• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I actually think I do give Lamar plenty of leeway; not that my or your or anyone's opinion of him or Flacco means much in the grand scheme of things...and hell, not to pat myself on the back, but I predicted that Mayfield and Lamar would be the best QBs from this draft and I nearly shit myself when we pulled the trigger and grabbed Lamar. I was excited to get him as I was when we drafted Flacco.

In case anyone got the wrong idea, my opinion is that these coaches are going to make or break Lamar. I have complete faith that in good hands, Lamar would eventually become a shit stomping monster. So with that being said, he is not in good hands. He is in the hands of the people who took Flacco, a guy who made his mark in this league by throwing bombs on urrbody and was widely recognized by media and players as the premier deep passer in the league, and turned him into Checkdown Charlie. These are the people we are trusting to bring the best out of Lamar.
So there lies my frustration. These idiots are going to ruin him. Rather than let him loose and grow as a passer like I clamored for -- because I KNOW Lamar can handle it even if these idiot coaches don't -- they pulled that shit last week. So now if Lamar is going to realize his potential, he has to say fuck the coaches and do it on his own. I'm upset because these fuckers are going to go and break my heart; all my excitement and hopes and dreams when we called Lamar's name are dwindling each week. It's the same feeling I have had these past three years watching Flacco throw designed 4 yard dumps to TE's and RBs. Maybe it isn't fair to take it out on Lamar, but fuck man...
James Urban has done a very good job with him and expect him to continue doing well.

I think we got more than anyone expected from Lamar this season, no rookie is ever going to march to a superbowl but he won a bunch of games and got us to the playoffs. Personally I dont think coaching will be as much a deciding factor on his success as his desire to improve his efficiency which means relying more heavily on passing, in this era you have to pass to win.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think we got more than anyone expected from Lamar this season, no rookie is ever going to march to a superbowl but he won a bunch of games and got us to the playoffs. Personally I dont think coaching will be as much a deciding factor on his success as his desire to improve his efficiency which means relying more heavily on passing, in this era you have to pass to win.
and no one is questioning his desire either. He is an extremely hard worker, not a kid who just came into the league who doesn't think he needs to work to improve, like many others before him.

flynismo

Practice Squad
James Urban has done a very good job with him and expect him to continue doing well.
It doesn't matter how poorly or how well Urban does with him when you have an OC who doesn't have a clue how to deal with pass rushers coming up the middle, who sticks with a gimmick offense when it is getting devoured for 3 1/2 quarters of a playoff game, ah hell I can go on all night about that moron. All Marty has to do is get the hell out of the way.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Love your analysis of Flacco being "formed" into "Check down Charlie". They took a Howitzer and tried to turn him into a poker table Derringer.
The more they tried to get him to "Brain the Game", the worse he got. Worse yet, they never understood his vulnerabilities and they pulled the rug out from under him with receiver mismanagement. You all know the big one. The one Flacco lobbied for, the same one they nickeled and dimed
away.

I know that I've never seen a Quarterback as quick as Lamar Jackson. Expected his quickness to be negated with the speed in the NFL and it was, to a degree, but he's still the quickest "fast twitch" NFL QB I've ever seen. However, contrary to your enthusiasm, I don't believe quickness is the hallmark trait of a Franchise QB in the NFL and he should not have been drafted on that alone. It may help him, (and did), to evade the pass rush and run. But if that is all that he has, it won't be enough. He needs to read the field and throw with accuracy and in that department, if one is candid, he remains a horrific train wreck.

Lets see Lamar play a full year at QB, employ that Quickness as his predominate trait and see if he can stay in one piece. Lamar's running over those last 8 games was effective. It caught the league by surprise. We could buck this Passing League by having a great defense and running them over, but its a longshot and I'm betting against.

We'll be viable, as long as the defense keeps us in games, 2000, but we don't have an NFL caliber QB now. He'd make a great cornerback and you know where I'd start him.

I actually think I do give Lamar plenty of leeway; not that my or your or anyone's opinion of him or Flacco means much in the grand scheme of things...and hell, not to pat myself on the back, but I predicted that Mayfield and Lamar would be the best QBs from this draft and I nearly shit myself when we pulled the trigger and grabbed Lamar. I was excited to get him as I was when we drafted Flacco.

