• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
Yup. And that's what I mean. It's not that the offense wasn't capable of coming back, they were more than capable. It was there. They just had to catch uncontested passes. That Roberts drop, especially when it happened, really got me. It also reminded me of the drop issue he had in Oakland (didn't he have one year with a ridiculous 10% or 15% dropped pass rate)?

Yes- In fact when the play happened my twitter feed filled with Oakland fans reminding everyone that this was the real Seth Roberts.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's frustrating that we're in this process of review already but there's been a lot of criticism of jackson and not enough recognition that outside of the 2 ints, the fumble and maybe 1 or 2 other plays, we called on him to be a passer 70 times and he was ultimately very successful on those plays

this tweet and article are enlightening for those who are in any way thinking about this game as a referendum on lamar as a qb...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/nfl-ravens-titans-lamar-jackson-film-analysis

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's frustrating that we're in this process of review already but there's been a lot of criticism of jackson and not enough recognition that outside of the 2 ints, the fumble and maybe 1 or 2 other plays, we called on him to be a passer 70 times and he was ultimately very successful on those plays

this tweet and article are enlightening for those who are in any way thinking about this game as a referendum on lamar as a qb...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/nfl-ravens-titans-lamar-jackson-film-analysis

Just want to make sure everyone watches all the clips in the link Rossi provided and not just the tweet. It's really impressive and definitely more GREAT thinks to come.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i think what was most interesting about the article was that lamar as a passer is better and more effective without play-action - he's been awesome out of empty all year but its hard to emphasise just how good...

and i wonder if partly its because it allows him to spread out the defence and identify weaknesses in the coverage quicker but i also wonder if his mechanics are better as a dropback passer than off playaction with a fake e.g. where he has to turn and reset his feet

just a thought - not saying its right or wrong

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
this is a repost from RSR:

I've been impressed the 3 times I've heard Joshua Harris talk with 105.7 The Fan. He doesn't oversell Lamar or himself. He's knowledgeable. He knows what Lamar needs to work on, and what he does well.

Some things I remember him saying about Lamar:

1. If he wants Lamar to do something perfectly, Harris just needs to say "No way you can do that.." and Lamar crushes it every time. (LOL)
  2. Harris has given up on Lamar not having his pinky on the nose of the ball. Harris laughed while saying that.
  3. He has a hard time getting Lamar getting to agree that any individual thing (MVP, Pro Bowl, yardage marks) should be his goal because Lamar is so team oriented.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
this is a repost from RSR:

I've been impressed the 3 times I've heard Joshua Harris talk with 105.7 The Fan. He doesn't oversell Lamar or himself. He's knowledgeable. He knows what Lamar needs to work on, and what he does well.

Some things I remember him saying about Lamar:

1. If he wants Lamar to do something perfectly, Harris just needs to say "No way you can do that.." and Lamar crushes it every time. (LOL)
  2. Harris has given up on Lamar not having his pinky on the nose of the ball. Harris laughed while saying that.
  3. He has a hard time getting Lamar getting to agree that any individual thing (MVP, Pro Bowl, yardage marks) should be his goal because Lamar is so team oriented.

which is why i think the most important thing harris did for lamar other than guide him in how to improve (because lamar was gonna try and get better whatever) was to force him to reset and talk through the chargers loss - and i hope and expect he'll do the same this time around because you dont want that to fester

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
which is why i think the most important thing harris did for lamar other than guide him in how to improve (because lamar was gonna try and get better whatever) was to force him to reset and talk through the chargers loss - and i hope and expect he'll do the same this time around because you dont want that to fester
not going to lie, but I was a bit concerned when Lamar was working with Harris, this past offseason and not the more well known QB coach that seems to work with QBs and get them prepared for the combine, etc.... Can't remember his name.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
tom house?
latest

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I keep seeing this thing about the team being unable to come back if they got down. I'm not buying it. If they had been shutdown from moving the ball, yea. I'd agree, but that's not what happened in this game. They moved the ball. Even starting most of their drives inside their own 10-20yd all game. The plays were there to score. It wasn't the Titans stopping them in a lot of those drives, but people not making plays they made EVERY game all season.

Lamar did not have his A-game but he was more than good enough for them to win this game if his receivers just catch the uncontested balls they've been catching all year. Hollywood showed up to play (I am so excited to see him and Lamar next year when he's 100%). The rest of the guys didn't need that level of play .. they just needed the normal catch the ball day at the office and all the other stuff takes a back seat. There were what, 2 drops that were pretty much TDs or at the very least massive momentum changing long plays? Seth Roberts, are you kidding me? There was nothing but green grass the rest of the field. And a third play which is probably a TD if he catches it is the Hurst ball that hit him dead in his chest. Was Lamar a second too early throwing? Hurst a second too late turning his head? All I know is Hurst looked really deep not to already be looking for the ball, but I don't know.

Any one of those plays and it's a way different game despite everything else. The plays were there for the taking without any heroics but just normal play. Catch the ball.
The fact that we were down 14-6 at half and still really come out running the ball lets me know we cant come from behind.. we lost our identity because we werent used to trailing from such a big deficit

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The fact that we were down 14-6 at half and still really come out running the ball lets me know we cant come from behind.. we lost our identity because we werent used to trailing from such a big deficit
No reason not to be running the ball in the beginning of the 2nd half, we were only behind by one score. We came back from the Browns down 10-0 prior to the half. This team has the ability to score and to score fast and would have done so if the receivers decided to catch the ball or the ones who ran the wrong route, actually ran the correct route.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
Looks like the eagles are interested in making Urban their O coordinator I feel like this could be bad I really don’t want to lose him he has been so good with Lamar