• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
K
The thing is Mili if you listen to Ryan’s actual comment it had zero to do with what you are saying. Just ask Richard Sherman. And I doubt this “glass ceiling” you speak of exists with most. I mean for all intent and purpose Russ Wilson won a SB, Pete Carroll just stole it from him. lol
mili isn’t speaking only in reference to Tim Ryan’s comments, I agree that his comments were more stupid and ignorant than anything and really shouldn’t be taken as something that requires deeper thought, he’s talking about the negative views about black QBs in the nfl, and they’re there, there honestly shouldn’t be any question about it lol, cam newton was as dominant a player as any for stretch, and he was a little bit of a diva, but not to the detriment of his team by any means, and he was an absolute slam dunk of a character off the field, so why was he one of the most hated men in all of sports for basically his entire tenure? Answer is because he’s a black qb dominating the league with a big ol confident smile on his face. If mike Vick was white, the dog shit would be halfway forgotten by now. Half the Ravens fans who didn’t want Lamar were hiding behind VERY thinly veiled complaints of accuracy when they so obviously couldn’t accept a black QB with an Afro and strong Florida accent. Analysts were saying things like “he’s a visual learner” implying he can’t read a playbook, people were saying players wouldn’t understand him in the huddle. Like even analysts were saying blatantly racist shit about Lamar, saying things that they would NEVER say about any white qb and just totally assuming that Lamar is simple minded and dumb and for no reason, they wouldn’t say these things about a Brett favre or rivers or Peyton who sound every bit as country as Lamar.

I think the Tim Ryan thing is being blown way out of proportion, but mili is right about the general views of black QBs, it’s gone on for way too long and the media’s treatment of Lamar brought it to the spotlight and then Lamar made sure it blew up in everyone’s face. But I don’t think Tim Ryan’s comments, and milis comments, should be related in any way lol, Ryan just said some dumb ignorant shid.

Tank

Hall of Famer
K

mili isn’t speaking only in reference to Tim Ryan’s comments, I agree that his comments were more stupid and ignorant than anything and really shouldn’t be taken as something that requires deeper thought, he’s talking about the negative views about black QBs in the nfl, and they’re there, there honestly shouldn’t be any question about it lol, cam newton was as dominant a player as any for stretch, and he was a little bit of a diva, but not to the detriment of his team by any means, and he was an absolute slam dunk of a character off the field, so why was he one of the most hated men in all of sports for basically his entire tenure? Answer is because he’s a black qb dominating the league with a big ol confident smile on his face. If mike Vick was white, the dog shit would be halfway forgotten by now. Half the Ravens fans who didn’t want Lamar were hiding behind VERY thinly veiled complaints of accuracy when they so obviously couldn’t accept a black QB with an Afro and strong Florida accent. Analysts were saying things like “he’s a visual learner” implying he can’t read a playbook, people were saying players wouldn’t understand him in the huddle. Like even analysts were saying blatantly racist shit about Lamar, saying things that they would NEVER say about any white qb and just totally assuming that Lamar is simple minded and dumb and for no reason, they wouldn’t say these things about a Brett favre or rivers or Peyton who sound every bit as country as Lamar.

I think the Tim Ryan thing is being blown way out of proportion, but mili is right about the general views of black QBs, it’s gone on for way too long and the media’s treatment of Lamar brought it to the spotlight and then Lamar made sure it blew up in everyone’s face. But I don’t think Tim Ryan’s comments, and milis comments, should be related in any way lol, Ryan just said some dumb ignorant shid.
Some of what you say is true, but I think much of it is how the media wishes to promote and spin it. If this kind of meaningless stuff keeps getting blown up it just feeds the problem. And if we don’t recognize it for what it is nothing will ever get better.

Completely disagree about Vick though. The condemnation of people fighting dogs has nothing to do with skin color, that’s just some gruesome, hideous, unforgivable crap.

Last edited:

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
We need a white man to shatter the CB glass ceiling.

If only Andy Isabella played CB instead of wr... he’s the rare white guy who’s fast enough. Dammit.

Back in the day, there was a white man named Jason Sehorn who was a baaaaaad man at the safety position for the Giants. He was a beast and I absolutely loved watching that cat ball out!

Last edited:

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
The thing is Mili if you listen to Ryan’s actual comment it had zero to do with what you are saying. Just ask Richard Sherman. And I doubt this “glass ceiling” you speak of exists with most. I mean for all intent and purpose Russ Wilson won a SB, Pete Carroll just stole it from him. lol

First, I did listen to what Ryan said. C'mon now Tank. :huh:

Ryan said and I quote: "He's (Lamar) really good at that fake. Lamar Jackson. But, when you consider when he's...HIS DARK SKIN COLOR....with a dark football.....with a dark uniform; you could not see that thing! I mean, you literally could not see when he (Lamar) was in and out of the mesh point."

Now, that brief snippet had everything to do with what I said previously. I never called him a racist but what he said is definitely rooted in white racist and bigoted and systemic ideologies concerning black people that have been intentionally perpetrated against my community down through the years.

Secondly, Richard Sherman doesn't represent the views of nor does he speak for everyone in my community. :cool:

DMH_in_WA

Practice Squad
Secondly, Richard Sherman doesn't represent the views of nor does he speak for everyone in my community. :cool:

There's also the fact that Lamar burned Sherman all day long on his fakes. Ryan's statement gives him a reason for why it happened. Not saying that's 100% why he said it, but that's out there.