In case anyone got the wrong idea, my opinion is that these coaches are going to make or break Lamar. I have complete faith that in good hands, Lamar would eventually become a shit stomping monster. So with that being said, he is not in good hands. He is in the hands of the people who took Flacco, a guy who made his mark in this league by throwing bombs on urrbody and was widely recognized by media and players as the premier deep passer in the league, and turned him into Checkdown Charlie. These are the people we are trusting to bring the best out of Lamar.
So there lies my frustration. These idiots are going to ruin him. Rather than let him loose and grow as a passer like I clamored for -- because I KNOW Lamar can handle it even if these idiot coaches don't -- they pulled that shit last week. So now if Lamar is going to realize his potential, he has to say fuck the coaches and do it on his own. I'm upset because these fuckers are going to go and break my heart; all my excitement and hopes and dreams when we called Lamar's name are dwindling each week. It's the same feeling I have had these past three years watching Flacco throw designed 4 yard dumps to TE's and RBs. Maybe it isn't fair to take it out on Lamar, but fuck man...

It doesn't matter how poorly or how well Urban does with him when you have an OC who doesn't have a clue how to deal with pass rushers coming up the middle, who sticks with a gimmick offense when it is getting devoured for 3 1/2 quarters of a playoff game, ah hell I can go on all night about that moron. All Marty has to do is get the hell out of the way.

Well you can blame Marty if you like, and I certainly have my issues with him, but Marty does what Harbs tells him to do. The game plan against the chargers was the same game plan as the previous 6 games. Play to Lamar’s strengths. The problem was that they had no plan B for Lamar. No adjustments were made to stop the middle rush that was blowing up both the running and passing games. The hurry up offense might have helped slow their D down, or plays designed to get rid of the ball quickly. Screens, quick slants, quick outs, might have helped. And I think part of it was that with Lamar in there the playbook was very limited because he’s so young, and his passing game is so limited at this point.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well you can blame Marty if you like, and I certainly have my issues with him, but Marty does what Harbs tells him to do. The game plan against the chargers was the same game plan as the previous 6 games. Play to Lamar’s strengths. The problem was that they had no plan B for Lamar. No adjustments were made to stop the middle rush that was blowing up both the running and passing games. The hurry up offense might have helped slow their D down, or plays designed to get rid of the ball quickly. Screens, quick slants, quick outs, might have helped. And I think part of it was that with Lamar in there the playbook was very limited because he’s so young, and his passing game is so limited at this point.
MArty just got either fired or demoted as Greg ROman is the new OC.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
But when they told lamar to let er’ rip, what happened...

Maybe the lack of faith was misfounded and harbaugh and his guy are hamstringing yet another qb. They said “lamar is our guy and he’s staying in the game” yet they refused to believe in him until the game was out of reach. The coaching staff in that game was one big fat oxymoron and as much as I like harbaugh, I don’t believe he’s the one to guide this team with an unconventional style like this, he’s too afraid to trust a player with the slightest deficiency and he will try to mask that deficiency to a fault

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I guess he is referring to facing criticism and dealing with the media? lamar dont need cam for that lol. Cam is mentally weak, lamar isnt.
“When you have a problem, Handle it like I do young buck, flail your fists and kick your legs as you roll around on the ground pouting, that works for me!”

Really though, while I don’t like how cam conducts himself on the field, he’s just an incredible person, he’s as philanthropic as they come, and he genuinely loves his fans and loves the game, and deep down those tantrums and poor sportsmanship is just the competitive fire showing itself in a strange way. While I don’t think lamar has any shortage of character himself, maybe cam feels he can just be a mentor as a grown man to a kid who just turned 22.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
“When you have a problem, Handle it like I do young buck, flail your fists and kick your legs as you roll around on the ground pouting, that works for me!”

Really though, while I don’t like how cam conducts himself on the field, he’s just an incredible person, he’s as philanthropic as they come, and he genuinely loves his fans and loves the game, and deep down those tantrums and poor sportsmanship is just the competitive fire showing itself in a strange way. While I don’t think lamar has any shortage of character himself, maybe cam feels he can just be a mentor as a grown man to a kid who just turned 22.

tbf the only reason cam has to be histrionic on the field is because refs have never protected him the same as other qbs so he has to play it up to get that equal treatment

flynismo

Practice Squad
But when they told lamar to let er’ rip, what happened...

Maybe the lack of faith was misfounded and harbaugh and his guy are hamstringing yet another qb. They said “lamar is our guy and he’s staying in the game” yet they refused to believe in him until the game was out of reach. The coaching staff in that game was one big fat oxymoron and as much as I like harbaugh, I don’t believe he’s the one to guide this team with an unconventional style like this, he’s too afraid to trust a player with the slightest deficiency and he will try to mask that deficiency to a fault

Perfectly stated.
I guess to be cynical, one could say that LAC was playing soft the final minutes of the game, allowing Lamar to finally have some success. And I suppose there is a lot of truth to that. But the point still stands, they did not have faith in Lamar, and have been babying him to his detriment.
And now with Roman as the OC, a guy who loves to run the ball as much as possible, I'm really afraid for Lamar. He has too much raw talent for these idiots to just squander.