tougher defenses, and in situational ball. This team needed a change of some kind offensively. We don't know yet if Lamar is the change we needed, we can only hope he is.
Compare his time vs Buffalo and preseason to the past 4 weeks and tell me you really believe what you just said...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
People forget how athletic Joe was in his younger years before the hits and injuries started to pile up.

I wish I could have seen prime Flacco in an primarily up tempto, QB roll out offense. I think Lamar could thrive in that style offense as well, forcing the defense to keep the same group on the field without letting them rest as we grind them down.

Best video on YouTube

flynismo

Practice Squad
Compare his time vs Buffalo and preseason to the past 4 weeks and tell me you really believe what you just said...

You want me to compare preseason football and a handful of snaps in week one to his fumbles, INTs and poor throws over the past few weeks?
Look, I'm a Lamar fan, all day long. I was thrilled that we drafted him, especially after we screwed up and took Hurst instead of Ridley just prior to drafting him. But he has a long way to go before I will feel comfortable with him leading our team. No amount of debate is going to change that. I want to see what he does against good defenses, in situational play, in high pressure games, etc. I look forward to finding out what we have in him. Right now, we don't know what that is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean dude this is just being deliberately obtuse - there's a clear progression and improvement - watch the way his feet move, the way his mechanics work, the way he commands a huddle, the way he runs the zone-read, the way he reads down the field, the effectiveness of his ball fake, even the way he runs has improved, the way he passes too and tell me that he has not improved in every facet of his short career so far from college to his improvements next time we saw him in the HOF game to his improved play by the end of preseason week 4 - to his improved play series-series in the bills game in relief, to his improved play in the series vs the panthers (all the while he's been playing more and more snaps in the offence week by week), to his improved play in his first start vs the bengals and every game since he's got demonstrably better in some facet or another

he literally has showed improvements on a series to series basis

schematically he's doing similar things but the way he's doing them is drastically different

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You want me to compare preseason football and a handful of snaps in week one to his fumbles, INTs and poor throws over the past few weeks?
Look, I'm a Lamar fan, all day long. I was thrilled that we drafted him, especially after we screwed up and took Hurst instead of Ridley just prior to drafting him. But he has a long way to go before I will feel comfortable with him leading our team. No amount of debate is going to change that. I want to see what he does against good defenses, in situational play, in high pressure games, etc. I look forward to finding out what we have in him. Right now, we don't know what that is.
What the hell? I’m not telling you to compare stats for shits sake, just do the goddamn eye test, his passing and mechanics and just flat out ability look miles ahead of where they were in preseason, and this is against starting defenses, because the worst starting defense is better than the best preseason defense, and he looked astronomically better against the chiefs than he looked vs any 4th quarter preseason defense.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ravens lamar as starter only looks similar to Louisville lamar when he runs.

As passers, you can barely tell they’re the same person.

And yes I know he still has a shit ton of improving to do.
That’s the Point I was trying to make. He’s changed a ton

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I didn't say anything about the wonderlic. I said that he seems like he's pretty dumb. The wonderlic does nothing to refute that, btw.
Come on man. That ain't cool, and I'm far from being PC, but imagine if he saw this comment. Give the kid a break.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Lamar literally damn near won us the game against possibly the best team in the NFL. Flacco would've shit the bed. Apologists are a different breed.