Weddle just came out with no excuses and said the way they handle the ball, he couldn't tell who had it. And that was purple jerseys with gold numbers.

Tank

Hall of Famer

Ryan said and I quote: "He's (Lamar) really good at that fake. Lamar Jackson. But, when you consider when he's...HIS DARK SKIN COLOR....with a dark football.....with a dark uniform; you could not see that thing! I mean, you literally could not see when he (Lamar) was in and out of the mesh point."

Now, that brief snippet had everything to do with what I said previously. I never called him a racist but what he said is definitely rooted in white racist and bigoted and systemic ideologies concerning black people that have been intentionally perpetrated against my community down through the years.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

See that’s where I disagree, I just don’t see this as something rooted in systemic racism, this was a dumbass off the cuff remark for a guy who was flailing for an explanation of how the team he commentates for got gashed on the ground all day

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some of what you say is true, but I think much of it is how the media wishes to promote and spin it. If this kind of meaningless stuff keeps getting blown up it just feeds the problem. And if we don’t recognize it for what it is nothing will ever get better.

Completely disagree about Vick though. The condemnation of people fighting dogs has nothing to do with skin color, that’s just some gruesome, hideous, unforgivable crap.

if it was just the media then you wouldnt have scouts and gms from teams asking lamar to work out at wr during the combine as one example
especially around the draft a lot of what the media says - especially the closer you get to the draft - is influenced by figures within teams who they talk to

rossihunter2

Staff Member

this is 100% the most crucial part - it may not be a conscious ideology but there's subconscious bias formed from various factors but ultimately facilitated by an historic system of oppression and a lack of acknowledgement by powerful white figures in the sport that the system ever really existed in that sense

but ultimately that doesnt change the effect of the words that ryan said - his intentions may not have been to root something in race but his mind went there because its conditioned into him and lots of others by this systemic and historic racism all over our culture

rossihunter2

Staff Member
See that’s where I disagree, I just don’t see this as something rooted in systemic racism, this was a [profanity deleted] off the cuff remark for a guy who was flailing for an explanation of how the team he commentates for got gashed on the ground all day

i think the thing is, he doesnt make this comment unless there's some subconscious biases that ingrained in the way people talk and experience the NFL (and wider society) and while the intention might not have been to be racist, there's still a system around Ryan that has affected the way he thinks and experiences the sport and it has led to him saying what he said even if that's not what he meant

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
See that’s where I disagree, I just don’t see this as something rooted in systemic racism, this was a [profanity deleted] off the cuff remark for a guy who was flailing for an explanation of how the team he commentates for got gashed on the ground all day

See and that's where I disagree. Unfortunately, white people (not all of course) have been conditioned in this nation over the years to "think about," and "view" black people and the black male in particular; in a certain light. Historically, that was done through a "system". Now, as a black man who has dealt with racism my entire life, I could go on and on about the various vehicles used in that "system" that aided in formulating white America's views about my community but time would fail us and it would be futile in a forum instead of our having a sit-down face to face encounter to discuss important matters such as these. :cool:

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Naw my brotha! Nothing ironic about my response whatsoever! :not me: It was well thought out prior to being posted so it wouldn't be taken out of context or perceived the wrong way. In context; I was giving historical clarity as to why statements like Tom Ryan's still exist in relation to a black athlete-a QB in particular. Unfortunately, the notion that a dual-threat, mobile, athletic black QB can't win the Super Bowl like the typical prototypical 6'6 stand in the pocket white QB can; is the remaining glass ceiling that a black man has to shatter in the NFL. And the threat of that happening clearly makes white racists nervous because of it threatening to destroy their erroneous racist and bigoted ideologies. And, that's a great thing!

And yes, it would be crazy for Lamar to win both the MVP and the SB MVP in the same season. Wow!

Its a glass ceiling that needs to be shattered but Russel Wilson...…….. I think has already done that lol. Historic QBs like Doug Williams and Warren Moon previously shattered any myth about black QBs.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
this is 100% the most crucial part - it may not be a conscious ideology but there's subconscious bias formed from various factors but ultimately facilitated by an historic system of oppression and a lack of acknowledgement by powerful white figures in the sport that the system ever really existed in that sense

but ultimately that doesnt change the effect of the words that ryan said - his intentions may not have been to root something in race but his mind went there because its conditioned into him and lots of others by this systemic and historic racism all over our culture

Absolutely!

LoaK8L2.gif

Last edited:

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
K

No the dog fighting was way too serious unless you want to buy that it was culture which people should know wrong from right. He did a good job tho of performing his duties as an ambassador against the cruelty of animals and he served his time so it was proper for him to play again in the NFL. The man definitely deserved forgiveness and this from a major dog lover.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its a glass ceiling that needs to be shattered but Russel Wilson...…….. I think has already done that lol. Historic QBs like Doug Williams and Warren Moon previously shattered any myth about black QBs.

Not necessarily. I get what you are saying; cats like Moon, Cunningham, Vick and definitely Doug Williams shattered the myth that a black man couldn't play the QB position. And yes, Wilson won a Super Bowl title but let's keep it real; his complexion doesn't look like Lamar's. He doesn't have that "DARK SKIN" as Ryan mentioned. And, he definitely doesn't wear afro-centric braids.

Last edited: